Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 06:37 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
How do you prevent someone from putting up a carport if you have no HOA? I do a lot of prospecting for properties and I have seen carports in expensive neighborhoods.......but actually, I have no objection at all to carports, just sayin' that without HOA's you certainly can find carports in nice neighborhoods!
The Park Cities, Preston Hollow, Greenway Parks, Devonshire, Lakewood proper, etc all manage to look manicured and "classy" without HOA Nazis strolling the streets. How come these neighborhoods can manage just fine when most of the neighborhoods built in the last 30 years can't or fear they can't?

I'm always astonished by the HOA/ non-HOA debate when talking about $500k+ suburbs. I don't think someone is going to put a rusted car up on cinderblocks in the front yard or say "screw weeding, bring it on!" if the Willow Bend (or insert $$$ HOA here) HOA went away tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 06:54 AM

764 posts, read 1,657,121 times
It's a bit further, but Flower Mound has some nicer (I mean larger) sized lots as well and doesn't have the "price tag" associated with Southlake (i.e., I believe you get more for your money). It wouldn't be a bad commute either.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:17 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post

Anyhow, you will sure get way more land and house for the money.
Apparently you need to visit and take a hard look..You don't get ANY land in any of the suburbs that actually matter in DFW. And for alot of reasons thats a good thing. You need to brush up on your research.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
The Park Cities, Preston Hollow, Greenway Parks, Devonshire, Lakewood proper, etc all manage to look manicured and "classy" without HOA Nazis strolling the streets. How come these neighborhoods can manage just fine when most of the neighborhoods built in the last 30 years can't or fear they can't?

I'm always astonished by the HOA/ non-HOA debate when talking about $500k+ suburbs. I don't think someone is going to put a rusted car up on cinderblocks in the front yard or say "screw weeding, bring it on!" if the Willow Bend (or insert $$$ HOA here) HOA went away tomorrow.

Don't all the areas you mentioned have active code enforcement? Whether it's public or private enforcement whats the diff? Bottom line is people with $$ wouldn't tolerate a disorderly habitat-that we know. I think it's just a trend for newer developments that comes with the territory..Kind of like Turrets.

Some $30k millionaire who doesn't actually belong in the neighborhood he/she was able to secure financing in, now they need rules. I stand by that wholeheartedly. Take the Chinese fella who lives behind me and has managed to Napalm every tree in his yard in two months and leaves an unregistered pop-up camper outside his front yard-infuriating the neighbors. Allows trash to blow all over the neighborhood because they never bring their cans in and they're overloaded and now I have a Wal-Mart plastic bag stuck flapping in the wind in a beautiful Oak tree in my yard for the past two years..This is a neighborhood of $400-$500k homes, which sadly could use an HOA, and less idiots like this guy.

I live in the Northeast, so does the OP. Which means HOAs will be new to them in Dallas and probably something they longed for as well. But thats just my opinion, I have little faith people are going to do the right thing when it comes to property.

Last edited by skids929; 07-31-2012 at 07:46 AM..

Old 07-31-2012, 07:37 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Don't all the areas you mentioned have active code enforcement? Whether it's public or private enforcement whats the diff? Bottom line is people with $$ wouldn't tolerate a disorderly habitat-that we know. I think it's just a trend for newer developments that comes with the territory..Kind of like Turrets.

Some $30k millionaire who doesn't actually belong in the neighborhood he/she was able to secure financing in, now they need rules. I stand by that wholeheartedly.
I have owned properties in HOA's and others that were not in HOA's. In communities that have shared resources, like common green areas or front entrances that need tending, the HOA is vital to maintaining property that the local city is not responsible for. I have received notices from the HOA about violations -- a car parked on the street in a community that has specific visitor parking and forbids street parking, trash put out before the city code of no more than 12 hours before scheduled pickup -- and I have not felt anger or that "Nazi's" were out to harm my world in any way. I bought in those communities because I liked them. I agreed to and knew the community guidelines. Since I don't live in them, as a landlord I really like HOA communities. They are not for everyone but they are a benefit for many. I believe the "Nazi" stories are the exception, not the usual. But anyway, that's not was this thread is about...... sorry for hijacking it.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:16 AM

11 posts, read 20,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carroll4628 View Post
It's a bit further, but Flower Mound has some nicer (I mean larger) sized lots as well and doesn't have the "price tag" associated with Southlake (i.e., I believe you get more for your money). It wouldn't be a bad commute either.
Carroll -thanks for your response. I am going to look at Flower Mound because a couple of my husband's coworkers live there. Others in Grapevine and McKinney. My hubby is not so worried about commute time because he does about a 45 mins now and he will only be in their Las Colinas office twice a week and working from home the rest. We live in a 3 bedroom house now and I can't even sneeze without my neighbor hearing me...lol. The houses are just so close together.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:19 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
West Plano is a good location to live in as well. Great schools and a lot of shopping etc near by. Not a bad commute to Irving especially when you do it a couple of days a week. I make the drive 3 days a week now and its not bad but then I dont mind toll road charges when it shortens the commute time and is a good direct route.

You will find many choices in DFW that will be nice to live in although much different from the NE. I moved to Tx from NJ and never looked back...we strongly prefer Tx to the NE for our lifestyle.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:12 AM

681 posts, read 1,672,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Apparently you need to visit and take a hard look..You don't get ANY land in any of the suburbs that actually matter in DFW. And for alot of reasons thats a good thing. You need to brush up on your research.
I think I've looked around enough to know what i want out of a house in the area. What may be a big house to me might not be the same for you. By what standard are you going by? Keep in mind I'm coming from NYC so everything down there is much "bigger"

Old 07-31-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
I think I've looked around enough to know what i want out of a house in the area. What may be a big house to me might not be the same for you. By what standard are you going by? Keep in mind I'm coming from NYC so everything down there is much "bigger"

I wasn't referring to the home statement you made, and la-tee-da that you know what you want. To answer your question though, the standard I go by is the standard of making accurate comparisons..But what I was referring to was the notion of 'way more land' when considering suburban life in DFW. Getting way more land in a suburb in comparison to just about any City (especially NYC or Boston) dwelling is like stating the sky is blue.

But to set an expectation you get way more land in DFW suburbs as compared to suburbs in general is incorrect. DFW lots are generally VERY small, some towns have a little more breathing room than others, but as a general rule it's tract development at it's finest.

Your right about the homes, they're bigger, and they take up all the land on the lot!

Old 07-31-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicadee96 View Post
Carroll -thanks for your response. I am going to look at Flower Mound because a couple of my husband's coworkers live there. Others in Grapevine and McKinney. My hubby is not so worried about commute time because he does about a 45 mins now and he will only be in their Las Colinas office twice a week and working from home the rest. We live in a 3 bedroom house now and I can't even sneeze without my neighbor hearing me...lol. The houses are just so close together.
Flower Mound is an excellent choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas