U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2012, 03:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,234 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have 2 kids (4 & 3) and want them to go though one school district from K-12. We live in the Las Colinas area and have a nice elementary school. We can stay put through elementary; however, we would move the kids to a new ISD for Middle School/High School.

Net-net, we found a home that funnels into Wilson and it's the only elementary school that is not exemplary (it is recognized.) I heard they "cleaned house" in this school and I am looking for more intel. I also noticed Coppell lost its overall Exemplary status and I am now confused about Coppell's school system.

Any thoughts from the forum would be greatly appreciated on:
1) Wilson Elementary
2) Coppell ISD losing Exemplary Status.

Much appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 04:39 PM

149 posts, read 538,859 times
We are at Wilson and can't say enough great things about it. We loved it before the so called "cleaning house" and still love it now. Administrators set the tone but it is the teachers who deal with your kids on a day to day basis and we have fabulous teachers. I was never unhappy with our previous Principal but our new Principal and V.Principal are fabulous and have lots of great ideas. I wouldn't have my kids anywhere else in the district that's how strong I feel about our school although there is no denying it might not be for everyone. If you are looking for a diverse campus with lots of cultures and not the typical "bubble" that defines some parts of Coppell you will be very happy. The school has one of the only two dual immersion programs in the district and is progressive working with our underprivleged and title populations as well as our GT kids and special needs kids. Test scores only tell part of the picture. When you look at the numbers in detail there are several factors that keep us from getting the exemplary rating but makes our campus no less "exemplary". We had many options when we moved here five years ago and were happy enough that when we moved again last year I was only willing to entertain houses in the Wilson zone.

Good luck with your decison. We felt strongly about our kids going K-12 in the same district and for us Coppell is a good fit.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:56 PM

2 posts, read 4,234 times
What a tremendous response...thank you.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:42 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,076,727 times
I'm curious about Coppell losing its exemplary status, too. It doesn't seem to really have affected what people think of the schools, on this board or in real life (it didn't deter us from moving there either), but I'd love to know if it was bureaucratic BS or a real decline.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:04 AM

329 posts, read 1,304,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
I'm curious about Coppell losing its exemplary status, too. It doesn't seem to really have affected what people think of the schools, on this board or in real life (it didn't deter us from moving there either), but I'd love to know if it was bureaucratic BS or a real decline.
Here are the requirements to be rated exemplary from the TEA website:

Exemplary

In order to receive an Exemplary rating, a school/district must meet all four of the following criteria:
  • TAKS (TM) Test Passing - At least 90 percent of all students must pass the Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (TAKS) test overall and on each of five subsections (Reading/ELA, Writing, Social Studies, Mathematics, and Science); in addition, each "subgroup" (African American, Hispanic, White, and Economically Disadvantaged) must also meet the 90 percent criterion overall and in each subsection (provided there are enough students to meet "minimum size" requirements)
  • SDAA II Test Passing - At least 90 percent of all students must pass the State-Developed Alternative Assessment II (SDAA II) test, which is required for only those students for whom the TAKS test is not an acceptable measurement (subgroup criterion does not apply)
  • Completion Rate - At least 95 percent of all students, as well as 95 percent of each subgroup listed under the TAKS test, must either have completed or are continuing their education four years after entering high school (this criterion applies to high schools and districts only)
  • Dropout Rate - No more than 0.2 percent of all students, as well as no more than 0.2 percent of each subgroup, can have dropped out of school.

Looking at the most recent TEA data for CISD, it looks like the African American and Hispanic subgroups pulled down performance at the schools rated recognized vs. exemplary. This link to CISD data might not work, if not I searched for it at the TEA website: 2011 District Accountability Data Table

Old 09-26-2012, 10:23 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,076,727 times
Wow. Because 20 African American students failed their Math TAKS and 15 failed their Science TAKS the entire district was bumped down.

What's not to love about a system that bases an entire district's rating on the failure of 35 (or less if one student failed both) students.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:32 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,351,427 times
Quote:
Wow. Because 20 African American students failed their Math TAKS and 15 failed their Science TAKS the entire district was bumped down.

What's not to love about a system that bases an entire district's rating on the failure of 35 (or less if one student failed both) students.
In nutshell that is what is wrong with the rating system. Some very good schools can get downgraded Unacceptable based on a few dropouts, a small portion not passing etc... it's flawed and why districts with big socio-economic divisions will not rate as high as more homogenous ones.

Take the TEA rating system with a grain of salt... look at all the factors of the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas