Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2006, 09:11 PM

55 posts, read 323,804 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am wondering what all of you think about HOA's (Home Owners Associations)and the fees they collect. Is it money down the toilet? Are the rules in them restrictive/prohibitive? What is considered a reasonable HOA fee here in the metroplex? HOA's tend to raise their fees once the developer moves out, dont they?

I have heard horror stories about them but from other states and would like to find out more about them here in Dallas.

Thanks to everyone for sharing thier experiences

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2006, 09:10 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,125,237 times
I don't know about in Texas, but in South Carolina HOA's tended not to last long after the developer moves out. This is in part because in SC, if a neighbor has an issue with the HOA and it's rules, they can sue not only the HOA, but the individual board members. I'm not familiar with Texas law on subject.

(Also note there are other bodies in the state that limit homeowners in what they do on their property, such as the Board of Architectural Review in Charleston, which is a city run department overseeing some 4800 historical buildings.)

Old 09-25-2006, 09:44 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,671,273 times
Default HOA's

Most of the cities require that new developments have a mandatory HOA. I have lived in three and seen good and bad. Believe it or not it seems the higher end the neighborhood is the better the HOA. I don't get that at all but I guess they figure if you can pay that much for a house you will keep it up. The absolute worst one I lived in was a very middle class neighborhood but it got ugly. Then apathy developed and things went even more downhill. Of course the ones that were on the board that ruined it all moved out and left everyone else to clean up their mess but by then no one wanted anything to do w/ the board or HOA so whoever gets on the board is doing so w/o the support of the homeowners.

As for the dues being for something good or not. That depends. Do you want to live in a neighborhood w/ a community pool, clubhouse, parks & greenbelts? If you do not want any of those amenities and want very low annual dues then I would suggest finding one that only has to care for the property at their entrances and any other common areas and that is it. If you want the pool and all then you need to know all of the bad that comes w/ the good and it will cost a lot more. Most cities also require that the HOA maintain some kind of wall be it living or masonry around their property if it borders a retail development or major street. Then do you want an HOA that is very restrictive as in telling what kind of plants you are allowed, swingsets banned, basketball goals banned, etc? Those do exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas