Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 06:00 PM

4 posts, read 6,618 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to relocate. On a whim I decided to apply for a bunch of jobs.. To my surprise I was offered 90% of them. The one I am most interested in is in Lake Dallas, TX. Im looking for some insight. I have no family down there. However, I am an have been looking to get out of Ohio. I'm a 21 year old female who has a great career here in Ohio. Is it worth it to up and leave? The job in Texas sounds great too. Anyone have advice on living in Texas vs Ohio? Or know how lake Dallas is?? Any advice would be great. I really don't want to regret this either way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 10:14 PM

714 posts, read 2,931,626 times
I moved from Canton Ohio 32+ years ago. There are pros and cons, and I am not talking about the difference between Texas and Ohio. But the move took me further away from my friends and family - as you get older, you have regrets. Other than that, overall it was a good move. I'd probably be on a minimum wage career if I stayed in Ohio.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:28 AM

681 posts, read 1,670,976 times
What field do you work in? Did you do all your interviews by phone, video conferencing?

Old 08-16-2012, 10:51 AM

690 posts, read 1,728,457 times
Lake Dallas is a family oriented community, someone of your age may want to live closer to the
Dallas uptown or Addison circle. Locations that have a nightlife which currently may be to
a young persons lifestyle.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:08 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,726,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyJoe817 View Post
Lake Dallas is a family oriented community, someone of your age may want to live closer to the
Dallas uptown or Addison circle. Locations that have a nightlife which currently may be to
a young persons lifestyle.
Actually, I think if the OP is working in Lake Dallas, but wants to be around young people, Denton would be the way to go.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:35 AM

690 posts, read 1,728,457 times
I agree, I should have included Denton as well. I enjoyed attending UNT myself.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:58 AM

359 posts, read 548,973 times
I am originally from Ohio, but now live in Dallas.

The Dallas area is like a very large, very sunny, very warm version of Columbus, but with a booming economy and very friendly people. It can get HOT in the summer, but the daily highs in the winter can be in the 50's, 60's, and even in the 70's, with many sunny days. No more blizzards!!

Also, Dallas is not only very large, but also has a large city right next door, Ft Worth. Living here is like getting two cities for the price of one. Dallas is a little more "flashy" and is more about image and money (but people are still very friendly). Meanwhile, Ft Worth is more affordable and is more down to earth, and has more of that 'cowboy' feel to it that one might associate with Texas. There is also a large hispanic population here, too.

Texas is a very large state (five times bigger than Ohio) and has five major regions to it, so it is hard to describe "Texas", but the region where Dallas is located is in some ways, similar to Ohio, but also somewhat similar to places like Florida, or California. It is not 'southern', but it is 'south-western'. You will find a lot of houses that just look like brick midwestern houses, but also a lot of "spanish-style' houses that look like they might be in Los Angeles or Miami. There are also palm trees here and things like ferns and cactus, in addition to regular trees that you would find up north.

As far as suburbs go, the burbs that are north of dallas (and north of Ft Worth too) are considered to be the nicer burbs, but there are really nice places to live all over this place. As a single person, yes, you will probably want to live either in the Uptown neighborhood of Dallas (lots of single people there), or live in Addison TX, which is a singles-oriented suburb north of Dallas. Really great place, with lots of new apartments and many bars and restaurants. However, since this region is so large, you will need to live fairly close to where your job is located, so make that your priority.

I would definitely leave Ohio at this point. The economy there is terrible, and it is a depressing place with terrible weather. The people up there are mean, nasty, and bitter. Yes, it is true that it is tough to move accross country and leave family and friends behind, but if you are someone with a decent personality, it is not hard at all to meet people here in the DFW Metroplex. Especially if you join some Meetup groups, it is easy to find friends who have similar interests as you. And actually - the word 'texas' is actually an old Caddo indian word that means "friendship".

DFW has a very upbeat, entreprenurial vibe. Texas is the last place remaining in this country where you can still live the American Dream. Come join us in the pursuit of happiness and the achievement of your dreams.

Last edited by Link N. Parker; 08-16-2012 at 12:08 PM..

Old 08-16-2012, 01:09 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,050,613 times
Lake Dallas is a nice little town right on Lake Lewville/Old Lake Dallas.

Living locations that make sense in descending order.
1. Denton - Denton and LD are north of the I35 bridge over the lake.

2. West Plano/Shops at Legacy area, Austin Ranch, Addison and portions of The Colony sport lots of young people and from which getting to Lake Dallas is doable. I'd look at Shops at Legacy and Austin Ranch very closely.

3. Uptown is just simply too far from Lake Dallas for a reasonable commute.

The State is trying to rustle up the cash to rebuild I35 from I635 north to Denton. When they start this will be an epic commuting disaster for several years. That's another reason to not consider Uptown and to consider living north of the lake.

Best of luck.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:30 AM

4 posts, read 6,618 times
Thank you for all your responses! I didn't even notice I had gotten any for some reason. I am actually on my way back to Ohio from Texas now. I got the official job offer today and I've decided I'm taking it. I put a deposit down on an apartment in Lewisville! Seems like an awesome city that can offer me anything I want with the conveinence of being very centralized!

Old 08-30-2012, 10:06 AM

681 posts, read 1,670,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedes316 View Post
Thank you for all your responses! I didn't even notice I had gotten any for some reason. I am actually on my way back to Ohio from Texas now. I got the official job offer today and I've decided I'm taking it. I put a deposit down on an apartment in Lewisville! Seems like an awesome city that can offer me anything I want with the conveinence of being very centralized!
Congrats to you on the job offer. I wanted to ask how long your job search took, and if they made you go on many interviews? What kind of work do you do?

I ask because I'm trying to time myself properly when it comes to sending out resumes etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas