Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 01:07 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
I do most of our shopping at Super Target and I'm somewhat of a foodie.
Great selection of bronze cut pastas (their house brand). Lately they've had great marinara with imported Italian tomatoes...Gia Russa.
Awesome shelf stable grains in pouches - black beluga lentils, etc.
Good organic selections - frozen, meats, dairy, produce.
Artisan La Brea breads.
And then I can get normal groceries, pet food, bathroom/pharmacy, beverages, and a pair of shoes for my kid who needs a new pair every month!....all under one roof.
Plus, Super T has excellent low pricing on just about everything I get.
Super Target isn't very competitive on things like cheese, meat, or fresh produce. Sprouts is usually better for all three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 04:05 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,479,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Super Target isn't very competitive on things like cheese, meat, or fresh produce. Sprouts is usually better for all three.
Might be. Never been to a Sprouts - they are out in the burbs...although one just took over Newflower/Sunflower on Henderson...which always has B quality produce.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:17 AM

2,216 posts, read 4,539,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
This thread reminded me to send my weekly pester e-mail to H.E.B asking them to open a location in Richardson.
Careful what you wish for. I'm in Central Texas and HEB pretty much owns the market. These days they only carry their brand. Other products are limited. I miss having choices.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:44 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Quote:
Might be. Never been to a Sprouts - they are out in the burbs...although one just took over Newflower/Sunflower on Henderson...which always has B quality produce.
There's a Sprouts in Dallas at Marsh and Forest, but that's pretty far from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
Careful what you wish for. I'm in Central Texas and HEB pretty much owns the market. These days they only carry their brand. Other products are limited. I miss having choices.
I used to live in Austin (many moons ago), so I'm used to HEB domination. But yeah, they pretty much own San Antonio at this point.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:05 PM

718 posts, read 1,389,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
Which supermarkets carry the best quality meat for the price? Are they better than some of the neighborhood butcher shops?
Costco is one of the best and one of the cheapest around when it comes to meat.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:38 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,854,475 times
I like Kroger store brands for most things but I find a big difference in the two nearest to me in McKinney. The 380 location is not near as nice as the one at Eldorado and Lake Forest... but that kind of goes with the demographic.

My closest store is Brookshire's, will go there for milk or bread but they are so much more expensive.

I find Target to be extremely expensive for what it is... a mega big box store. I have two very new, very clean Walmarts near me and find them just as easy to get in and out of as a Target and much better prices.

The Market Street in McKinney is one of the nicest stores I have ever been in, but I find they are pricey and their store brand is the same Hytop cheap stuff that Brookshires has. But I love their deli and food counter and pre-cooked entrees and side dishes. Wonderful stuff.

Haven't discovered the joy of the Whole Food/Central Market/ Sprout type of buying experience. As a divorced male with a 20 something under my roof, gourmet cooking is not a high priority. Fresh produce more often than not spoils before it gets prepared. The bag of onions, celery and head of lettuce are about all I get from the produce section, sad to say.

What I really want is to know where the local roadside vegetable guy is around McKinney. I want some real local grown tomatoes, none of this bland hothouse stuff you find in the stores.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:13 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,479,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
What I really want is to know where the local roadside vegetable guy is around McKinney. I want some real local grown tomatoes, none of this bland hothouse stuff you find in the stores.
Have you gone to the Farmer's market at Chestnut Square? I don't think it's every Saturday morning, though. You might also try Patina Green.

Tomatoes are tricky - I usually buy the small Campari tomatoes from Costco. You can usually find them in nicer grocery stores too. I think they are grown in Marfa. Never buy the larger, normal sized tomatoes...you have to go small to get flavor.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:46 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,854,475 times
Quote:
Have you gone to the Farmer's market at Chestnut Square? I don't think it's every Saturday morning, though. You might also try Patina Green.

Tomatoes are tricky - I usually buy the small Campari tomatoes from Costco. You can usually find them in nicer grocery stores too. I think they are grown in Marfa. Never buy the larger, normal sized tomatoes...you have to go small to get flavor.
I have heard about Chestnut Square's Farmer's Market, but I work Saturdays. Looking for a basic roadside stand like you see in more rural areas. Gotta be something like that in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas