Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 06:58 AM

684 posts, read 825,194 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving from London, England to the US within the next few months. I'm currently looking at a home in Dallas within an area called 'Highland Park'. It looks like a beautiful area and the home itself looks amazing. I suspect it's a great place, but I am concerned about it for a couple of reasons.

1) The home has been on the market for over 180 days. This is a red flag in a growth area like Dallas. Other homes in the area seem to be suffering the same fate. Is this just a case of the US housing market collapse, or is it reflective of the area?

2) It's relatively close to an airport. I see that Southwest Airlines still maintains a major presence here. Is there a problem with noise?

3) It appears close to central Dallas. Is this an issue?

I suspect the answer is going to be that it's fine, but as I have a few options at the moment, I'd like to know what locals think before making a firm decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 07:01 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
a house that has been on the market. 180 days in Highland Park is a problem house unless it is at the top end of the marlet, or over $3M. That is a highly desirable area.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:47 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
What did your agent say about the high DOM ? Is there a foundation issue or need of major updates ?

Old 08-21-2012, 08:16 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
2) It's relatively close to an airport. I see that Southwest Airlines still maintains a major presence here. Is there a problem with noise?

Love Field continues to be a busy airport. Southwest Airlines has become a good sized airline with flights throughout the country.
Quote:
http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/st...03/story7.html

Love Field is now one of the airline's fastest-growing markets, thanks to the controversial loosening of federal Wright Amendment restrictions in late 2006 that now allow through-ticketing from Love Field to the rest of the country.
The flight path for Love Field is directly over Cedar Springs Rd. and/or Lemmon Ave. Highland Park may see and/or occasionally hear aircraft taking off or landing but should not be a problem.

You might search posts by TurtleCreek80 for references to Highland Park for more concise input regarding the neighborhood.

Last edited by Willsson; 08-21-2012 at 08:24 AM..

Old 08-21-2012, 08:22 AM

743 posts, read 1,320,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusFugitive View Post
I'm considering moving from London, England to the US within the next few months. I'm currently looking at a home in Dallas within an area called 'Highland Park'. It looks like a beautiful area and the home itself looks amazing. I suspect it's a great place, but I am concerned about it for a couple of reasons.

1) The home has been on the market for over 180 days. This is a red flag in a growth area like Dallas. Other homes in the area seem to be suffering the same fate. Is this just a case of the US housing market collapse, or is it reflective of the area?

I suspect the answer is going to be that it's fine, but as I have a few options at the moment, I'd like to know what locals think before making a firm decision.

Yes, people in Dallas really enjoy air traffic noise. So much so that we'll pay over $1M to live in the flight path-- especially in unsafe areas. Some of the acoustics are so good that we'll even bid properties up towards $8M.

The British enjoy sarcasm, right?

Old 08-21-2012, 08:47 AM

684 posts, read 825,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
Yes, people in Dallas really enjoy air traffic noise. So much so that we'll pay over $1M to live in the flight path-- especially in unsafe areas. Some of the acoustics are so good that we'll even bid properties up towards $8M.

The British enjoy sarcasm, right?
Being pithy with sarcasm is important. One cannot simply state the opposite of what one intends and call it sarcasm. It must be used sparingly for effect. Chandler from Friends, for instance, is a master of sarcasm.

The British enjoy being pedantic twits more than sarcasm, however.

I'm excited! There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the home. I found it on Trulia, however, and haven't yet gotten to the point in spending money to have it examined. Real estate is much less expensive in Dallas than in London.

I appreciate everyone's help. You've been great.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:05 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Wait for TC80 to chime in. She'll give you the best advice of anyone here.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:11 AM

743 posts, read 1,320,776 times
Quote:
Being pithy with sarcasm is important. One cannot simply state the opposite of what one intends and call it sarcasm. It must be used sparingly for effect. Chandler from Friends, for instance, is a master of sarcasm.

The British enjoy being pedantic twits more than sarcasm, however.

I'm excited! There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the home. I found it on Trulia, however, and haven't yet gotten to the point in spending money to have it examined. Real estate is much less expensive in Dallas than in London.

I appreciate everyone's help. You've been great.
Love it. Good luck to you

Old 08-21-2012, 09:23 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
The Town of Highland Park is one of two small cities surrounded by the city of Dallas. Together, they are called the Park Cities. This area is one of the most affluent enclaves in the US. Both cities have their own police & fire forces, mayors/ city council, etc. You can enjoy living very close to everything in Dallas with the added bonus of almost zero crime and the best public schools in North Texas. There is a small extension of HP that is west of the Dallas North Tollroad that falls under the town's fire/police/trash/ etc services but NOT HP schools so be mindful of that.

The towns are both well-maintained with beautiful 100 year old mansions and cottages lined up next to new - mostly tasteful- construction. Tudor, Spanish/ Mediterranean, US Craftsman, Mid-Century Modern, Modern, Colonial, French Eclectic, etc architected is all found here. About 20% of the cities' land is park space songs of greenery and places for kids to play! Many public tennis courts and both HP and UP have fabulous pools for their residents to use. Shopping is plentiful at Highland Park Village, Snider Plaza, Lovers Lane's "Miracle Mile", and Preston Center. NorthPark Mall with Neiman's, Nordstrom, Barney's, etc is just across UP's north border at Northwest Hwy & 75. 10 minutes from the Dallas Arts District (museums, symphony, opera, musicals, theatre) and tons of great restaurants around the city. Dining in HP/UP is more family oriented with the exception of a few spots in HP Village.

The average home price is a tad over $1M right now. The market is HOT since January and well-priced homes are selling within weeks. Definitely under 30 days, unless you're looking at the top end of the market, $3M+. A home on the market for 180 days is either overpriced or has a major location flaw. Or needs tons of work. Do you have a local realtor yet? It's crucial.

Love Field noise isn't an issue and having the airport within 10 minutes is great for those who fly private for work or personal. Southwest Airlines is the main one at Love Field. The others all fly out of DFW in Irving.

The only drawback to the Park Cities is a lack of diversify. The area is about 92% white, although the non-white population is certainly growing.

If you are interested in HP, expand your search to include UP as well. It's adjacent to the town's north border and is slightly bigger so there are more homes to choose from.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:30 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
Quote:

Until TurtleCreek chimes in, I'll give my .02.

Highland Park/University Park is an excellent area. The crime rate is almost non existent and the public schools are some of the best in the state and the nation.

1) A home in HP listing 180 or longer is unusual. The home maybe in need of repairs or like mentioned above, it's in the higher end brackets.

2) We don't notice near the air traffic at our Highland Park residence as we do at our down town residence. My guess is a lot of the traffic if any comes and goes over the southern edge of HP.

3) Highland Park was one of the first sub-burbs built outside of down town Dallas. So it relative terms, it's located close to down town. This is a non issue however. Highland Park/ University Park or what people calls Park Cities is actually relatively quite and calm despite being nestled inside a large metro city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas