Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 11:52 AM

986 posts, read 1,272,628 times

Advertisements

Yep, depending on your station in life, Texas can work out really well for you. I'm assuming you aren't one of the 1.2 million children without health insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 05:50 PM

681 posts, read 1,672,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistileropete View Post
Sorry it took so long to respond. The move went fine (we had movers). The kids adjusted well (there where allot of new kids). Texas is the opposite of California in almost everyway, Texas lets it's citizens run their lives where California wants to run it for you. (In a nut shell). Also another way to put it is you will be moving from Rocklin to Rocklin if that makes sense. You will find the areas you are looking to be similar to Rocklin (nice suburban areas to raise a family), except no state taxes, better schools etc. etc.
100% agree with this. I would say the same for NY

Old 08-08-2012, 06:37 AM

127 posts, read 259,246 times
Awesome to see so many Californians. I grew up near Sacramento, up in the foothills (Placerville). Then Lived in Los Angeles.

When I moved to Texas I never looked back (except for some longing for cool summer nights). I've found the people here in Texas friendly, not sure who others have been around but I can't say I've come across too many rude people. I think if you can get past the weather (and bugs if you are near any kind of body of water) most Californians will find Texas to be quite nice.
Electric bills are indeed quite scary depending on what direction your house faces, insulation, AC efficiency, windows, trees, and how cool you like it. My house was built in 86 (1450sqft) and when we moved in I had insulation blown in. So far the highest bill was $156 (we keep it 78 day and 75 nights), this next month I am expecting to be between $150-200 Due to the heat. If you buy a house you will need to keep an eye on the water bill too, that can catch you off guard.
Otherwise have fun in Texas, don't forget to do everything you couldn't in California like buy a gun on your way in (no waiting period!), and get your concealed handgun permit as well (assuming you have no felonies or mental issues).

Old 08-08-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotquiteawake View Post
Awesome to see so many Californians. I grew up near Sacramento, up in the foothills (Placerville). Then Lived in Los Angeles.

When I moved to Texas I never looked back (except for some longing for cool summer nights). I've found the people here in Texas friendly, not sure who others have been around but I can't say I've come across too many rude people. I think if you can get past the weather (and bugs if you are near any kind of body of water) most Californians will find Texas to be quite nice.
Electric bills are indeed quite scary depending on what direction your house faces, insulation, AC efficiency, windows, trees, and how cool you like it. My house was built in 86 (1450sqft) and when we moved in I had insulation blown in. So far the highest bill was $156 (we keep it 78 day and 75 nights), this next month I am expecting to be between $150-200 Due to the heat. If you buy a house you will need to keep an eye on the water bill too, that can catch you off guard.
Otherwise have fun in Texas, don't forget to do everything you couldn't in California like buy a gun on your way in (no waiting period!), and get your concealed handgun permit as well (assuming you have no felonies or mental issues).
The gun thing is also one of the reasons I love Texas and want to move there. My only fear is that with all the people from states with strict gun laws, ny, nj, ma, ca, il etc. moving in may eventually change the pro gun mindset in the long run, but it all depends on how they vote I guess.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:16 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
The gun thing is also one of the reasons I love Texas and want to move there. My only fear is that with all the people from states with strict gun laws, ny, nj, ma, ca, il etc. moving in may eventually change the pro gun mindset in the long run, but it all depends on how they vote I guess.
Californians already ruined smoking, let's hope they leave guns alone.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:48 PM

127 posts, read 259,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
Awesome. This was also one of the reasons I moved out here too. Just last weekend I walked into a pawn shop, and walked out with a shotgun. No waiting period, just a quick check with the FBI via a phone call, a page and a 1/2 of paperwork and you're done! I doubt Texas will change anytime soon. The only way our firearms rights are going to be infringed upon is going to be from the feds. Otherwise most of the Texas population and legislators will mostly stay in favor of gun rights.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotquiteawake View Post
Awesome. This was also one of the reasons I moved out here too. Just last weekend I walked into a pawn shop, and walked out with a shotgun. No waiting period, just a quick check with the FBI via a phone call, a page and a 1/2 of paperwork and you're done! I doubt Texas will change anytime soon. The only way our firearms rights are going to be infringed upon is going to be from the feds. Otherwise most of the Texas population and legislators will mostly stay in favor of gun rights.
Lets hope so. I love to pro-gun culture in Texas, and feel that I can just go to a range whenever I feel like just for relaxation and target practice the same way some people go to the spa for a massage. Every time I go there I feel a great sense of freedom from oppression, as I have experienced all my life here in NYC where we have lawmakers that want to dictate every aspect of your life.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,572 times
Default information on moving to Texas

We are thinking of moving to Flower Mound Tx and I would like of information on taxes and how much the electric bills run a month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post
Summers in Dallas can be either hot and humid like Atlanta or just a dry heat.

Today, it is over 100 degrees.

The newer/nicer areas are mainly north of Dallas/Ft Worth.

For new homes your biggest selection will be north to Collin or Denton Counties or east to Rockwall County
How far out from Dallas/Ft Worth you live might depend upon your commute to work. You will need a car
to get around because the DFW area is huge and public transit is not.

Texas has high property taxes [city, county, school] but property valuation here is very reasonable compared
to California [which is why Texas is getting so many newcomers from Cali ]

Texas has no income tax and is very business-friendly.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:05 AM

66 posts, read 119,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Lost View Post
I was temporarily transferred from California, but not Sacramento (Socal beach community) to Texas.
Have lived in Texas now for about 4 years.

If you have any specific questions.... ask away, I'll give honest answers. (That probably some will not like)
I'm always interested in hearing unsolicited feedback - I think it helps balance things out. For me personally, I can't think of many nice things about SoCal with the exception of the beaches and weather (however, I prefer the change in seasons). How has the experience been for you?

I've heard that Dallas is very much like SoCal with the exception of all the "good things". Thoughts?

Old 10-07-2012, 01:08 AM

66 posts, read 119,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfmike View Post
I just moved from Sacramento (Citrus Heights) this area is way better than anything in CA. The people here are nice, there is more to do. No state income tax. The weather is hotter than Sacramento but the winters will be fun. I 1st came here 20 years ago to play football at TCU and did not appreciate what I love now. I am in Mckinney just north of Dallas.
Can you help me understand what you mean by "hotter"? I understand it to be a bit more humid and, whereas in California, the nights cool down, TX is more similar to AZ which stays hot through the evening. Are there summertime breezes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas