Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 11:06 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
That's not correct. He'll pay at least $90 in sales taxes.
Show me where I can find that info because that is not at all what the TXDMV website says for new Texas residents.

Why would someone pay $90 in Texas sales tax on an out-of-state vehicle that was purchased more than 30 days ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 11:10 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Show me where I can find that info because that is not at all what the TXDMV website says for new Texas residents.

Why would someone pay $90 in Texas sales tax on an out-of-state vehicle that was purchased more than 30 days ago?
Well, from the link I posted and then you posted but apparently didn't read...

Quote:
As a new resident, you also will pay sales tax-related fees required by the state's Comptroller of Public Accounts. Sales tax fees on a vehicle can be $90 or the difference between your previous state's sales tax and the Texas sales tax.
It was an extra $90 when I brought my car from FL.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:17 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Well, from the link I posted and then you posted but apparently didn't read...

It was an extra $90 when I brought my car from FL.
But this isn't the 6.25% sales tax that you would pay on the sales price of the car if you were buying a new one in TX. It says the word "fees" not the actual tax itself.

By the way, if you do buy a new car in Texas, you are allowed to save on the sales tax if you are trading a vehicle. The trade value of the car is subtracted from the sales price of the new one before your 6.25% is calculated. Also note that the 6.25% sales tax is less than the 8.25% you would pay at the mall.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:26 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
But this isn't the 6.25% sales tax that you would pay on the sales price of the car if you were buying a new one in TX. It says the word "fees" not the actual tax itself.
I didn't say it was. They consider it a sales tax however. I just purchased a car a few months ago in Minnesota, I had to pay tax on the value of the car at 6.25%. The car in FL I mentioned, I've owned for 12 years. When registering, they tack on that $90 sales tax, even though I obviously didn't just buy it.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:50 AM

51 posts, read 77,164 times
The $90 thing is confusing to me too...I just hope that that is all I have to pay and not have to pay taxes on the appraised value on two vehicles that I bought in 2005.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:56 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt79 View Post
The $90 thing is confusing to me too...I just hope that that is all I have to pay and not have to pay taxes on the appraised value on two vehicles that I bought in 2005.
If those cars were registered in other states $90 per vehicle is what you will pay to move to register them in Tx. If one lives in Tx and buys a car out of state, the other rules about paying sales tax to Tx apply. Tx wants you to move here ... so the burden is light

Old 07-31-2012, 11:06 AM

51 posts, read 77,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
If those cars were registered in other states $90 per vehicle is what you will pay to move to register them in Tx. If one lives in Tx and buys a car out of state, the other rules about paying sales tax to Tx apply. Tx wants you to move here ... so the burden is light
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: