Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 12:10 PM

743 posts, read 1,320,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzuspetalsTX View Post
Ramona: can you elaborate on why Woodrow would be overwhelming and rough and tumble for a kid with ADD? (this kid actually prefers to *not* be in a school where all are the same, actually -- there is a little bit of egalitarianism in them). When we considered a private school for this child due to smaller class size, they bristled at the idea of being in a school with a bunch of "rich white kids." Had to laugh at that one considering the school they go to. I think it is just the idea of being in a private (read: exclusive) school that doesn't jive with them. And I totally admire them for it. I wouldn't shy away from Long and Woodrow due to socio-economic diversity. I actually like the idea of my kids going to a school with people from all walks of life. I want them to be able to get along and love and respect all people. But, I do want them to get a good education -- doesn't have to be on par with top private schools, but it needs to give them a good foundation for a lifetime of learning. So with that in mind, do you still think Woodrow would be too much for them?

And JenG, I do like Stonewall and we have considered the M streets, but I think it may be too young urban professional for us. I might be wrong though. I love the houses there. Reminds me a lot of some the Seattle Tudors. I really want a neighborhood where I feel safe enough to let the kids ride their bikes around and walk to friends' houses, etc... I'm not saying the M Streets isn't safe. I just wonder if a lot of that happens due to the demographics there. Seems like there aren't many families with older kids? Please correct me if I am wrong, though.
Would the child with ADD be top 20% at HP? Then they'll be fins at Woodrow. 20-50%? Probably fine. Bottom 50% I'd worry.

This is where you have to be brutally honest with yourself. Woodrow does a fantastic job with the top kids (read kids from financially comfortable families, mostly white, but not nearly as white as HP). And Woodrow does a so-so job with the ESL kids of immigrants. But it does not do a good job with kids who "fail to live up to expectations". But really, what school does a good job with those kids? They need a lot of individual attention and discipline. You won't find that at a public school. Not in Texas.

I would say the best environment for those kids would be a <1800 school (3As or 4As) of mostly well-to-do kids. Think JJ Pearce, or the Frisco schools (Paschal maybe?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 12:22 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,557,784 times
Love this poem...my all time favorite. And yes, I totally see where the OP is coming from

Old 08-09-2012, 12:23 PM

256 posts, read 448,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzuspetalsTX View Post
Ramona: can you elaborate on why Woodrow would be overwhelming and rough and tumble for a kid with ADD? (this kid actually prefers to *not* be in a school where all are the same, actually -- there is a little bit of egalitarianism in them). When we considered a private school for this child due to smaller class size, they bristled at the idea of being in a school with a bunch of "rich white kids." Had to laugh at that one considering the school they go to. I think it is just the idea of being in a private (read: exclusive) school that doesn't jive with them. And I totally admire them for it. I wouldn't shy away from Long and Woodrow due to socio-economic diversity. I actually like the idea of my kids going to a school with people from all walks of life. I want them to be able to get along and love and respect all people--including rich, white kids . But, I do want them to get a good education -- doesn't have to be on par with top private schools, but it needs to give them a good foundation for a lifetime of learning. So with that in mind, do you still think Woodrow would be too much for them?
It's a big, comprehensive, urban high school with college-bound kids roaming the halls with some rough types. (Note: my kids don't go there yet so I'm just going off what I've heard, and I'm sure Lakewooder will jump in to defend it to the death.)

It's been reorganized into several different academies, but other than the IB program I'm frankly not sure about the rigor of non-college prep classes or the caliber of students who are in non-AP or non-IB classes. In a more homogenous, affluent high school like Highland Park or a private school the "regular" classes will still be filled with kids who are on a college track, more or less.

People always talk about the "school within a school" nature of Woodrow, which means that the kids in the rigorous classes can and do get a superlative education. But if your kid can't handle the IB program or all-AP and is in classes with kids who are unprepared and unmotivated, it can be a difficult experience especially if he's struggling with attention issues or needs a lot of extra support. I'd go take a look around Woodrow for yourself, talk to some parents, counselors, etc.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:23 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,073 times
If your kid can do Ib, then you are set with Woodrow. If your kid can hack AP classes (High School IB is really only right for a small percentage, even of the very bright/gifted) then you are set with Woodrow. If your kid has some artistic/theatre/music gifts, you are set with Woodrow. They have great tracks for all these things. If not, it may or may not be for you.

I would again urge you to look at Munger Place Historic District , or Bryan Pkwy in the Swiss Avenue Historic District. Kids out all the time, all ages. The larger Old East Dallas area is very diverse. The Schools are good (Lipscomb/Long/Woodrow). It buts up against my neighborhood of Junius Heights and the kids all play together. My son is going to the arts vanguard this year, but we will miss the local school greatly. It was a hard decision, as there is a great group of people here. parents stay after school most days while the kids play on the playground for an hour or so. It might suit you well.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,172 times
Default Lakewood schools were right for our family

Coming from a woman that does her own edging and hedge trimming (my husband does the mowing), I appreciate your wanting to see that: Pride in your property. But you can take pride WITH a lawn service too. Probably smart in the heat these days! But you might be surprised that some people in Lakewood have chickens and sell eggs at their home. There are lots of green spaces, like Promise of Peace garden on East Grand. I'd have lots of fruit and veggies if I could afford the watering, so the last few years all I've had are herbs. The neighbors are mostly part of the neighborhood group, Lakewood Neighborhood Association and we get emails regularly from our block captain. We wave in the alley as we pass each other and we had a children's art camp at our house that neighbors came to last summer. Also I get facebook updates on missing pets and suchwhole neighborhood. When I walk our lab. 2 miles, I wave to most everyone or say hello, neighbors and repairmen alike. There are large groups of cyclists and runners that go around the lake all the time and there are rowing teams at White Rock lake as well. Our two kids went to Lakewood Elem, JL Long and Woodrow. PTA is very active at all these schools, as well as Site Based Decision Making teams (SBDM). Our youngest is now a senior. Lakewood has changed since he was there I know so I can't really speak about it. I do babysit for a neighbor who's son will be in third grade and I believe they enjoy the friendships they have made there. JL Long has changed too as the principal is Lakewood home grown, and I worked with her for her first year there. She has brought stability to the school, but again we have not experienced the school for three year. Now at Woodrow, my youngest has taken as many AP classes as he could every year, earned an great S.A.T. score this March for college applications this fall, and will be taking 5 APs this year including AP Calculus BC. Yes he has friends his age, and years above and younger. He is the Vice President of his class, has had leading roles in the musical for the past two years, and is the captain of the Tennis team. Woodrow has parent committees that work to raise money from the first day of Freshman year to lower the costs of tickets for ALL Woodrow students from all income levels. Lakewood stock and Lakewood Parade for fourth of July are both community events and they are SOME good time. I hope you explore these!!

Old 08-09-2012, 02:55 PM

216 posts, read 344,049 times
Quote:
And JenG, I do like Stonewall and we have considered the M streets, but I think it may be too young urban professional for us. I might be wrong though. I love the houses there. Reminds me a lot of some the Seattle Tudors. I really want a neighborhood where I feel safe enough to let the kids ride their bikes around and walk to friends' houses, etc... I'm not saying the M Streets isn't safe. I just wonder if a lot of that happens due to the demographics there. Seems like there aren't many families with older kids? Please correct me if I am wrong, though.
I'm not sure of the families with older kids -although I see plenty of teens walking around (I live by St. Thomas Aquinas). I do see lots of families and I do see kids out and about. I would say try to stay south of Anita and North of say Marquita. I would also stay either in the Greenland Hills area - or between Delmar and Skillman or Skillman and Abrams to remove yourself from the Greenville party crowd or from people that might wander down from Mockingbird.

East Dallas Neighborhood Information

I CAN say that I feel MUCH safer HERE than I did in a gated community in Frisco - which is totally weird - but I do. That being said - I probably won't let the little out on her own until she is over 8 yrs old. She is six now - but you just never know ANYWHERE. Of course I wouldn't have let her wander in Frisco either.

Another thing to consider with the older ones is that Dallas has some great magnet schools. Woodrow is not your only option. I know that I am 'hoping' that when mine is in HS - she will make it into Booker T Washington.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:38 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
^ WHAAAA? For drama, choir, show choir, dance and musical theater (Broadway musicals for 55 consecutive years), I would put Woodrow up against any school. Orchestra is taught by the amazing Angela Pendleton Strings Attached « East Dallas Times Our new band director is from.....Highland Park! He calls it "his dream job" ‘Dream job’ for new Woodrow band director | Advocate Magazine Our Woodrow Dance Theater performed in June for the Region 10 Fine Arts Summit at ... Highland Park High. And one of our new visual arts teachers holds a masters from Johns Hopkins, was part of The Nasher staff and is a Woodrow alumna!

Woodrow Choir performs at AAC Spring 2012 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYphvIfvOXE

Broadway Stars descend on Woodrow Spring 2012 http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/mixm...oadways_bi.php

Old 08-09-2012, 04:14 PM

216 posts, read 344,049 times
I love you Lakewooder.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:49 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Ohh now you are making me blush..

Old 08-09-2012, 07:41 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,702 times
Check this link out for information on schools....

Search for Public Schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas