Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 05:46 PM

14 posts, read 23,650 times

Advertisements

OP,

We heard from da Vinci. No luck but there was a very sweet note on the letter. Wish you much better luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 11:15 AM

19 posts, read 50,917 times
Our letter came today, as well. I'm sad to report that our search for a Plan B continues for this year, and the whole process starts over again for age 3. *Sigh*

Honestly, I think the decision to accept some students and reject others has nothing to do with luck--it has a lot to do with factors beyond our control and some that we don't even know about. We do our best with what we can control, and knowing that we've done all we can, there are no regrets.

Now comes the question..."Now what!?!"

Old 07-19-2012, 11:41 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,283,809 times
Well, first of all, don't stress. Whether your daughter gets accepted to Greenhill or Hockaday depends far more on the child than the preschool. A few years ago 3-4 girls got in from HP Presby Day School. That is a nice little school, but does not have the reputation of some of the other schools referenced herein. Nonetheless, these girls must have done well on their tests and got admitted. My point is that about half of the 36 kids admitted to Hockaday come from the usual schools (Lamplighter, Meadowbrook, Alcuin, DaVinci), but the other half come from schools you have probably never heard of, but provide a nice education.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
Well, first of all, don't stress. Whether your daughter gets accepted to Greenhill or Hockaday depends far more on the child than the preschool. A few years ago 3-4 girls got in from HP Presby Day School. That is a nice little school, but does not have the reputation of some of the other schools referenced herein. Nonetheless, these girls must have done well on their tests and got admitted. My point is that about half of the 36 kids admitted to Hockaday come from the usual schools (Lamplighter, Meadowbrook, Alcuin, DaVinci), but the other half come from schools you have probably never heard of, but provide a nice education.
Thank you, HockDad. It is very reassuring to hear that. I really wish my little one was old enough to be tested--she is way ahead of the curve right now. I fear that if I don't get her in a good program between now and testing age, the other kids who were admitted to the private schools already will have caught up to her, plus they'll have had the advantage of being in a school setting for an entire school season. Your post reinforces the point that none of this will matter if she has the brains and tests well. I just hope that's the case--that she will test well, when the time comes. My daughter knows things other kids her age do not, like colors, shapes, numbers, the alphabet and basic phonics, etc. and does all the normal things that kids do (plays with puzzles, plays on the playground, does art, imaginative play, loves books, etc.), but she has serious problem solving skills, astounding memory (plays matching games with 6-8 pairs), and a crazy vocabulary for her age (speaks in 5-7 word sentences, using pronouns), the list goes on. All of these things will be expected at age 3 or 4, and all the kids will have learned them by then. I guess I really need to learn more about the ISEE and CATS, because I am sure these are the things they don't test for or care about.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:20 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,283,809 times
I think you are kidding yourself if you think that the other girls will catch your daughter because they are in a better preschool. If you spend one solid hour a night with your daughter reading to her, playing puzzles, etc, that is probably equal to the "teacher" time that she would get at the best preschool.

Every parent has different advice, but what worked for my family, was a little different than most. We talked to our kids like they were older than their age. While in the car, we constantly talked with them, asked them questions, etc. We certainly did not stick a DVD on the car TV and let their minds zone.

Moreover, we skipped the Wiggles, Barney, etc. If the TV was on, the kids were probably watching shows that "experts" would say were not age appropriate. For example, my kids watched Hannah Montana, Zach & Cody, (and soccer with dad) etc., at a very early age (while other kids were watching cartoons). Now some of the content is questionable, but my daughters had amazing vocab and articulation skills. I may be wrong, but I think that their minds had to work a little faster watching those shows compared to Barney, etc.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
I think you are kidding yourself if you think that the other girls will catch your daughter because they are in a better preschool. If you spend one solid hour a night with your daughter reading to her, playing puzzles, etc, that is probably equal to the "teacher" time that she would get at the best preschool.

Every parent has different advice, but what worked for my family, was a little different than most. We talked to our kids like they were older than their age. While in the car, we constantly talked with them, asked them questions, etc. We certainly did not stick a DVD on the car TV and let their minds zone.

Moreover, we skipped the Wiggles, Barney, etc. If the TV was on, the kids were probably watching shows that "experts" would say were not age appropriate. For example, my kids watched Hannah Montana, Zach & Cody, (and soccer with dad) etc., at a very early age (while other kids were watching cartoons). Now some of the content is questionable, but my daughters had amazing vocab and articulation skills. I may be wrong, but I think that their minds had to work a little faster watching those shows compared to Barney, etc.
Thank you for saying this. Only time will tell.

We have taken a similar approach with our daughter--I am glad to see that parenting style in action with good results. One of the things I love about da Vinci--they don't dumb things down for the kids just because they're young. Anyway, I really appreciate your posts.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:38 PM

260 posts, read 558,772 times
Sorry she didnt get in. There isnt a lot of academic learning going on in most programs for 2 year olds. It more about them getting used to a school environment, being around other kids, and following directions. It sounds like she's intelligent and ahead of the game. Just keep spending time with her doing what you already are and anyplace you feel comfortable with should be good for the next year.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:08 PM

19,494 posts, read 17,729,533 times
I'm sorry it didn't work out. As has been noted by Hockdad in the long run this next year at X or Y school would have made precious little difference academically.

Going forward I'd talk it through with every decision maker involved. The numbers say your should cast a much wider net next year and going forward until kiddo settles into a place that makes sense for the longer term. That means tipping toes into some of the religious based and Montessori schools. At Hockaday and Greenhill your kiddo will be competing with lots of kids for about 50 spots - maybe fewer. I know those numbers don't seem right but wealthy folks, legacies, the politically connected etc. will take many seats for certain. You daughter is competing for one of the seats in the balance. She may be the perfect kid for those schools and she may not be the perfect kid.

I understand if your family decides stand pat and not waiver. I'd surely think about it-.

Best of luck.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:45 PM

Thank you all, I really appreciate it. I certainly feel deflated, but I am walking away having learned a lot. At least all of this has happened at age 2 and not in an more crucial admissions year. I feel fortunate for the opportunity to "do it right" the next time around.

Though I'm not sure what exactly we will do until then...maybe more frequent trips to the museums and the aquarium/zoo, getting more social interaction with other kids. I see lots of applications being filled out in the near future...

Old 07-20-2012, 02:10 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,722,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoMama View Post
All of these things will be expected at age 3 or 4, and all the kids will have learned them by then.
You would be surprised that many kids do not have these skills by then, either, or how cursory and shallow the entrance process is for some schools. Or how far behind schools are vs your own child's level. Or, for some, how your kid will not catch up. You may get in, but it is not a fit at all.

And echoing the other comments on here, my 4 year old son gets more out of one hour one-on-one with me each night than he would at any school - not to mention the work he does during the day with my wife using a home school curriculum - he does 1 week every day at a 2nd grade level.

For example, he and I read a chapter book together - he takes one side and I take the other page. We read the whole book - about 70 pages, then discuss what occurred. The next night we swap pages. Then we move on to another book. He has progressed from level 2 readers to 4th grade material in less than a year. I know for a fact he is years ahead of his age peers at the privates. At this rate, he will be a minimum 6th grade equivalent across the board by the time he is 6 years old.

Given this, one has to ask what possible benefit is there to paying that $$ for a private? Why put a kid into a first grade class or even a Prek one or plan to - when he or she is far beyond it? How could I use those $$ to further educate them at the level they are at? Or can I save those $$ for college or a capital fund for their business?

As a parent, you have to clearly understand what you are trying to accomplish. If its education for your children, then you have to ask what is education and who is my kid? Am I meeting the goals or will the option accomplish them? Even the best school in the DFW area may not be a good fit. Its something to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas