Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 04:09 AM

2 posts, read 4,095 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me what it's like to live on L streets or in that neighborhood?

What is it like to live in Dallas and being heavily tattooed? Ok or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 05:28 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Doesn't quite have the panache of the "M" streets, and the prices reflect that. I've never lived in that area, but a friend of mine lives just south of there across Loop 12. Close proximity to White Rock Lake, and an easy commute to downtown. Hopefully someone else can chime in with firsthand experience of living in the neighborhood.

As far as being tattooed goes... You'll be in the minority no matter what city you live in. However, you certainly won't be the only person like that in Big D, you can find lots of people tattooed that hang out in the lower Greenville area, lots of tattoo parlors and stuff down there. So, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Now, if you were planning on living in an affluent area like Highland Park, you'd stick out like a sore thumb, and your neighbors would probably call HPPD on you just for the way you look.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:17 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,634,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
As far as being tattooed goes... You'll be in the minority no matter what city you live in. However, you certainly won't be the only person like that in Big D, you can find lots of people tattooed that hang out in the lower Greenville area, lots of tattoo parlors and stuff down there. So, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Now, if you were planning on living in an affluent area like Highland Park, you'd stick out like a sore thumb, and your neighbors would probably call HPPD on you just for the way you look.
Not sure about the L streets.

As far as tattoos go, it depends on where you live. In most of East Dallas, you will be fine. (not only lower Greenville). If you move to HP/UP or the burbs, you will probably be in the minority. Go to the Lakewood Whole Foods and you will fit right in

Old 08-13-2012, 06:26 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
L Streets is a great family neighborhood- may not have the "panache" of M Streets (wth?) but they aren't two neighborhoods that are typically shopped together since M Streets costs 2-4X more....

L Streets are nicely maintained 1960's ranch style homes in the city of Dallas, zoned to Richardson ISD's Lake Highlands schools. It's a well-priced solution for those who want to live in the city but dot want DISD schools or can't afford to live where the good ones are. It's right by both Flagpole Hill (lots of events throughout the year, again a lot are family oriented) and White Rock (great running, biking, rowing, relaxing, etc).

Downsides if you're single and like to be near lots of things is that it's about a 10-20 minute drive to highlife & entertainment (whether you want to hang out on Greenville Ave, Uptown, Deep Ellum, North Oak Cliff, etc), doesn't have a lot of commercial nearby (ie, can't think of where the closest coffee house is), and if you keep going east just a mile or so more, turns somewhat seedy @ Jupiter & NW Highway.

Since the only things we can gather about you are possibly your budget (based on L Streets prices) and the fact that you have tattoos....it's kind of hard to make other recommendations. Need to know where you'll work/commute to and what other interests / lifestyle you want. L Streets could be ok or you could be bored to tears. We don't know without knowing more about you.

Tattoos aren't a huge deal. I'm assuming you have a "sleeve" or something like that. In Dallas, generally the East side neighborhoods (from 75 all the way east of White Rock), Deep Ellum / Expo Park, The Cedars/ Southside, and North Oak Cliff are more "live and let live" places and Uptown/ Park Cities/ North Dallas are a little more "buttoned up." If that helps point your search in the right direction at all?

Old 08-13-2012, 08:01 AM

743 posts, read 1,320,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Doesn't quite have the panache of the "M" streets, and the prices reflect that. I've never lived in that area, but a friend of mine lives just south of there across Loop 12.
Pro-tip to the OP: if you move to the L streets don't call Northwest Highway "Loop 12".

I have some professional acquaintances who live in the L streets and despite the suits and ties during the day they are the tattoo sleeve type. So take that for what it's worth.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:48 AM

2 posts, read 4,095 times
Thanks for the answers!
L streets is in our price range and looks nice, will be moving with our daughter and my husband will be working downtown.
Is the neighborhood pretty safe?

I'm heavenly tattooed, not just a sleeve

Old 08-15-2012, 10:50 AM

20 posts, read 57,733 times
I live in Highland Meadows across Plano Rd from the L-streets. The L-streets neighborhood is pretty safe. Mix of mid 30-mid 40 year old families with kids and older empty nesters. LHE is still a pretty good school. LH Junior High isn't bad as long as your kid is in the honors/pre-AP program. White Rock Elementary is probably the best elementary school in the 75238 part of LH but that school is zoned to the neighborhood west of Audelia I believe. For K-6 many parents send their kids to the privates like St. Patrick's, St. James, and Highlander school.

Most people shop at the signature Kroger or the Albertson's on Ferndale. You are right near one of the best Italian restaurants Tony's on NW Hwy. There is a new sports bar called Go for It on Plano/NW Hwy next to the Kroger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas