Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2012, 11:08 AM

105 posts, read 240,684 times

Advertisements

We are looking at neighborhoods in North Dallas -both RISD -but two are city of Dallas and two are CoR. I was wondering what differences in city services I might expect one one side of the street vs. the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 12:31 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebinD View Post
We are looking at neighborhoods in North Dallas -both RISD -but two are city of Dallas and two are CoR. I was wondering what differences in city services I might expect one one side of the street vs. the other.
Not much. I think Richardson's waste management is better but I think also our city taxes are higher.

Not a whole lot is going to change from one side of the street to the other....crime rates will stay the same, insurance premiums will likely be similar, schools are the same, local shopping is the same, etc.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:43 PM

That's what I thought initially but then as I've dug deeper Richardson seems to have their city council built on neighborhoods and the residents are more plugged into how the city is run and that sort of thing.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:06 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebinD View Post
That's what I thought initially but then as I've dug deeper Richardson seems to have their city council built on neighborhoods and the residents are more plugged into how the city is run and that sort of thing.
Obviously I'm biased given where I live, but I think Richardson is more solicitous of resident input and is more responsive to it.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:15 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,434,786 times
Having lived in The Dallas side (Highlands North just W of Coit and Campbell) and the Richardson (Just north of Beltline near Cottonwood park). I would say Richardson's waste management is MUCH better. The Richardson Library also is miles better than the local Dallas branches, and the City of Richardson pools..... well they open in the summer, which the Dallas ones in that area do not. Now you can use The Richardson ones of course, but it costs a little more.
The Richardson public library used to allow Dallas Residents a librry card free, but I have been told that is no longer true (I have no idea if that is accurate).
Richardson government is a little more responsive to questions and concerns both individual and neighborhood. This is just a function of a smaller city, I belieive. I also recall Police response time being faster. Overall the differences are likely to be pretty minor, except for the library. Seriously the difference between say Fretz Park library and the Richardson Library is VAST! I have two friends who are MLS's and they both say that The Richardson library is the best collection in the Dallas area, outside of The Central Downtown Library. I certainly agree with them.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:08 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,026,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
Having lived in The Dallas side (Highlands North just W of Coit and Campbell) and the Richardson (Just north of Beltline near Cottonwood park). I would say Richardson's waste management is MUCH better. The Richardson Library also is miles better than the local Dallas branches, and the City of Richardson pools..... well they open in the summer, which the Dallas ones in that area do not. Now you can use The Richardson ones of course, but it costs a little more.
The Richardson public library used to allow Dallas Residents a librry card free, but I have been told that is no longer true (I have no idea if that is accurate).
Richardson government is a little more responsive to questions and concerns both individual and neighborhood. This is just a function of a smaller city, I belieive. I also recall Police response time being faster. Overall the differences are likely to be pretty minor, except for the library. Seriously the difference between say Fretz Park library and the Richardson Library is VAST! I have two friends who are MLS's and they both say that The Richardson library is the best collection in the Dallas area, outside of The Central Downtown Library. I certainly agree with them.
Maybe the Richardson library is better than the local branch of the Dallas library, but it can't be anywhere near the Dallas Central library? You can borrow books from any branch of the Dallas library system by requesting it online and then collecting it at your local branch. Turnaround time is quick too (I do it all the time).

Old 08-07-2012, 04:17 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,434,786 times
No the Central library is amazing. no question. that is why I said they said it was the best collection outside of the Central Downtown Library. Being able to get books, from the central library is great, but if you have kids it is no substitute for them being able to browse through bookshelves. Even for adults, there is an advantage to being able to browse through bookshelves. Probably less than half the time do I go to the library looking for a certain book. Back when I lived in Richardson the two times I needed something they didn't have they got it quickly through interlibrary loan. Both interlibrary loan and the Dallas transfer form different branches are great services, but they are different from a large well chosen collection you can browse. Especially for kids.

Incidentally who in the world decided to integrate juvinile nonfiction and adult nonfiction in Dallas? My son can no longer easily browse nonfiction, what a stupid barrier to children finding and selecting books. They don't blend the fiction, why on earth would they blend the non fiction?

Old 08-07-2012, 04:50 PM

Thanks for the input. I'm actually a member if the Richardson library already since they were one if the first in the area to do e-book lending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: