Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 04:43 AM

18 posts, read 22,386 times

Advertisements

Hello Friends,

My family would be probably moving to Irving soon from India. Most of my questions have been somewhat answered via various post on forum but I still have few doubts in mind. Would be great if you could clear them

- Would $90000 annually be enough for a family of 3? How much would be approximiate take home pay monthly in this case?
- Would there be dent in take home pay after new tax rates proposed?
- Are there any tax rebates that you can claim in US? e.g. Dependent Child, Retirement Savings, Home Loan etc.?
- How easy or difficult is it for people coming from India to get a car loan or credit card immediately after they land in US?
- What would be the approximiate monthly expenses for child education in Grade 1?
- Are there any lock-in periods if you take a house on rent? Means, can you take a house and move out of it after a short period of time e.g. 2-3 months?
- I have got different estimates around monthly expenses for Utilities (Water, Electricity, Gas and Internet), Car Insurance, Life Insurance, Groceries, Entertainment and Initial set-up (Furniture, Kitchen, Electronics)... If someone could give current estimates that would be great.
- Any other relevant information that you would like to share.

Thanks in advance for all help.

Regards...

Last edited by abhiriti; 08-01-2012 at 04:47 AM.. Reason: Added details around one question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 06:22 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,635,721 times
Quote:
Would $90000 annually be enough for a family of 3? How much would be approximiate take home pay monthly in this case?
- Would there be dent in take home pay after new tax rates proposed?
- Are there any tax rebates that you can claim in US? e.g. Dependent Child, Retirement Savings, Home Loan etc.?
- How easy or difficult is it for people coming from India to get a car loan or credit card immediately after they land in US?
- What would be the approximiate monthly expenses for child education in Grade 1?
- Are there any lock-in periods if you take a house on rent? Means, can you take a house and move out of it after a short period of time e.g. 2-3 months?
- I have got different estimates around monthly expenses for Utilities (Water, Electricity, Gas and Internet), Car Insurance, Life Insurance, Groceries, Entertainment and Initial set-up (Furniture, Kitchen, Electronics)... If someone could give current estimates that would be great.
I can't answer all, but some.

Regarding renting a house, you will be required to sign a lease. Most leases will be a year, maybe six months. Finding short-term rentals is harder and they are usually more expensive. You can break your lease, but there are penalties associated with doing that.

For education, if your child goes to a public school, there are no additional expenses beyond clothing, some school supplies, etc. If you choose private school, the fees vary. (and it may be too late for the 2012-2013 school year that starts in a few weeks)

I am not sure about a credit card or car loan, but a friend from Mexico had to wait several years before getting a mortgage. They had no credit history in the US.

There are some tax credits for owning a home, etc however, I am not sure how they apply to non-citizens.

Best of luck with your move.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:52 AM

Thanks Jennifw

Any clue abt the earnings of $90000 being enough and estimated take home pay?

Old 08-01-2012, 09:25 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhiriti View Post
Thanks Jennifw

This is a generalization but you should take home about $2400 or more per paycheck (most companies pay twice a month). You may take home a bit more if you claim more dependents on your tax form submission but you also need to deduct the costs of your contributions for health insurance from this amount.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:12 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Thanks Jennifw

Enough for what?

For a family of 3 to live comfortably in an apartment and send a child to public school? Definitely.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:10 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
For a family of 3 to live comfortably in an apartment and send a child to public school? Definitely.
Absolutely!

Utilities and grocery costs are difficult to estimate just because they vary greatly based on size/type of home, and personal tastes.

We always advise renting for a year to get a feel for the area before making a big commitment to buying a home.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:26 PM

764 posts, read 1,656,968 times
Quote:
Thanks Jennifw

Absolutely! There are families of 5 making half that and living comfortably. You can buy homes (3bdrm/2bath) in Dallas for around $100k in good school districts (not ultra superior which is mostly discussed on city-data). That salary is definately middle-class america. If you were heading to (anywhere) California/West Coast or the Northeast (NY, Boston) I'd say it might get a little tough. But anywhere in Texas that will get you plenty, unless you have an lavish lifestyle. You don't need to spend a lot to have a good quality life in Texas.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:01 PM

Thanks everyone for valuable inputs

Carroll - What all you refer to when talking abt goid school districts?

Squirl - You mean $90000 per annum would translate in to nearly $5000 only per month?

Old 08-01-2012, 09:05 PM

How much does health insurance cost come out per month?

Any Indians in here who can throw more light on expenses as that wud b probably close to my realty

Old 08-01-2012, 09:14 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
Quote:
How much does health insurance cost come out per month?

Any Indians in here who can throw more light on expenses as that wud b probably close to my realty
tax rate should be about 25%, you will not likely have deductions, but I did not take into account any exemptions. But I actually calculated my low net estimated take home paycheck after (not before as stated) paying for health insirance. This is a worst case scenario and you likely will have a better paycheck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas