Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 06:52 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,227,547 times

Advertisements

It has been almost 3 years since my wife and I drove from So Cal after living our whole lives there to TX with our 2 cats. We used ABF U-Pack where they drop a tractor trailer off for 3 days, you load it and the pick it up and deliver it where you unload it. It worked well for us and we really only had a couple of suitcases and the cat carriers to take into hotels on the drive. We stopped in Tucson and Abilene before arriving. We could have probably gone farther than Tucson, but the cats were antsy. We also shipped our 2nd car using DAS Auto shippers.

PODS are great and give you a lot of time, but they're so expensive.

As far as neighborhoods - looking back now we would have done it differently. We rented an apartment around the corner from work for a year and we saved a lot of money by not paying tolls and saving on gas. It was way worse than we thought. We visited Dallas for 3 days prior to moving and only had that time to find a place to live. We knew no one and had never been here before, except my wife for work. We also bought a house after that year in the apartment. It's a nice place, great starter home and new construction but seeing as we don't have kids, we feel like we should have bought in a more unique neighborhood in Dallas proper. We've been just going for drives though different neighborhoods on the weekends and visiting different restaurants lately and really wish we could have a little cottage type place in a neat neighborhood rather than this psuedo mcmansion, but it's home.

I hope you guys end up liking it here. My opinion of this place fluctuates. When I go back home for a few days in Sept. I'm going to probably not want to come back to Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 07:20 AM

127 posts, read 259,402 times
well, crime for one thing is partly a product of population density. The closer to downtown you are the higher the population density is. There is more crime the closer to the middle of Dallas you get Dallas, TX Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Dallas - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here
Mostly when I said "nicer" i meant less dense. The closer to the middle of Dallas you get the worse the parking seemed to get, the more crowded it got, the more traffic you had to deal with. I've lived in Euless, North Dallas, Far North Dallas, and now live in Rowlett. I have friends scattered across the metroplex. So my impressions are based on what I've driven through. Your experience may differ. Thats fine. Its just opinions. Nobody is giving absolute facts here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: