Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 12:25 PM

5 posts, read 27,189 times

Advertisements

We are moving from IL to Texas. We have a 13 year old boy and 10 year old girl. We use to live in Flower Mound so we are familiar with the areas. We would prefer to move to Southlake (Flower Mound is a little too far out and the shopping/restaurants are more available in Southlake) However, I am concerned about what I have been reading about Southlake, as far as "keeping up with the jones" and pressure on the students. We want to live in an excellent school system, but also friendly and welcoming for our children and us. Also any thoughts on Colleyville? Any info would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 01:09 PM

11,819 posts, read 26,673,661 times
What's your budget for housing?

Old 08-12-2012, 02:42 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,926,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen333 View Post
We are moving from IL to Texas. We have a 13 year old boy and 10 year old girl. We use to live in Flower Mound so we are familiar with the areas. We would prefer to move to Southlake (Flower Mound is a little too far out and the shopping/restaurants are more available in Southlake) However, I am concerned about what I have been reading about Southlake, as far as "keeping up with the jones" and pressure on the students. We want to live in an excellent school system, but also friendly and welcoming for our children and us. Also any thoughts on Colleyville? Any info would be helpful.
I'd like to read something written about "keeping up with the Jones" from someone who actually lives in Southlake.

I live in Southlake and all I read is people from neighboring areas telling me what it's like here.

I've found people more friendly here than in our cookie cutter tract home division in North Euless.

High incomes go hand in hand with personable people.

Now, if you strive to go to the best parties, or some other elite functions then maybe you could encounter some of what they describe. But like most residents, it's just working, raising kids, and occasional, laid back, get-togethers.

Also, go check the parking lot out at the highschool. You are not going to see all these fancy cars. It's an urban legend.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:49 PM

Our price range is up to $900,000. Thank you pad crasher. I also wonder about the people that post negative comments about Southlake. Do they actually live there and experience it or live outside of Southlake and assume that is what the town is like because it is affluent. My main concern is my children adjusting well and fitting in, as it gets harder to move as kids get older and "cliques" are already established.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:10 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,926,434 times
Quote:
Our price range is up to $900,000. Thank you pad crasher. I also wonder about the people that post negative comments about Southlake. Do they actually live there and experience it or live outside of Southlake and assume that is what the town is like because it is affluent. My main concern is my children adjusting well and fitting in, as it gets harder to move as kids get older and "cliques" are already established.
That could be an issue for the first few years. Lots have kids have played on the same sports teams for years and developed close friendships. I can't really answer that since our kids have lived here since birth and haven't reached HS yet. At this age every kid in the class gets invited to the same birthday parties, and cliques haven't taken over yet. I could see how a kid that just moved into the area would have a smaller circle of friends but nothing like being not fitting in anywhere. If your kids do sports or band that's an excellent way to cut the ice.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:26 PM

11,819 posts, read 26,673,661 times
With your budget, your family won't have any problems in Southlake or Colleyville. Yes,some of the people in these areas can be somewhat "entitled" and there is some pressure for kids to have designer clothes, etc. But not everyone is like that, and mOst people are nice.

There was another recent poster who was trying to get into Southlake for under $400k only because of the schools, and was wanting to convert the house's garage to create another bedroom, etc. We were explaining to her that the type of environment she was looking for isn't what you will find in Southlake. She is now looking in other cities.

I come truly agree with you about Flower Mound being too isolated. There is now a ton of shopping, restaurants, etc up there, but if you want to leave town, it's still difficult.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:17 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,111,078 times
I think you will feel less pressure to "keep up" with a $900k budget (above average for Southlake) than a family who is scraping by to afford an "entry-price" $400k home in Southlake. A lot of how one feels about "keeping up" depends on where one falls in the financial "pecking" order.

If your family takes a few nice vacations a year (skiing, beach, major US cities, maybe Europe or Carribean once in a while), your kids can afford to be dressed in whatever the other kids are wearing, and you can afford to entertain at home or eat out as a family when invited.....I think you will just feel "normal" in Southlake. Make sense?

Old 08-13-2012, 12:13 PM

Turtle Creek, Thank you for your response. Even if we can afford Southlake, we don't necessary want pressure to give the kids everything they want. I have read a lot of posts about spoiled entitled kids in that area. No offense to anyone, I don't know if that is true or not. I know you will get that in any expensive area, but we are also conservative and want to raise happy, well adjusted respectful kids. While our kids get plenty we want them to appreciate it and not expect it or have great pressure to keep up with peers. We want nice families with traditional values and boundaries. For example, we would never buy our kids expensive cars. Thoughts on how kids are raised in Southlake? ALso is Colleyville very similar to Southlake, without the shopping? Does it have the same "feel" as Southlake or is it more low key? Thanks for all the responses.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:26 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,111,078 times
Quote:
Turtle Creek, Thank you for your response. Even if we can afford Southlake, we don't necessary want pressure to give the kids everything they want. I have read a lot of posts about spoiled entitled kids in that area. No offense to anyone, I don't know if that is true or not. I know you will get that in any expensive area, but we are also conservative and want to raise happy, well adjusted respectful kids. While our kids get plenty we want them to appreciate it and not expect it or have great pressure to keep up with peers. We want nice families with traditional values and boundaries. For example, we would never buy our kids expensive cars. Thoughts on how kids are raised in Southlake? ALso is Colleyville very similar to Southlake, without the shopping? Does it have the same "feel" as Southlake or is it more low key? Thanks for all the responses.
As with most affluent areas, you will find all kinds of families. Those who are more conservative with money and don't spoil their kids and those who are flashy and do. I think if you drive by any of the affluent high schools in the metroplex, you'll find a variety of cars ("embarrasing" beaters, late model Hondas/ Jeeps/ Explorers and some brand new BMW's and Land Rovers).

In an area as big as Southlake (or FM or Plano or Colleyville or wherever), you're bound to find some genuiune new friends who are raising their kids the same way you are.....and some folks you find downright obnoxious. It just comes with the $1M home territory.

I personally really like Colleyville (the big, wooded lots, more "country lane" feel) but it is definitely more removed from shopping/ commercial and the schools are good, but not as good as Southlake or Flower Mound. It's also a good bit further west which can limit one's job opportunities/ "bearable" commutes.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:11 AM

69 posts, read 139,100 times
We have been in Southlake for one year and it has been a great experience. Our second son did his Senior Year in HS and we have a daughter that just finished 3rd Grade. Both had a great experience end even the college-bound Senior made great friends in just one year.

In our opinion, peer pressure and trying to keep up with the neighbors is an individual decision. Heck, probably the targeted "Jones" couldn't care less about people trying to impress them.

As my wife and I say, we extremely dislike snooty people, but we love where they live. We have still to find anyone we did not like. Even the guys driving their Porsches and Ferraris on any given weekend seem to be having a blast and just happy to be taking a drive in the early morning sun.

Don't worry about Southlake. For us, it was the best decision. I am sure that we wouldn't have been as pleased with either Flower Mound or Colleyville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas