Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2012, 01:10 PM

5 posts, read 8,996 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to area from out of state. I have been trying to get a teaching job with Irving ISD. I have completed all the requirements to be granted a probationary teaching certificate, I just need to get hired. I have several years of experience working full time as a substitute in a diverse and urban school district populated by at-risk youth. All of my reference letters are glowing. Two are from administrators and three are from teachers who I subbed for on long-term assignments.

I applied for several positions with the district but was not called for any interviews. I don't believe the problem could be with my resume and cover letter as those were reviewed and approved by a teacher who has been on hiring panels.

I understand that there are a lot of certified, experienced teachers out of work in the DFW area. Is that the reason why I'm being overlooked? Because I would be new and probationary? They would rather have someone experienced?

Or might they be sticklers about a new teacher having completed a student-teaching internship? I have not done this. I thought my years of experience as a substitute would more than make up for this. But perhaps not.

Or could it be because I am new to the area and don't know anyone within the district? Is it really all about who you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 03:40 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,683,373 times
Do you speak Spanish? Irving ISD is majority Hispanic......

Old 09-05-2012, 11:50 PM

5 posts, read 8,996 times
Not fluently. Is that what is holding me back then?

Old 09-06-2012, 06:30 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,924 times
First off,don't feel inadequate.It is great that you have that experiene,I think it certainly counts for something. The problem right now that many certified teachers and probationary people like yourself are facing has alot to do with to many applicants ,too few jobs. Although teaching still has very high turnover,there is not an abundance of jobs to be had at the Elementary/ Middle school level at all, even in areas like DFW that are thriving.High School is easier to break into. It is difficult to get into Elementary/ Middle school.I do not understand the myth that Teachers will always be in demand.I do think that DFW is one of the healthiest job markets for teaching in the country.Schools are opening,not closing.Educated people with children are moving here in droves.While difficult,it does seem possible to land a teaching job if qualified.High school Math& Science are high need areas.

I have many family members who have gone into the Teaching Field.I have found that they either leave the classroom after a few years and go to Grad school for something else working with kids or leave the profession.Teaching seems like such a rewarding,yet difficult job.

I was recently talking to a retired friend who worked for Plano isd ( huge district ).Her daughter works there now.She was explaining how there are thousands of applicants every year for every few openings. People who have student taught at the school seem to get priority.The principal does the hiring and I think that attributes to the "it is about who you know" saying when it comes to teaching.I think way to many experienced teachers are overlooked by principals for fear of burn out. At my child's school very few teachers have been there for more than 2/3 years.Maybe principals feel like recent college grds are so desperate to get hired they will work extra hard and really appreciate the opportunity? Personally I would feel alot more confident with an older experienced teacher in my child's classroom of 23 plus kids than a new grad.I think that there are few older teachers in elementary because like my relative, they stay in the classroom for a few years then either get their Masters in something else education based or leave the profession all together.Turnover causes problems for the students and the districts.Good luck and check out these large districts for openings...

- Dallas
- Fort Worth
- Garland
- Arlington

Top 5 Reasons Why Teacher Turnover Is Rising

Teacher Turnover Affects All Students' Achievement, Study Indicates - Teacher Beat - Education Week

Education majors face scarce openings and stiff competition - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

TEACHING JOBS NOT AS SCARCE AS WE HAVE BEEN MADE TO THINK | SchoolSpring

Last edited by CREW747; 09-06-2012 at 07:24 AM..

Old 09-06-2012, 07:10 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,683,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze_07 View Post
Not fluently. Is that what is holding me back then?
Too few jobs v. Lots of applicants
Spanish speaking is very desirable for all inner ring burbs and Dallas schools, too

Old 06-14-2014, 02:24 AM

374 posts, read 548,747 times
If you did not score high enough on the Gallup Teacher Insight survey, your application will not even be seen by the administrators. Your application will just be in HR. Frustrating, isn't it? This happened to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas