Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2007, 08:46 AM

70 posts, read 314,855 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to Wylie in a couple of months. How would you rate the schools there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 09:03 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,235,643 times
You can check the overall data on any district in TX at this website (AEIS is an overview of many criteria in the district)......Academic Excellence Indicator System

Old 10-07-2007, 06:37 PM

40 posts, read 134,103 times
I went there from K-12. They were always held with very high regards. I have heard now though (from friends that have taught there) that it has gone downhill in regards to student well being. It seems that they have a new very strict standardized uniform, and the schools are trying so hard to get the top test scores that the kids are being neglected. I know 2 people that started teaching there and have since moved to another district.

I even know some veteran teachers that are just sticking it out since they are so close to retirement.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:17 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,714,065 times
School uniform equates to downhill?

Our daughter is in 5th grade in Wylie ISD and the uniform requirement is wonderful. School isn't a fashion show and kids shouldn't be worried about getting picked on if they don't have the "in" style of shoes or jeans. Our daughter dreaded the uniform at first, but she loves it after just a few weeks. It's easier to get dressed in the morning, and there's less drama.

All schools are putting more emphasis on standardized tests... but I wouldn't say that Wylie has gone overboard. At least in the gifted and talented program they're not slowing down to concentrate on the specifics of the test, they're just reviewing the material before the test as a refresher.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:52 AM
eka

13 posts, read 51,688 times
I moved to Murphy a year ago and have two children attending a Wylie ISD elementary school. So far we are very pleased with the school. The teachers are fun and engaging and the atmosphere is very positive. We deliberately avoided the Plano ISD because we heard they were too strict and too focused on tests and homework. Wylie students perform quite well on standardized tests -- the schools are very effective at teaching the students -- but I like the district's stated emphasis on hands-on learning. Education should engage the student.

The is no standard dress code in elementary school, but I'm not opposed to it in the higher grades -- it likely enhances the learning environment.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:28 AM

40 posts, read 134,103 times
Perhaps I worded something wrong...

I am not opposed to the dress code. I think a dress code does improve learning, ease the stresses of popularity, and does not allow as many of the cliques that are typical for a teenager in a highschool.

I loved all the schools when I was there. I was there from (as stated above K-12) I went to Birmingham, Wylie Middle School, then Wylie High School (the old one for 2 years and the new one for 2) That was before there were 15-20 different schools.

I was there when there were 3 elementary schools, 1 middle school, and 1 highschool. I graduated in '98.

I still call/email my 1 of my first grade teachers, 2 third grade teachers, 1 5th grade teacher and 3-4 HS teachers. I still ask them for advice at times. I love my 1st grade teacher like a second mom...I have even gone out and had drinks with her when I was home on leave after I got back from the desert! She is 60 years old now.

What I said in my first post was / is based off of input from teachers that have or still do teach there. One of my friends that taught in WISD got so fed up with it, she quit and went to Frisco. Maybe it is just losing the home-town feel it had.

I don't know...that was all I knew.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,532 times
Default Happy in Wylie.

Hi. I moved to Wylie a year ago. My two sons go schools in Wylie. They are happy with the school and community here. If you like a safe, mid-size town, Wylie is the place. It is about 10 minutes from the Firewheel Mall and 30 minutes from everthings you need. In my opinion, the education system in WISD is B+. My sons went to the schools in Allen 2 years ago. But the Wyle school boards try to do everything to be a great ISD. Overall, I am satified with WISD. Bob.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:43 AM

6 posts, read 10,211 times
ima little late on this. but wylie highschool's dresscode is not "wonderfull" it doesnt allow us to express ourselves! i have to spend a **** load of money on polo's that i would hardly ever wear. so think about it.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:52 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,714,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Ridda View Post
ima little late on this. but wylie highschool's dresscode is not "wonderfull" it doesnt allow us to express ourselves! i have to spend a **** load of money on polo's that i would hardly ever wear. so think about it.
Last time I checked school was about learning, not about expressing ones self.

Perhaps if you focused on the educational aspect of school, you would be able to express your opinion without resorting to language which this board will censor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: