Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 09:57 AM

15 posts, read 28,177 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I am about to graduate from college and have been given a job offer to work as a financial analyst at Lockheed Martin in their Fort Worth office. I left a post here a very long time ago but cannot find it. I would like to live in a dense neighborhood of Dallas. I do not know if Fort Worth has any urban density at all if so where? But if I choose to live in Dallas how is the commute to FW on a daily basis? After growing up in Suburban Detroit for my whole life I want to live in a neighborhood (Fort Worth or Dallas) that is extremely walk/bike friendly with all amenities in walking distance, As well as being very dense in terms of buildings etc. Thanks for reading everybody.

Lance.

Mod Note: Here is your previous thread posted in the Ft. Worth Forum: //www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...l-me-fort.html

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-10-2012 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: mod note added
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 09:59 AM

270 posts, read 587,057 times
Fort Worth is much more fun than Dallas. All of the locals know it.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:51 AM

6 posts, read 12,462 times
I know someone who lives in Dallas and works at LM in Fort Worth. He and his wife very much enjoy living in the Uptown area of Dallas...the commute to and from west FW can be taxing, but for the amenities that Uptown Dallas offers, he definitely finds it worth the tradeoff.

OTOH, Downtown FW and Near Southside are quite nice. While they may not be as happening as Uptown Dallas is, they are, nonetheless, great places to live... and bike friendly. Read up on Near Southside here: Fort Worth South, Inc.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:23 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,756,032 times
I can totally relate to wanting to live in an area like Uptown, or something similar in Dallas, especially if you are single but to make that drive 5 days a week is torture, (because I did that for over a year driving from FW to Dallas for work..it royally sucked until I moved to the Dallas area) not to mention the amount of gas you would be using and the time spent in your car. Lockheed Martin is on the west side of FW too, you would have to go through downtown to get there if you travel on I-30. Have you visited the DFW area to get a feeling of to expect because it is huge and there is construction everywhere.

As the previous post mentioned, FW has come a LONG way since I lived there, and for the better. It all depends on what is the most important to you.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:24 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,169,901 times
It's going against traffic so it's really not that bad a commute if there's not an accident or ice. (And assuming you're taking I-30 west and coming from North Oak Cliff, downtown or Uptown, not somewhere up in North Dallas). But, door to door, it's still 30-60 minutes out of your life, twice a day, assuming you have to go into the office every day. Not to mention the gas (the price of which is rising again) and wear and tear on your car. Though if you plan to be hanging out in Dallas 4-5 nights a week, you're going to be doing that drive anyway, then it's perhaps just as well to live in Dallas. I'd rather do that drive during the day (to and from work) than at night (for pleasure).

Near Southside in Fort Worth is cool, is walkable, and there's a growing bicycle culture there. But it doesn't yet have the density of Uptown. West 7th in Fort Worth is sort of Dallas Lite (Fireside Pies, Patrizio's, Tillman's, etc.) and the apartments are on the pricy side and you'd be closer to work.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:45 AM

15 posts, read 28,177 times
No I have not been to DFW, I have not accepted the offer yet but I am going to Dallas in September for the Cowboys Classic game (Alabama vs UMichigan, I will be alum). But I will take up what everyone is saying, and other wise. I do appreciate the responses though. Thanks everyone.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:21 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times
I have a friend who works there that is from the Park Cities in Dallas...she couldn't handle the commute and moved to Ft. Worth. I'll have to ask what part.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:26 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Take the job. It's a career opportunity and a chance to get in to the building. A opp that may not again come along for a while. You'll find a place in Fort Worth that satisfies your inner city living needs and will be just as satisfied as if you lived in Dallas. And the trip to Dallas a couple of times a month will be something more than a mundane hanging out with the locals. 'Cause when you're standing on that street corner and see the people coming and going, it doesn't really matter what that street corner is, any where on the planet.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:32 PM

990 posts, read 2,302,731 times
there are pockets of urban living, especially west of downtown and the new So7 area near the cultural district. Not as big or developed as the inner-city Dallas areas, but Sundance in downtown Ft Worth is more lively, but decidely more family or older adult oriented compared to Uptown, Oaklawn or Knox-Henderson.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:32 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Agree w Tofurkey. LM is an excellent place to work! Give FW a try and you just might like it. And there is no good reason to make such an awfully long commute!

FWIW, I'm sitting in a cafe on W 7th enjoying lunch while I type this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas