U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 05:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,903 times

Advertisements

Hey all -

Just wanted to send of a post here to ultimately find out what Dallas has to offer for my family and myself.

I'm just curious about the city itself since I have never been and I am a nose hair away from taking a job there. I haven't heard anything bad about it - I would just like to have some information before making the leap.

What are the good/affordable/social neighborhoods - schools ( I have 3 kids all under 10 ) - cost of living - night life - best cellular/internet/cable providers - affordable salary ranges - any mens hockey leagues - and any other great selling points you can lend to the city.

Thanks in advance,

Dan.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 07:34 AM

812 posts, read 2,057,552 times
Cobbler, the most important thing is where you will work. Commutes here can be hell on wheels. Next is school district. Good, bad, ugly.
Cost of living is decent, especially housing. Dockers cost the same here as in NYC however. No state income tax but other taxes are high (sales tax 8 1/4%, property taxes up the wazoo).
You'll find DFW to be very welcoming. It's not perfect, but pretty darn good.

the golf

Old 09-20-2012, 07:48 AM

6,952 posts, read 21,669,230 times
Great airport, lots of football and baseball....hockey is here, too. Very high standard of living for a large metro area..... Some downsides....most of the towns lack real character even though there are better burbs and better school districts, nothing really has a unique or special quality to it. Geographically, the land here just doesn't offer terrific appeal and the climate is punishing between June and late Sept. it is a pleasant place to raise a family....tremendous homogeniality in general. Those who seek charm tend to live in the White Rock Lake vicinity, M Streets, Lakewood ..... But the school situation can be awfully challenging if you want to use public schools in the "charming" areas. Exception is the Park cities where you will pay rent or home prices that match other exclusive areas in other parts of the country but the public schools are good. Many middle class families gravitate to the northeast Dallas or Northeast Fort Worth burbs for good reasons such as more house for the money, good schools, very pleasant neighborhoods with lovely large homes, green belts and parks and plenty of shops. Tradeoffs: driving in traffic (jams!) and lack of uniqueness. JMHO

Old 09-20-2012, 08:34 AM

2 posts, read 3,903 times
Squirl / ggolf - thanks for this info - I browsed the COS items that have been posted and have tried to do my fair share of self education here...as I realize this is somewhat a repeat question.

I am not sure about the name of the area but within the radius is the Baylor University Medical Center...so I am not sure where that puts commute times - taking the outlined neighborhoods into consideration.

I also would be curious what the motorcycle riding atmosphere is like out there - is my commute any different / are there designated lanes or anything that would make one mode of transport different than the other time wise? I assume sitting on a bike in the middle of the summer would leave you pretty warm sitting in traffic.

I am going to check into some of the things outlined here - and probably continue this thread with some more questions - thanks again!

Old 09-20-2012, 11:30 AM

690 posts, read 1,639,176 times
Hello,

Baylor Hospital is just East of downtown Dallas.
Dallas does have a professional Hockey league and now the cities are building
rinks for kids hockey as well.
All the amenities of the large cities are afforded here in the Dallas metro.
It just depends on your budget. Most important thing that is concerted here
is live close to the business, traffic commute, road construction, and weather
are all factors in the decision making of where to settle down.

Good Luck in your endeavors.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:25 PM

22 posts, read 47,044 times
One thing to consider is Baylor University Medical Center is on the Dart Light Rail system to thats always an option for commute, It beats sitting in traffic any day.
For people with kids going to school the school district and housing cost are the primary drivers of where you live.
Since I dont have any kids in the DISD I will let others comment about the Dallas schools.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:01 AM

2,170 posts, read 4,871,502 times
What's your budget for housing? Renting or buying? You might consider Lakewood, an older, tree-lined area near White Rock Lake north of the Baylor area. Or, if you want the burbs, you could try Richardson or Plano near the DART line and take the light rail down to Baylor. Both Richardson and Plano are well regarded for their school districts.

Overall, coming from Toronto, you'll find Dallas' cost of living lower overall, even including the high property taxes. There's no state income tax and things like gas, if you have a car, are cheaper. You also have access to two airports where you can be just about anywhere in the continental US in about 3 hours if the flatness of Dallas gets to you -- though it's not like Toronto is mountainous. There are some lakes here though nothing like the Great Lakes. And, if you're willing to drive 3-4 hours south, you can explore the Hill Country.

Summers are brutal but autumns are great, springs are nice (though they can be stormy, that's prime tornado season), and winters, by Canadian standards, are nonexistent.

As for nightlife, what exactly are you looking for? Chances are it's happening somewhere in the Metroplex.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,784 times
Hopping on this conversation, as we might also be considering a move, and also have 3 kids under 8. I was wondering about schools - I notice the cutoff for enrollment in Texas is September 1st. Here in Ontario, the cutoff is December 31st. Because of when my kids were born, they are in grade 1 & 3 here in Toronto, but would technically be in kindergarten and grade 2 in Texas. Will I be able to keep them in their current grade, even though they are younger? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas