Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2012, 01:34 AM

7 posts, read 7,719 times

Advertisements

Hi All..We are about to close a home in Quail Run, Allen. Currently we live in University park and use AT&T DSL. But they don't provide good internet service in Allen. I was wondering what is the best internet options in that subdivision? Please help me finding a good net service. Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 08:42 AM

36 posts, read 72,341 times
I too have AT&T DSL in Richardson, and I can't be down so I pay for a second service (I'm a new poster and I can't make recommendations) but it's the over the air 4g wimax solution. Both are good for a household of basic web surfing, email, perhaps youtube, but I wouldn't use either service it if I were a heavy video person - say if you were a Netflix or Hulu subscriber, or streaming some hd content. For that you'd probably want to get Cable Internet or one of those Fiber based solutions.

In all, Internet Service providers are coming down to just the major players so really there isn't much choice. All the small players who gave good, responsive support are about gone - not necessarily gone out of business, but gone, as in rubbed-out of the market. The apartments here (until their contract ended) had a central Texas based Internet Provider, who camped on AT&T's lines, when the Internet went out you were able to get U.S. based tier 2 support on the first call - try that with AT&T DSL Support! Apartment complexes can get Cable/Telco/Internet service providers who may not have a presence in the local market because they bid out service provider rights (sometimes exclusivity) for the entire property.

If you have an HOA at your new home, I've seen on one rare instance the HOA dictated what service provider you must use so that further limits your choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas