Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 07:31 PM

270 posts, read 584,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by globe9 View Post
Moving to Dallas area in exactly one month from the New Orleans area. I am transferring for my job located across the street from Presbytyre Hospital near Walnut Hill. The GF is moving with me and will look for work once here. We will be living with her mother in South Garland near Duck Creek and Oates until we buy a house. We've done several scouting trips of the area checking out neighborhoods extensively and we keep coming back to Garland as where we'd like to buy. We love the older ranch homes, stately lawns and mature trees, as well as its proximity to downtown. I almost never see Garland mentioned however when posters are suggesting towns or areas to live. Why is this? I get that Garland is older and has some not so great areas, but I've never felt unsafe in those areas, as opposed to what a bad neighborhood in nola can be. I like the fact that its not cookie cutterish, has trees, diversity etc. We are mainly considering Eastern Hills area, neighborhood off of La Prada and Obanion between greenbelt or this little tucked away community behind the Surf and Swim on Oates. I'm wondering if there are other reasons that Garland never gets mentioned that I'm not aware of? Are there other areas that would offer what we're looking for in our budget(the main thing love white rock lake area but out of our range).
Hi, I feel bad you have to move here from New Orleans. I moved here from Baton Rouge and I so ready to go back. I'll take of you though. What's your budget? Garland is pretty dumpy unless you find one of the newer places to live.

I'll tell you this.. don't even think about buying anywhere until you are accustomed to the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 07:54 PM

477 posts, read 1,045,023 times
Don't feel bad. I love New Orleans but I gotta say I'm done with it. The crime, corruption, its dirty, cost of living is insane, the crime, the widespread ignorance, the crime....its a great place to visit, especially around Mardi Gas and I will, but I've been around Dallas area quite a bit as I have family here and I don't think Garland is any "dumpier" than many areas of Metairie, Kenner, Nola, West Bank, etc. I happen to like Garland area. I'm not a fan of "new" just b/c its new. I actually prefer a home built in the 60's as well. Things were built better back then imo. More pride in workmanship etc. Not always the case, but in my experience at least 80% true. Sorry you prefer Baton Rouge to Dallas. Can't say I understand that, but hey, different strokes.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:16 PM

1,779 posts, read 4,002,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Maybe he means in the eyes of northern suburbanites...
Err... Northern suburbs like Plano are also pretty diverse.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:28 PM

270 posts, read 584,285 times
Quote:
Don't feel bad. I love New Orleans but I gotta say I'm done with it. The crime, corruption, its dirty, cost of living is insane, the crime, the widespread ignorance, the crime....its a great place to visit, especially around Mardi Gas and I will, but I've been around Dallas area quite a bit as I have family here and I don't think Garland is any "dumpier" than many areas of Metairie, Kenner, Nola, West Bank, etc. I happen to like Garland area. I'm not a fan of "new" just b/c its new. I actually prefer a home built in the 60's as well. Things were built better back then imo. More pride in workmanship etc. Not always the case, but in my experience at least 80% true. Sorry you prefer Baton Rouge to Dallas. Can't say I understand that, but hey, different strokes.
Well I don't like New Orleans proper because it is dumpy. I love the North Shore and ideally I would like to be back there one day, with BR and Lafayette included. Anyways, check the zipcodes of Garland and run them through a number of different demographic websites to see what you are getting into. Moderator cut: competitor site not permitted - use stats from city-data.com

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-20-2012 at 02:17 AM..

Old 07-19-2012, 11:36 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,339,668 times

When my parents moved to Garland the population was about 20,000 and 95% White and there was farmland between Garland and Dallas.

The times they are achangin'

Old 07-20-2012, 09:06 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,602,257 times
Quote:
Well I don't mind ethnic diversity, I actually welcome it. I am Caucasian, but I don't want to be surrounded by those just like me. What is the fun in that? I only hope that one day people wake up and appreciate older burbs like Garland for its proximity to downtown, its diversity, etc and then the awesome home I'm sure to find for a steal will be worth much more when Garland becomes cool
Love your attitude

Old 07-20-2012, 02:37 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,987,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat2011 View Post
Hi, I feel bad you have to move here from New Orleans. I moved here from Baton Rouge and I so ready to go back. I'll take of you though. What's your budget? Garland is pretty dumpy unless you find one of the newer places to live.

I'll tell you this.. don't even think about buying anywhere until you are accustomed to the area.
I don't agree that Garland is dumpy but I do agree that you might wait before buying, just so you're sure that's where you want to be.

My inlaws have lived at O'Banion and LaPrada for over 30 years. It's a quiet, tree filled area that is really quite nice. I don't think it will take that long to commute to Presby even using the back roads (which is probably way better anyway!!). There are plenty of parks and you're relatively close to everything...even Lake Ray Hubbard is about 10 minutes away (closest lake). Well, White Rock Lake is pretty dang close as well.

I lived in and around this area for some time and am quite familiar with the area - I like it. It feels like home. I'm comfortable there. I agree with the others who say the negative comments may be from not being familiar with it and hearing other's negative comments. Of course there's going to be some parts that are a little depressed and some parts are more industrial, but where you're talking about, it's perfectly nice.

Personally, your attitude sounds great and I think you'll enjoy the area...having an open mind sure helps but it won't be a big stretch to enjoy it!! Welcome to Texas. May our August be welcoming - please don't hate on the weather...October is just around the corner!!

Old 07-20-2012, 02:38 PM

new W
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat2011 View Post
Well I don't like New Orleans proper because it is dumpy. I love the North Shore and ideally I would like to be back there one day, with BR and Lafayette included. Anyways, check the zipcodes of Garland and run them through a number of different demographic websites to see what you are getting into. Moderator cut: competitor site not permitted - use stats from city-data.com
I'm gathering that anything old to you is dumpy. Have you been to the Northshore lately? Slidell is as dumpy as it gets. The sprawl, traffic, and lack of infrastructure in Mandeville and Covington is horrendous. No thanks. The homes are shiny and new, but new does not equal better to me. I have a lot of friends across the lake in new homes that look nice from the street but are slowly falling apart due to shoddy construction. Oh and the Northshore apparently has just as much corruption as New Orleans re: the arrest of Mandeville's mayor, etc. At least New orleans has culture too.
I like Garland. Some areas are less than desireable, but its a big place. The area I'm looking in is Eastern Hills. Very similar to Old Metairie's look only better b/c it has hills, a feature that as a New Orleanian, I'm unfamiliar with lol. I think you'd be hardpressed to call it dumpy.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:43 PM

Ol
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
I don't agree that Garland is dumpy but I do agree that you might wait before buying, just so you're sure that's where you want to be.

My inlaws have lived at O'Banion and LaPrada for over 30 years. It's a quiet, tree filled area that is really quite nice. I don't think it will take that long to commute to Presby even using the back roads (which is probably way better anyway!!). There are plenty of parks and you're relatively close to everything...even Lake Ray Hubbard is about 10 minutes away (closest lake). Well, White Rock Lake is pretty dang close as well.

I lived in and around this area for some time and am quite familiar with the area - I like it. It feels like home. I'm comfortable there. I agree with the others who say the negative comments may be from not being familiar with it and hearing other's negative comments. Of course there's going to be some parts that are a little depressed and some parts are more industrial, but where you're talking about, it's perfectly nice.

Personally, your attitude sounds great and I think you'll enjoy the area...having an open mind sure helps but it won't be a big stretch to enjoy it!! Welcome to Texas. May our August be welcoming - please don't hate on the weather...October is just around the corner!!
Thanks for the encouragement. I actually don't mind the heat in Dallas since there is much less humidity than in New Orleans. I was in Garland last week and actually enjoyed the weather compared to Nola. I find the old adage that its cooler in the shade is actually true here lol. In nola its just as hot in the shade. I actually went to the drive in in Ennis last Wed night and with the breeze blowing it was actually cool at 9pm. It was very pleasant. In nola its 90 degrees with 90% humidity at 2am, so I prefer Dallas heat to Nola heat

Old 07-20-2012, 02:57 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,006,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
Err... Northern suburbs like Plano are also pretty diverse.
Let's face it, when many people on this board are talking about Plano, it's West Plano - see:

Plano West Senior High School, Plano TX School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com

Over 60% anglo and way under the state average for hispanic and economically disadvantaged students (less than 10%). It does have a much larger number of asians than the state average.

So yes, it's somewhat diverse, especially compared to places like Southlake and Park Cities.

Central and East Plano are more diverse.

The thing I like about Garland is that it was its own city (and fairly good-sized) for many years before becoming a suburb. Frisco, Plano and Allen were more like farming communities which turned into subdivisions seemingly overnight. McKinney was also a good-sized town for 100 years or more before becoming a suburb.

It has a lot of history, especially with Garland High, which is known for its athletics and International Baccalaureate. It has the Garland Summer Musicals and many other features which grew out of being a small city. I know a couple of families who have had multiple members on the school board and city council over generations. Also Garland is on DART rail - something Frisco, Allen and McKinney does not have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas