Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 11:06 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,635,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLadyK View Post
That's my point Turtle! I'm driving the family's "new" car, and it is a 2-year old SUV. I wouldn't hand that "nice" of a car to a 16-year old. My husband drives a 12-year old car. Two vacations a year PLUS summer camp is considered middle class? I think middle class would think that's luxury! Neiman's? I've never even been inside save for the annual Christmas tree lighting downtown. My purse is 3 years old, was a Christmas gift from my sister-in-law, and to be honest, I think it came from Francesca's. What you're describing as "middle class" is not the middle of middle class neighborhoods.
I would have to agree. The summer camps you mention are are $1000-$1500 per week and up. That is close to my entire summer camp budget. I am sitting with PinkLady with a car I inheritied. My 2-yr old purse from Sam Moon sits on the front seat. We take driving vacations - in my 5yr old Prius. I think I am living a 'good life' in Lakewood, but still don't think I can afford to live in HP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 11:09 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,635,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
. That IS "normal" for most Lakewood proper families. .
I think that is a small percentage of Lakewood proper, not "normal" or most. (or maybe I am really poor compared to what I thought!)

Old 08-28-2012, 11:24 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
I think that is a small percentage of Lakewood proper, not "normal" or most. (or maybe I am really poor compared to what I thought!)
I think there are a lot more families who are in private schools and are maybe "off the radar" for most of the public school families....but pretty much everyone we know in Lakewood (about 20 families/couples and a lot of the neighbors for 2 of those families) fits the "bill" I described. I'd say over half with kids are in private schools though. It's a lot of double attorney, attorney + doctor, double doctor, attorney + corporate exec type professions with only 1 living off family money (the SAHM).

Old 08-28-2012, 11:28 AM

986 posts, read 1,272,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I did grow up in the Park Cities and from where I sit, there's a BIG difference in handing a kid a $45k new BMW and a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I purposely said "Park Cities middle class" because there is a huge variance between the billionaires like Bob Rowling (Beverly Drive) and Jerry Jones (Preston Road), the "middle of the road" families, and the small % who are renting tiny apartments on the periphery of the school district. Most families are "in the middle" and what I was describing is what that lifestyle looks like in HPISD. Not that I believe that is what a typical American "middle class" lifestyle is.

However- if you think the teenage girls who live in Lakewood proper (the $600k-2M houses) and attend Woodrow Wilson or Bishop Lynch don't have Coach / Tory Burch/ LV handbags and don't buy their prom dresses at Neiman's or Nordstrom.....you're in for a big surprise. Yes, their classmates who can't afford those things won't have them (points for economic diversity), but my college roommate was a former WW cheerleader driving a 3-series BMW (not brand new, but recent) sporting a great wardrobe and doing the whole sorority thing with no financial troubles. That IS "normal" for most Lakewood proper families. Our good friends live in probably a $1M home on West Bay, child in public schools, 2 German luxury cars + an SUV, have a $500k-ish lake house at Cedar Creek, mom is SAH and does mostly school/ charity work, they spend a month in Colorado every year. Other good friends in Lakewood are double attorneys who just this month were in British Virgin Islands, Vegas, and Napa. Other friends have a home on the Gulf coast, a ranch, and two kids at ESD ($50-60k/year). They don't look THAT different than their similar income counterparts in the Park Cities- sorry. The only difference is the classmates they will encounter once they hit middle school.
Really? The average WW-attending girl in Lakewood drives a recent BMW, has a vacation home, and will pledge a sorority? I admit I have little experience with either (WW or LW).

My post isn't a slam against HP/UP (or you or the other residents). Like I said from the get-go, we're considering moving there. I want nothing more than for it to be as you describe.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:34 AM

743 posts, read 1,320,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
What do you consider Lakewood "proper"? I'm not seeing anything on the market under 400k that doesn't need a huge amount of work. Now, people in 400k 2 bedroom ranches are not richy-rich, but they are at or near a six figure household income.

For my money Lakewood proper is Abrams to the lake between Gaston and Mockingbird. And if I'm feeling snobby the ranch houses north of Williamson and Bob O Link don't count either.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:41 AM

Six figures doesn't get you into the Park Cities though. LW, sure.

Turtle -- with all do respect (I've already told you how nifty I think you are!), certainly you're not friends with "average" poeple in LW. We fraternize with those like us. You know people with higher incomes than average.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:51 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Lakewood/East Dallas (and its schools) are pretty much 'everything' - very hard to classify or pigeonhole. That's really what's great about the area. It's also a reason some people avoid it, because they really can't understand from the outside...

Old 08-28-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Six figures doesn't get you into the Park Cities though. LW, sure.
We can quibble about the margins, but I hold that the average Lakewood/Woodrow girl is very well off. Many, if not most, of them would have the means to rush a sorority (plenty do). They would not be the poorest girls at HP.

The 2009 ACS has the median income in census tract 8 (Lakewood north of Lakewood Blvd) as 111k and 24% of the households make over 200k. That's actually a higher median income than UPs census tract 194 (Hillcrest to Turtle Creek). There are 1150 families in the Lakewood attendance zone with HHI over 200k. The town of HP has 1760. Huge disparities?

Old 08-28-2012, 12:00 PM

No, I gotcha. But do we know how many of those 1150 $200K+ families are going to WW? I bet most of them (80%) go private, don't you think? Whereas I think TC said 80% of folks in HP go to HP.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
No, I gotcha. But do we know how many of those 1150 $200K+ families are going to WW? I bet most of them (80%) go private, don't you think? Whereas I think TC said 80% of folks in HP go to HP.
Oh, yes. I agree. ACS has a little over 50% of elementary aged children from Lakewood in private and a little under 20% in HP.

If Lakewood families choose Woodrow at the same rate as HP families the school would look very different. Even if Lakewood families choose Woodrow at the same rate they choose Lakewood it would be very different. 41 seniors at Woodrow last year were white, but 205 first graders in the feeder system were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas