Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 08:07 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,429,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
That's what it looks like to me but I'm no expert! I was born the year that Chili's opened (1975, right?) so I don't have any memory of what the 'old' building looked like; to me, it has always been what was just torn down.
They (the Chili's buildings) sure look similar to me. I'm 10 years older than you and I had to have been in the original Chili's, went with my parents all the time, but I never realized they tore one down and built another! That white building next door...it's just driving me nuts. My daughter and I were at the medical park behind it off of Rambler, and I parked right behind it. Looking at it from above (the parking lot is raised) it looks very old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 10:06 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,119,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
They (the Chili's buildings) sure look similar to me. I'm 10 years older than you and I had to have been in the original Chili's, went with my parents all the time, but I never realized they tore one down and built another! That white building next door...it's just driving me nuts. My daughter and I were at the medical park behind it off of Rambler, and I parked right behind it. Looking at it from above (the parking lot is raised) it looks very old.
Weirdly enough I go by there five days a week and never noticed it.

One thing that makes me curious is...what's with the old Kroger on Walnut Hill across from the old AIG building? I think that place closed down in the early 80s, though I do remember shopping there with my mom when I was little. I think that place has been vacant for what, about 30 years now?!?!?!?!

Old 09-16-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Weirdly enough I go by there five days a week and never noticed it.

One thing that makes me curious is...what's with the old Kroger on Walnut Hill across from the old AIG building? I think that place closed down in the early 80s, though I do remember shopping there with my mom when I was little. I think that place has been vacant for what, about 30 years now?!?!?!?!
I think it closed in the early 90s? I was living in another state but would shop there with my mother when I came to town. There has got to be a reason why nobody has opened anything there.

Also, what are they doing at the old Luby's at Central and Meadow? Lots of action there and saw a sign saying something about the construction being done by some company that deals with medical buildings.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
I think it closed in the early 90s? I was living in another state but would shop there with my mother when I came to town. There has got to be a reason why nobody has opened anything there.

Also, what are they doing at the old Luby's at Central and Meadow? Lots of action there and saw a sign saying something about the construction being done by some company that deals with medical buildings.
There was a Luby's there? I hardly ever went to Central and Meadow...people in PH tended to not shop there because the clientele at that shopping center could be a little scary sometimes.

As far as I know, that Kroger closed in the early 1980s and there hasn't been anything in that spot since, though I haven't been in Dallas non-stop since birth and there could have been a 'blink and miss it' tenant in the interim.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:04 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,031,952 times
The building immediately to the south of Chili's was built as a second location for Andrew's on McKinney (artichoke nibbles, yum - lighthouse drink - beware). It was red brick, which was painted white when Uncle Julio's took over in the early 90s I think. Behind Chili's was the Polynesian tiki-kitschy Don the Beachcomber.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
The building immediately to the south of Chili's was built as a second location for Andrew's on McKinney (artichoke nibbles, yum - lighthouse drink - beware). It was red brick, which was painted white when Uncle Julio's took over in the early 90s I think. Behind Chili's was the Polynesian tiki-kitschy Don the Beachcomber.

Ahhh, maybe it's the whitewash job that is making it look so old to me. Thanks!

Old 09-17-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
There was a Luby's there? I hardly ever went to Central and Meadow...people in PH tended to not shop there because the clientele at that shopping center could be a little scary sometimes.

As far as I know, that Kroger closed in the early 1980s and there hasn't been anything in that spot since, though I haven't been in Dallas non-stop since birth and there could have been a 'blink and miss it' tenant in the interim.

Central and Meadow can still be shady, but my favorite Tailor is there and I use the CVS often.
Luby's was there for a long time, right along the Central access road. It got a lot of PH traffic (mostly elderly couples, but also some families), also people working and visiting at Presby.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Central and Meadow can still be shady, but my favorite Tailor is there and I use the CVS often.
Luby's was there for a long time, right along the Central access road. It got a lot of PH traffic (mostly elderly couples, but also some families), also people working and visiting at Presby.
I didn't know anyone who shopped there; all of our neighbors went to the Tom Thumb at Preston and Royal (or Preston/Forest once it opened), or the Minyard's at Preston and Forest.

We kept kosher so there were a lot of restaurants we just never went to, Luby's included.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I didn't know anyone who shopped there; all of our neighbors went to the Tom Thumb at Preston and Royal (or Preston/Forest once it opened), or the Minyard's at Preston and Forest.

We kept kosher so there were a lot of restaurants we just never went to, Luby's included.
Going completely OT, I was up at Meadow Central CVS one time and there was a full out SWAT bust in the parking lot. I've never seen anything like it in my life! Regular cop cars, undercover cars, police everywhere, dozens of people laying on the ground getting busted. Must have been some big undercover drug bust.

Now that they're starting to tear down some apartments across Central, I wish they'd do something nice with that shopping center. It should be prime real estate.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Going completely OT, I was up at Meadow Central CVS one time and there was a full out SWAT bust in the parking lot. I've never seen anything like it in my life! Regular cop cars, undercover cars, police everywhere, dozens of people laying on the ground getting busted. Must have been some big undercover drug bust.

Now that they're starting to tear down some apartments across Central, I wish they'd do something nice with that shopping center. It should be prime real estate.
It should be but Dallas is notorious for having rotten, ghetto shopping centers in the middle of what is otherwise prime real estate. It's baffling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas