Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 06:58 AM

13 posts, read 18,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
I think that the Southlake/Grapevine to West Plano commute would run longer than 45 minutes if there is any traffic (meaning rush hour times approx. 7-9 am & approx. 4-7 pm) or any accidents.

I think that you should look at West Plano/Frisco/McKinney/Prosper

Thanks for the local knowledge - it is really useful. Shame as we really liked the look of Southlake. That said, there look to be some great properties in those areas you've suggested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 01:20 PM

22 posts, read 42,877 times
We just moved to Plano last month. You will be happy in West Plano--great schools, easy access to lots of ammenities. My hubby had job interviews is several places around DFW, so I can try to share my opinions about some of the areas you're considering. Grapevine is nice, but at least in our price range, the homes were 10+ years older & it showed--in design, less windows, lack of upkeep/updating. Also, there is A LOT of major road construction going on at 121 and 114 in Grapevine, which I think would make the commute to West Plano kind of a mess (at least until it gets complete). We also looked at McKinney, and in particular Stonebriar area. It is a lovely masterplanned community, with quality built newer homes, and on slightly larger lots. What I didn't like.....schools are not near as good as Plano ISD and, you had to drive forever along windy roads to get around/through & to these neighborhoods. If you like the feeling of seclusion or "eliteness' or whatever that gives you, then you might be happy. I didn't like that I spent an extra 5-10 minutes just to get out of a neighborhood. Corner gas station & grocery might be close, but everything else is a little farther away than it will be in Plano. Having been in Plano for 1 month, west Plano is my favorite part of town & I only wish I could afford to live there! Good Luck!

Old 08-13-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lablvrs View Post
You will be happy in West Plano--great schools, easy access to lots of ammenities. Having been in Plano for 1 month, west Plano is my favorite part of town & I only wish I could afford to live there! Good Luck!
We do like the look of the houses in West Plano and have heard wonderful things about the schools there - our only reservation is having a pool without some lawn for the children to play on. We don't need a huge area but something in addition to the pool. We will look closer at West Plano to see what we can afford realistically. Really pleased that you're settling in well and enjoying life there. Thanks again for your response. BTW, did you think that all of McKinney was secuded or just the development you referred to?

Old 08-13-2012, 04:13 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,032 times
We were going to do Southlake but decided to go with Prosper instead...Prosper would be my number 1 suggestion for you...

Old 08-13-2012, 04:21 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I live in West Plano and find it ideal and would suit your situation well. Some of the older neighborhoods have larger lots than the newer ones if you dont mind an older home. If a large lot if key look in Prosper. The schools arent up to Plano standards but certainly are good. The work commute down N. Dallas Tollroad does charge a toll of course but it is not bad to West Plano at all.

Welcome to Tx and the US, which part of UK? I know the area from working with our offices in UK from London proper to Leatherhead to Aberdeen etc.

Prosper schools are a selling point for the town.Plano schools are a pretty hot topic right now.We moved to the DFW area from Greenwich,Ct.Prosper and Southlake felt like home to us.Plano is a great fit for many but it felt least like home for us.Make sure to do your own research and choose to live in a district that works for you and your family.

Search for Public Schools

//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...ry-campus.html

Old 08-24-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lablvrs View Post
We just moved to Plano last month. You will be happy in West Plano--great schools, easy access to lots of ammenities. My hubby had job interviews is several places around DFW, so I can try to share my opinions about some of the areas you're considering. Grapevine is nice, but at least in our price range, the homes were 10+ years older & it showed--in design, less windows, lack of upkeep/updating. Also, there is A LOT of major road construction going on at 121 and 114 in Grapevine, which I think would make the commute to West Plano kind of a mess (at least until it gets complete). We also looked at McKinney, and in particular Stonebriar area. It is a lovely masterplanned community, with quality built newer homes, and on slightly larger lots. What I didn't like.....schools are not near as good as Plano ISD and, you had to drive forever along windy roads to get around/through & to these neighborhoods. If you like the feeling of seclusion or "eliteness' or whatever that gives you, then you might be happy. I didn't like that I spent an extra 5-10 minutes just to get out of a neighborhood. Corner gas station & grocery might be close, but everything else is a little farther away than it will be in Plano. Having been in Plano for 1 month, west Plano is my favorite part of town & I only wish I could afford to live there! Good Luck!
Thank you for time and input. Its really appreciated.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:21 PM

Smile Pros and cons of old and new build houses and Septic tanks?

Hi Everyone,

I have noticed that some people tend to prefer new build houses on these forums in the US because of light size etc. Is this just personally preference or do older homes hold more long term problems and maintenance.

I see that alot of older properties have septic tanks. Is this a major consideration when buying a property. Reason we ask is that we have no experience with them where we live in the UK.

Thank you for any advice and help in advance.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:48 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,488,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berkley27b View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have noticed that some people tend to prefer new build houses on these forums in the US because of light size etc. Is this just personally preference or do older homes hold more long term problems and maintenance.

I see that alot of older properties have septic tanks. Is this a major consideration when buying a property. Reason we ask is that we have no experience with them where we live in the UK.

Thank you for any advice and help in advance.
I'm curious, where are you looking? I don't think I've ever seen a listing around here with a septic tank, only out in the country. Many people like new build houses because they are coming from parts of the USA where they didn't get much house for their money. Other people prefer older ranch-style homes (50s and 60s), I am one of those, I think they are better made with the exception of the really high-end new homes. I have a 1964 ranch, solid as a rock. It only needed some updating when I moved in.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Now days many do not want the hassle of any older home problems. Maintenance cost have not really reduced since 2008. Alot of people who bought during the last 15 years alos over bought so they could properly maintain those homes which shows in mnay homes.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I'm curious, where are you looking? I don't think I've ever seen a listing around here with a septic tank, only out in the country. Many people like new build houses because they are coming from parts of the USA where they didn't get much house for their money. Other people prefer older ranch-style homes (50s and 60s), I am one of those, I think they are better made with the exception of the really high-end new homes. I have a 1964 ranch, solid as a rock. It only needed some updating when I moved in.
Hi,

We were looking at a property in Fairview..The homes seem to be older here too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas