Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 10:12 AM

371 posts, read 378,745 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at several locations for a possible relocation, all career related and after a unsuccessful attempt at Phoenix and Fort Collins, CO, I am now looking at a possibility in Dallas. The only time I have been to Texas has been the airports, both Dallas and Houston, so I cannot get a feel for how it is based on that. I would be coming from Fort Lauderdale, so I already know the beach would be history but what I am more interested in knowing about is the job and housing market?

The job prospects are more for my wife who would be coming with no job lined up, she works in Business Administration, Sales and typical office work. How is the market in the North Dallas areas?

Also we would look at a rental first, are there townhomes or houses to rent or is it predominately made up of apartment complexes?

The job would in in the Carrollton area, I have no ideas on what the "nice" or "safe" areas are of North Dallas or what would fit our taste? We like to be near the typical amenities and etc. The area there is so massive, it dwarfs anything I ever lived in prior, so it's mind boggling.

Lastly, the change from South Florida to Texas, I am a bit confused on the climate, I read it's hot but compared to here, can any former South Floridians fill me in? Not as humid or ? I notice temps are often over 100F, so is it like Phoenix with more humidity? Is there ever a breeze? Tornadoes, a big risk or not much?

Culture wise and scenery, I know it will be different, Florida is flat so that's not a big change, the beach I know we will both miss.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 10:21 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
Its Phoenix weather but more humid. Plenty of nice ares to live in near or even in Carrollton. There is quite a bit of competition for houses and townhouses but if you work at it and can afford it you'll find something you like. Tons of apartments. Close to Carrollton with more of a vibe is Addison. Look on padmapper.com to get a sense of housing.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:23 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,544,553 times
I'm somewhat familiar with S. Florida (my brother's family lives near W. Palm in Lake Worth and we've visited there & Miami a few times). I would say that you'll deal with greater heat in Dallas, but much less humidity which would probably make it less oppressive. There isn't the lush tropical vegetation in Dallas of course, but the area can be surprisingly lush & green, especially in older areas.

Breeze?? lol Dallas can get quite windy at times - flying in & out can be an adventure! Culturally, of course there's a large Hispanic influence and there seem to be quite a few of Asian cultures fairly heavily-represented in the area. Overall, my impression is that the overall culture is a bit less "thuggish" than what seems to be the norm in S. Florida.

As we haven't made the move ourselves yet, I can't really advise on the rest of your questions, but I'm sure those knowledgeable members of this forum will chime in any minute now!

Old 08-09-2012, 10:56 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
I spent most of my life in New Orleans and I can tell you I will take the Dallas area's weather any day over that. I moved to this area from Salt Lake City and miss the weather there. But Dallas is far superior to LA, AL, MS, FL, NC, SC, TN in terms of weather.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:13 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,294 times
Made the move from South Florida to North Texas a few years back. One thing I do miss are the beautiful South Florida winters but then you pay for it with hellish, hurricane-ridden summers.

Someone upthread mentioned that Dallas summer weather is like Phoenix with more humidity (but less than Florida). While that's somewhat true, there's more variability in Dallas summer weather. There've been some years when we've hardly had any 100-degree days (2004) or it's been super-rainy (2007). And then you had last year where it was 70+ days of 100-degrees and above.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:25 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,408,992 times
The biggest difference in these two areas is if you want to live where tourists floke when they have the money to visit, stay in fla. IF you want a state and city which work and allow people to control their own lives without too much gov intervention....come on down.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:59 AM

70 posts, read 278,363 times
Carrollton is a nice, bedroom commuinty...probably has more single family homes than apts and townhouses. Addison is just to the east and has lots of town homes, condos, apts if you're starting out w/ renting. Addison is home to nearly every chain restaurant and bar you could imagine...as well as some good local places. And it's a business hub. So as far as communiting, it could be pretty short...a real plus around here.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:19 AM

812 posts, read 2,183,874 times
Agree with Texanne. Another place to consider is Irving because it's centrally located, near the airport, halfway between Dallas and Ft Worth, lots of temp housing, major employment center, fun place with great housing and apartments. Tons of restaurants.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:50 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,026,599 times
I lived in Phoenix before moving to Dallas and let me tell you, the summers in Dallas while being horribly hot, are still cooler than Phoenix. We don't regularly get 110+ F maximums like Phoenix does. It's less humid there, which helps, but it doesn't cool below 88-90 for weeks in a row. We here at least get down to 78-80F at night.

Wind: Dallas does get windy, but mostly in winter when it's already below 40 F, the summers are mostly dead calm.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:40 PM

504 posts, read 801,030 times
^^^

I don't agree with you. I will take 110 degrees of Vegas (very similar to Phoenix) with 7% humidity over 100 degrees of Dallas with 50-60% humidity any time. Dry heat is MUCH more comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas