Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2007, 11:46 AM

115 posts, read 540,072 times

Advertisements

I am debating a move to either Dallas or Garland, TX or Marietta, GA by the end of the year and I need a lil advice and a few questions. Is the cost of living high in TX? Does Dallas have hard water there? What areas should I avoid? I am a Surgical Technician, will it be hard finding a job? I know it gets hot there but is the humidity high in the summer too? Some one who has good info please reply, Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 12:05 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,056,723 times
I visit southern FLA once or twice per year and the humidity there kills me -- and I grew up in Dallas...

Old 10-04-2007, 01:21 PM

670 posts, read 2,992,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEKI View Post
I am debating a move to either Dallas or Garland, TX or Marietta, GA by the end of the year and I need a lil advice and a few questions. Is the cost of living high in TX? Does Dallas have hard water there? What areas should I avoid? I am a Surgical Technician, will it be hard finding a job? I know it gets hot there but is the humidity high in the summer too? Some one who has good info please reply, Thanks.
Hi Keki!

IIRC you're from Louisiana and it is NOT at all as humid as that, but it is more humid than say Denver? My husband is from Southern Mississippi and New Orleans for most of his life, he finds it "dry" in Dallas so go figure.

I find COL less than I have in Georgia (Columbus). My girlfriend rents a nice 1 bedroom with an attached garage for around $700 a month in Plano her job. I don't know what downtown apartments would be, I'd think slightly more with a garage and maybe around $700 without? I'm sure one of the folks that live closer to downtown can help.

I know there are a LOT of hospitals and surgicenters in and around the Metroplex, so I wouldn't think finding work would be a problem. If you don't have a car you want to be around the DART lines though so keep an eye on that.

ETA: Also I think it's regular water, I don't find it hard where I feel torn up after a shower or too soft where I feel like I can't rinse things off.

Last edited by USA_Mom; 10-04-2007 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: Water question.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:48 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,744,867 times
Keki,

Are you looking for the single life or married/family life? Even if it were the "single life" it just depends on the lifestyle you want to live if you want the burbs like Garland or closer into downtown. If you want a little bit of action close by but the big nightlife farther away then the burbs like Garland would be fine. Try checking out the new apartments located at Firewheel Town Center (outdoor mall in Garland), Parkside at Firewheel as I heard the rents for a 1 bedroom were in the $550 range. Walking distance to the mall (across an inner ring street), restaurants, AMC theater, etc. DART even runs thru there.
::PARKSIDE AT FIREWHEEL::

If you want closer to the nightlife then of course I'd recommend something like Uptown, Knox-Henderson, McKinney Ave, M Streets, etc in Dallas.

Cost of living compared to what I've experienced in Florida for gas & groceries it is much lower here. Dallas is also home to TONS of womens clothing warehouses, design district and private sales. You can dress in the latest fads for pennies if you find all of the sales and people will think you shop at the higher end boutiques.

Humidity - compared to Southern Florida it is almost arid here. LOL!!! I've never sweat so much in all my life as I have in The Keys. Houston is more humid than Dallas but we are still nothing compared to many areas of Florida.

As surgical tech you should have no problem finding a job. There are tons of smaller hospitals in all of the burbs that are affiliated w/ the big guys downtown (Baylor, Presby, etc). We also have the surgery centers really spreading all over the place. We deal w/ several of them in the area and they stay pretty busy. You can find them all over the Dallas metroplex.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:01 PM

115 posts, read 540,072 times
Thanks everyone for your imput. Hey momof2dfw I am a christian soon to be married. I have children but their ages are 15-21 and I have grandkids. USA_MOM I remembered you told me you were coming back to Dallas. Is that still an option for you? You convinced me against Columbus so Here I come Dallas.The houses there are beautiful.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:20 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,744,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEKI View Post
Thanks everyone for your imput. Hey momof2dfw I am a christian soon to be married. I have children but their ages are 15-21 and I have grandkids. USA_MOM I remembered you told me you were coming back to Dallas. Is that still an option for you? You convinced me against Columbus so Here I come Dallas.The houses there are beautiful.
My kids would LOVE for their grandparents to move into the apartments at the mall, lol Kids. Of course my mom & dad wanted a yard so they bought a house. I'm going to guess then the burbs are more your style but w/ easy access to all of the offerings of the metroplex. Garland would be an easy place to fit in and be close to others your age that are active and easy access to major highways.

Welcome to Dallas

Old 10-09-2007, 06:43 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,221,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
My kids would LOVE for their grandparents to move into the apartments at the mall, lol Kids. Of course my mom & dad wanted a yard so they bought a house. I'm going to guess then the burbs are more your style but w/ easy access to all of the offerings of the metroplex. Garland would be an easy place to fit in and be close to others your age that are active and easy access to major highways.

Welcome to Dallas
Those apartments at the mall oh how I would love to live there, but I think I would spend all my money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas