U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-30-2012, 08:52 AM
 
14 posts, read 19,641 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Help me out with this please!

My family will be relocating to the DFW area at the end of this year or the beginning of next. We are mainly researching the N. Dallas/W.Plano area as they are close to my husband's new office. I am doing my best to stay positive about the move, but I swear every time I tell someone about it who has lived in the area or has friends and family living there they have just rolled their eyes and expressed their sympathies. The eye roll is usually followed up with "there is nothing to do there but shop" or "the kids are all snotty and spoiled." Seriously? I really find this hard to believe. DFW is like the 5th(?) largest metropolitan area in the United States. Why all the hate?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-30-2012, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,390 posts, read 24,095,553 times
Reputation: 10536
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCougs! View Post
Help me out with this please!

My family will be relocating to the DFW area at the end of this year or the beginning of next. We are mainly researching the N. Dallas/W.Plano area as they are close to my husband's new office. I am doing my best to stay positive about the move, but I swear every time I tell someone about it who has lived in the area or has friends and family living there they have just rolled their eyes and expressed their sympathies. The eye roll is usually followed up with "there is nothing to do there but shop" or "the kids are all snotty and spoiled." Seriously? I really find this hard to believe. DFW is like the 5th(?) largest metropolitan area in the United States. Why all the hate?
Just curious, where are you moving from? That may explain part of it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2012, 08:58 AM
 
14 posts, read 19,641 times
Reputation: 11
Good point justme02 We will be moving from Portland, OR. Although several of the people I have spoken with actually lived in the North Dallas area for a good deal of time. I get being bored on a visit and feeling like there was nothing to do...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2012, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,390 posts, read 24,095,553 times
Reputation: 10536
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCougs! View Post
Good point justme02 We will be moving from Portland, OR. Although several of the people I have spoken with actually lived in the North Dallas area for a good deal of time. I get being bored on a visit and feeling like there was nothing to do...
That actually explains a lot.

Dallas (and DFW for that matter) and Portland, Oregon are polar opposites. Many people who love one city are going to hate the other and vice-versa. Where one city excels the other comes up lacking.

For example, there are tons of things to do outdoors in Portland. Down here, not as much. We do have lakes that are great for boating and fishing. There are also cycle trails and a little bit of hiking, but its nothing compared to the West Coast. If you are big on outdoor activities, you will find DFW lacking. DFW is much more car centric.

The flip side of that coin is that there are a lot more city things to do here. The resturants and shopping are much better than Portland by a long shot. There is no kind of cuisine from anywhere around the world that cant be found here. Dallas (and DFW) is also many times more diverse/multi-cultural than Portland in terms of its residents. I also like the nightlife much better here.

I do also think that there is a resentment that has built up (especially along the West Coast) because a lot of jobs out there have been sent to Texas. I dont know if thats part of why you are getting the response you are. Also, (for whatever reasons) people from outside Texas dont seem to like Texans and Texas a whole lot (sans Austin). Some of it may be deserved, but I found most of it unjustified. When I left LA and told people I was moving to Texas, I got a lot of hatred in response.

I hope that helps. Im from the West Coast and I love living here. But I also realized moving here that this isnt LA and its never going to be LA. I resigned myself to the fact that I wouldnt be visiting the beach or going to mountains without taking a plane somewhere. But again, I love living here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2012, 11:03 AM
 
13,021 posts, read 26,068,431 times
Reputation: 12764
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCougs! View Post
Help me out with this please!

My family will be relocating to the DFW area at the end of this year or the beginning of next. We are mainly researching the N. Dallas/W.Plano area as they are close to my husband's new office. I am doing my best to stay positive about the move, but I swear every time I tell someone about it who has lived in the area or has friends and family living there they have just rolled their eyes and expressed their sympathies. The eye roll is usually followed up with "there is nothing to do there but shop" or "the kids are all snotty and spoiled." Seriously? I really find this hard to believe. DFW is like the 5th(?) largest metropolitan area in the United States. Why all the hate?
There is honestly not a lot "to do" in W Plano/ N Dallas besides eat, shop, go to church/synagogue/mosque, and go to the gym/rec center. Plus, all the usual kid-centered activities.

However, within a 20-30 minute drive, there is a lot to do!
*Dallas Arts District - the largest contiguous arts district in the US is downtown. It is the home of the opera, theatre, symphony, performing arts high school, Crow Asian Art museum, Dallas Museum of Arts, Nasher Sculpture Garden & Museum, etc.
*Dallas Arboretum - a few miles NE of downtown, currently home to the Dale Chihuly exhibit of glass scuptures, but also host of a spring/summer concert series, a huge pumpkin patch in the fall, Dallas Blooms in the spring, and many horticulture events & lectures. It will also be home to a magnificent new children's area that opens in about a year or two.
*Also downtown, the Dallas World Aquarium and Perot Museum for Nature & Science.
*The Dallas Zoo (a few miles south of downtown) which has had major money dumped into it over the past few years as new exhibits have opened. No need to drive to Fort Worth anymore to see an amazing zoo.
*Pro sports of all kinds- football, basketball, baseball, ice hockey, and soccer. Plus, nearby tracks for both horce racing (Grand Prairie) and NASCAR (near Fort Worth). Plus, we've hosted the NBA All-Star Game, Super Bowl, and some NCAA tournaments over the past few years.
*Every major concert, indie concert, indie movies, traveling Broadway shows, etc all come through Dallas. Venues mostly located in & around downtown.
*The Fairgrounds host many events throughout the year from the State Fair of Texas in the Fall to a big Irish festival in the spring.

Fort Worth also has a lot to offer for a quick day trip - the world-class Kimbell Museum, the Amon Carter Museum, Billy Bob's and the Stockyards, the Fort Worth Zoo, Botanical Gardens, Japanese Tea Gardens, etc.

Additionally, while we don't have the beach/coastline or mountains, there are dozens of lakes in the area for fishing, boating, water sports, etc - and we're just a quick 2 hour flight to Colorado for skiing or to Mexico to hit the beach
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2012, 11:25 AM
 
2,206 posts, read 4,463,947 times
Reputation: 2096
I lived in Portland and went to Robert Gray and 9th grade at WWHS. Spent a lot of time at OMSI and on the rivers. Played JV soccer and football.

The big differences are:

1. It gets really hot in DFW in the summer and it lasts for several months.
2. It does not rain that much. Winters are more pleasant. You see the sun a lot. This is a big plus.
3. Bus transit sucks in DFW compared to Portland but light rail is pretty good - where it goes.
4. There is little climbing, hiking, or river sports. I used to solo a sunfish on the Willamette every weekend as a teenager. Can't do that here. Rivers are non-navigable and the lakes are jammed with boaters.
5. Culturally, DFW is much more diverse. Drop your biases at the state line.
6. There are more and better museums in the DFW area and regionally than Portland. The only exception might be OMSI, but once the new Perot science museum opens - we will. TC80s post covers the highlights.
7. Suburban schools are better in DFW. Robert Gray was and is still tough, but the suburban publics are more so.
8. Football is bigger and tougher here and soccer is a sideshow. But we do have an MLS team.
9. DFW is not bike friendly. But some suburbs are. But not as much as Portland.
10. Some things TC80 left out - both public and commercial water parks are big here, six flags is a lot of fun, and we have all the major sports teams and some minor here, unlike Portland.
11. Cost of living is far less and local government works better.

Despite 1, there are thriving sports leagues for both kids and adults in all sports.

Most of the people rolling their eyes are just grafted to the "Liberal" talking points about TX suburbs. Most would be unhappy no matter where they lived.

Last edited by TX75007; 08-30-2012 at 11:37 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2012, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Texas
5,872 posts, read 7,674,476 times
Reputation: 2968
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCougs! View Post
Help me out with this please!

My family will be relocating to the DFW area at the end of this year or the beginning of next. We are mainly researching the N. Dallas/W.Plano area as they are close to my husband's new office. I am doing my best to stay positive about the move, but I swear every time I tell someone about it who has lived in the area or has friends and family living there they have just rolled their eyes and expressed their sympathies. The eye roll is usually followed up with "there is nothing to do there but shop" or "the kids are all snotty and spoiled." Seriously? I really find this hard to believe. DFW is like the 5th(?) largest metropolitan area in the United States. Why all the hate?
There are a lot of things to do in the "Dallas" area, but there is not a plethora of things to do that are not "kid-centric". Are they spoiled and snotty?! Sure, but then that income and wealth level will be such anywhere within the continental U.S. The things to do are but a 20-45 min drive depending upon exact location for sports, outdoor activities beyond the regular mountain biking (more course specific vs. actual mountain), road biking, running/jogging, entertainment and indoor exercise/physical fitness genre shops that will more than likely be no more than 5-15 min. from your door.

I think if you come for a visit, a lot of worries will be put to rest and you'll see just how much there is to do and where it's located. DFW is a very different place even compared with Houston & Austin much less Portland. Welcome to Texas, and when you're getting close to coming let us know and we'll give you a much more detailed list of places that you'll have to check out!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2012, 12:26 PM
 
16,086 posts, read 39,310,743 times
Reputation: 6339
How far north is the office? If it's not that far you might also look at several Dallas city neighborhoods.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2012, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,390 posts, read 24,095,553 times
Reputation: 10536
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
I lived in Portland and went to Robert Gray and 9th grade at WWHS. Spent a lot of time at OMSI and on the rivers. Played JV soccer and football.

The big differences are:

1. It gets really hot in DFW in the summer and it lasts for several months.
2. It does not rain that much. Winters are more pleasant. You see the sun a lot. This is a big plus.
3. Bus transit sucks in DFW compared to Portland but light rail is pretty good - where it goes.
4. There is little climbing, hiking, or river sports. I used to solo a sunfish on the Willamette every weekend as a teenager. Can't do that here. Rivers are non-navigable and the lakes are jammed with boaters.
5. Culturally, DFW is much more diverse. Drop your biases at the state line.
6. There are more and better museums in the DFW area and regionally than Portland. The only exception might be OMSI, but once the new Perot science museum opens - we will. TC80s post covers the highlights.
7. Suburban schools are better in DFW. Robert Gray was and is still tough, but the suburban publics are more so.
8. Football is bigger and tougher here and soccer is a sideshow. But we do have an MLS team.
9. DFW is not bike friendly. But some suburbs are. But not as much as Portland.
10. Some things TC80 left out - both public and commercial water parks are big here, six flags is a lot of fun, and we have all the major sports teams and some minor here, unlike Portland.
11. Cost of living is far less and local government works better.

Despite 1, there are thriving sports leagues for both kids and adults in all sports.

Most of the people rolling their eyes are just grafted to the "Liberal" talking points about TX suburbs. Most would be unhappy no matter where they lived.
I agree with your list almost entirely. You had me until that last line.

Count me as a liberal who loves living in the suburbs (Plano to be exact). Love the lifestyle and I wouldnt trade it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2012, 01:46 PM
 
217 posts, read 341,917 times
Reputation: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
I lived in Portland and went to Robert Gray and 9th grade at WWHS. Spent a lot of time at OMSI and on the rivers. Played JV soccer and football.

The big differences are:

1. It gets really hot in DFW in the summer and it lasts for several months.
2. It does not rain that much. Winters are more pleasant. You see the sun a lot. This is a big plus.
3. Bus transit sucks in DFW compared to Portland but light rail is pretty good - where it goes.
4. There is little climbing, hiking, or river sports. I used to solo a sunfish on the Willamette every weekend as a teenager. Can't do that here. Rivers are non-navigable and the lakes are jammed with boaters.
5. Culturally, DFW is much more diverse. Drop your biases at the state line.
6. There are more and better museums in the DFW area and regionally than Portland. The only exception might be OMSI, but once the new Perot science museum opens - we will. TC80s post covers the highlights.
7. Suburban schools are better in DFW. Robert Gray was and is still tough, but the suburban publics are more so.
8. Football is bigger and tougher here and soccer is a sideshow. But we do have an MLS team.
9. DFW is not bike friendly. But some suburbs are. But not as much as Portland.
10. Some things TC80 left out - both public and commercial water parks are big here, six flags is a lot of fun, and we have all the major sports teams and some minor here, unlike Portland.
11. Cost of living is far less and local government works better.

Despite 1, there are thriving sports leagues for both kids and adults in all sports.

Most of the people rolling their eyes are just grafted to the "Liberal" talking points about TX suburbs. Most would be unhappy no matter where they lived.
My issue is with # 4.... the lakes are jammed with boats ? That is what I always hear on this message board..... in fact, many said Lake Lewisville is the most jammed and crazy. But I moved here anyway and live on the lake..... its the exact opposite, this lake is empty. Usually, I can look at on the lake, where I am seeing literally 5 square miles of lake and there might be one boat on it. Even on weekends, its so slow and there are so few boats on it. Doesn't matter what time of the year and even July 4th and memorial day weekends I would classify this lake as mostly empty.

As a guy who grew up on lakes, the busy lakes in the midwest will have literally 10x more boats on them per square mile than here. I realize, a few weekends a year a bunch of kids will hop on boats and hit the lake, but all they do is latch-up to one another in a small cove somewhere and drink..... leaving the other 100 coves on the lake alone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:41 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top