Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2012, 07:03 PM

12 posts, read 19,801 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband and I arrived in Dallas three weeks ago, we found great house in the Melshire Estates in Dallas (Preston/Forest area) and are making arrangements to get settled in the next few weeks. Can anyone make suggestions for professionals for the following, those that either work or have offices nearby (within 5-10 miles...)our future home:

Wood Flooring
(right now getting estimate from Ashmore, really reasonable price, anyone have experience with quality?)

Painting (inside, would love an independent person that does good work at a reasonable price)

Landscaping (again, an independent person would be great too, not looking for anything too elaborate)

Handyman

Fence Repair and Installation

Dentist (looking for an HONEST, very well liked dentist)

Hair Stylist (at an mid-to-high end salon)

Primary Care Doctor

Dog Grooming

Veterinarian

Dogsitter

Cheap Dry Cleaner

Thanks, all help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 08:43 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Sent you a DM.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:56 PM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyaned View Post
Hi all,

My husband and I arrived in Dallas three weeks ago, we found great house in the Melshire Estates in Dallas (Preston/Forest area) and are making arrangements to get settled in the next few weeks. Can anyone make suggestions for professionals for the following, those that either work or have offices nearby (within 5-10 miles...)our future home:

Wood Flooring
(right now getting estimate from Ashmore, really reasonable price, anyone have experience with quality?)

Painting (inside, would love an independent person that does good work at a reasonable price)

Landscaping (again, an independent person would be great too, not looking for anything too elaborate)

Handyman

Fence Repair and Installation

Dentist (looking for an HONEST, very well liked dentist)

Hair Stylist (at an mid-to-high end salon)

Primary Care Doctor

Dog Grooming

Veterinarian

Dogsitter

Cheap Dry Cleaner

Thanks, all help is appreciated!

We live about one mile from you. I predict you will really like the area.

I can help with a few items.

1. We like North Dallas Veterinary Hospital at Forest and ~Cromwell just a bit west of Marsh.
2. There is a little dog grooming place on Inwood near the Starbucks across from Jesuit High School.
3. There is no such thing as a cheap and good dry cleaning establishment in near here. We use our old cleaners in Plano. They pick up and deliver 2x per week and it's 35% or so less than the cleaners very near, just south of, your home on Forest.
4. My wife is crazy into flowers and strange plants ergo our lawn guys are not cheap and they don't like "just mowing grass".
5. I'll send you a PM for a great hair stylist, a man, who I really like and he's just down the street.

Welcome to town.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:22 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
I have used Ben Ashmore for floors- he's a little temperamental, but his prices and quality are outstanding.

Dr Huckin is a wonderful dentist- Park Cities based @ Preston Center (Preston & Northwest Highway area, on Sherry Lane).

I swear by Osgood O'Niel for my cut & color. Dana @ their Lovers Lane & Tollroad location is amazing, and just darling, too! About $75 + tip for cut.

We are currently looking for a new vet and primary care physician, can't help you there.

If you find a cheap, good dry cleaner because they don't exist!!! (not like in NYC anyway). My dry cleaning bill is about 2X what it was when I lived in NYC.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:11 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
So far the least expensive I've found is Lakeside Cleaners at Walnut Hill and Central. They aren't cheap but they are always running coupons for 20% off. Very friendly staff.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:15 PM

764 posts, read 1,657,121 times
Vet - Dr. Ernesto Hernandez in Dallas. Animal Medical Clinic in Dallas | Animal Medical Clinic (214) 324-5221 & 11437 Shiloh Rd, Dallas, TX 75228 | <Professional Services/Animals & Pets/Veterinary Medicine> - Yahoo! US Local He's the best one we've ever had (maybe because he's an Aggie Vet). His place is next to a 7-eleven and isn't glamerous (heck it's rather run down looking), but he does exactly what a vet should do - LISTEN TO THE CLIENT. He doesn't prescribe needless tests or medications, but does give you all your options - blood work, xrays, MRIs, etc. If you want to spend thousands on your 4 yr old dog he understands. If you don't want to spend a thousand on your 16 yr old dog, he understands that too and doesn't make you feel guilty (I Hated that about previous vets.) We were use to spending $150-$200 every time we went into the vet and I was Shocked when my bills from him were $40-$70. He even sends the prescriptions (and uses generics) to our local pharmacy instead of jacking up the price. What a breath of fresh air that my dog's pain meds aren't 10x more expensive than my own).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas