U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 08:25 PM

63 posts, read 220,703 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a job in Southlake and we would move from out of state. We are finding nice houses in Keller but I am worried about the commute to Southlake and/or other Dallas areas in the future if he changed jobs. Is there a central location that would provide great schools but be between Southlake and some of the major employer areas? Dallas seems to be a very large and spread out area. Our budget is under $450k given the property taxes we have read about. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 08:29 PM

10,573 posts, read 22,505,313 times
That's a valid concern, especially if you choose to live west of Southlake in Keller. Except for Alliance, there are very few jobs out that direction. I can say that I live to the east in Grapevine, and I have commuted to both Dallas and Tarant County locations from here with little trouble.

$450k doesn't go that far in Southlake, but it will buy nice houses in Colleyville and Grapevine...

Old 07-09-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
That's a valid concern, especially if you choose to live west of Southlake in Keller. Except for Alliance, there are very few jobs out that direction. I can say that I live to the east in Grapevine, and I have commuted to both Dallas and Tarant County locations from here with little trouble.

$450k doesn't go that far in Southlake, but it will buy nice houses in Colleyville and Grapevine...
Thank you. It is hard to know what the commutes are like looking at a map. Our house is $600k in Seattle but who would guess the property taxes were higher in Dallas than here!

Old 07-09-2012, 08:46 PM

10,573 posts, read 22,505,313 times
Property taxes depend on where you live, and Southlake is one of the higher ones. Also, WA has a state income tax, and Texas does not.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:54 PM

36,871 posts, read 41,063,119 times
Yeah, I'd bet if you took your total property & state income tax it would be higher than our property tax on a $400k home.

South Flower Mound would be a great place for you guys also.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:03 PM

350 posts, read 677,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Property taxes depend on where you live, and Southlake is one of the higher ones. Also, WA has a state income tax, and Texas does not.
I don't believe Washington has a State Income tax, but I might be mistaken.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:05 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,088,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PISDstudent View Post
I don't believe Washington has a State Income tax, but I might be mistaken.
WA has no state income tax. They do have a sales tax.

(Oregon has no sales tax but an income tax. Residents of Vancouver, Washington [no, not THAT Vancouver, a small burb of Portland just across the Columbia River] will often drive across for shopping. Dunno how much WA state has tried to crack down on that)

Old 07-09-2012, 09:07 PM

32,625 posts, read 51,223,469 times
property taxes are major support of school taxes for each district
some people are willing to pay higher home tax to be in better school district

another court case is going to come up about the state's inability to support a quality education for ALL students regardless of where they live...not the first time and since the legislature and the justices are just a little bent they probably won't get this one right either...

Even though our house market has been fairly decent most people would say don't buy any home if you plan on having to sell within 5 years--you will lose money...so if your husband is thinking he might not stay with this particular job for 4-5 yrs maybe you want to rent
lot of people are doing that because they are from out of area
has made rental homes highly desireable and competition/rents are higher than they used to be
but because some people had to move because of recession and couldn't sell their homes there are more rental homes on market than in past--so there is kind of catch 22 about that issue

Look at a map of the DFW area
you can see that the middle has Hwy 360 splitting it pretty much in half
The west side of Dallas which is east of DFW like Las Colinas area which has decent Irving schools and some nice homes/amenities makes getting into FTW area/Southlake more difficult

Being in Keller on west side makes even getting into downtown FTW a problem most people grow to hate
so the East/West ying/yang is a serious consideration
some freeways are under construction and will be for next two yrs or so -- compounding the commute problem

Coppell has strong ISD, stable housing market, good amenities, and you can get an older, nice home for your price
some areas get flight noise from planes at DFW though

Lewisville might be worth checking out--good schools...access is getting better to road system

Grapevine is popular, has historic downtown, easy access to Southlake --Hwy 114 is under construction for next two years so freeway access for other locations not that great and Grapevine's Hwy 26 is also under construction in places making that surface road a pain

sounds like the problem is really will your husband commit to this particular job for long enough to make buying ahome viable

Old 07-09-2012, 09:17 PM

Thanks everyone for all of the input. When we arrived in Seattle we also rented for a year first to really know where to end up. I am not seeing many rentals in Southlake or even Keller. WA does not have state income tax but has incredibly high taxes on everything else and a high cost of living. We were hoping to "downgrade" our expenses if we came to TX.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:42 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,088,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just*us View Post
Thanks everyone for all of the input. When we arrived in Seattle we also rented for a year first to really know where to end up. I am not seeing many rentals in Southlake or even Keller. WA does not have state income tax but has incredibly high taxes on everything else and a high cost of living. We were hoping to "downgrade" our expenses if we came to TX.
Define "incredibly high taxes". Sales tax in Seattle is 9.5%, here in Dallas it is (unless I'm mistaken) 8.5%. Neither has an income tax. Property taxes here are generally 2% to 2.5% of house value (for the general areas you're looking at, in Dallas County it'll likely be closer to 2.75%), however housing in the greater Dallas-Fort Worth area (aka "the Metroplex") will be much cheaper, so your absolute property tax amount may be lower if you spend less on a house. However, you may want to buy more house at the same price (I COMPLETELY understand that desire!), so again, budget for the property tax amount.

Utility bills, ESPECIALLY cooling, will likely be much higher than you're used to in Seattle, even moreso if you get a larger house. As you are likely aware, it gets mighty hot down here in the summer. It's pretty much always above 90 and the average high for all of July and August is ~95. It's not as humid as Seattle, but
yeah, the summer here is largely spent going from one air conditioned place to another.

Gas is most likely cheaper here, but you may find yourself driving longer differences.

If you're the type of person who needs sun and can't stand the constant overcast and drizzle-mist for 4+ months of the year you get up there, you'll enjoy Texas. However, if you've grown accustomed to mountains and trees and natural splendor...well, get unadjusted. Texas is flat, kinda brown and not known for majestic natural beauty. To steal my comment from another thread, if you hate the overcast and drizzle with the white hot heat of a million suns, none of which you can see in Seattle, well, come down here where all those suns are parked for the summer.

There are all sorts of subtle (and not-so-subtle) cultural differences between Seattle and Texas, and they can't easily be grouped into just "more liberal" vs. "more conservative", although yes, there's certainly that. Dunno where else you've lived so don't know how familiar you are with various parts of the country other than the Pacific Northwest.

If you haven't been here yet, I'd recommend visiting to get a feel for the area. I'm assuming that your husband is getting something of an "offer he can't refuse" to move.

Good luck to you. For areas, with a bit more access to other parts of DFW if job situation changed, I'd agree that southeastern Flower Mound would be a good choice. Coppell is also a possibility, but it's fairly pricey (albeit not as much as Southlake) and homes there sell very fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas