Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 10:26 PM

13 posts, read 16,222 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to the Dallas area (from Chicago) in the spring. We've been to visit once already (only for 2 days) and thought we'd do just fine, but one thing concerns me.

In a few of the posts on this forum, I've read that there is a significant anti-Mexican sentiment in the Dallas area and that people are not terribly shy about expressing it. I was also told this by my husband's co-worker, who has lived in Dallas for two years now.

Considering that I am Mexican (my husband is not), and I have a Mexican last name (which tends to precede me with things like reservations, appointments, etc), you might understand why I'd be worried about moving to a place where there is--if I choose to believe my sources--a lot of anti-Mexican sentiment.

With that said, I know that there is racism everywhere, but in Chicago I've been lucky not to have to deal with more than a handful of overt remarks and almost no inappropriate behavior. I.e. No one has ever refused to give me an appointment for a service after I've given them my last name.

I realize I'm not always going to have that luxury wherever I go, which is why I like to be prepared. So what I really want to know is if there is a strong possibility that people will behave badly toward me because I am Mexican? Offensive remarks I can deal with, but rude and exclusionary behavior is intimidating and requires different tactics. I'm up for the challenge. I just need to know what I'm getting myself into or if there's really nothing to be overly concerned about.

And to give you a sense of who we'd be running into in our daily lives in Dallas, my husband has a Ph.D. and would be relocating to work in an international company with operations in the Dallas area. I'm finishing up my Ph.D. and will be looking for academic jobs there. We are very interested in buying a home in the M Streets, Lower Greenville, or Lakewood area. We've got dogs, no kids, and are not religious.

Please understand that I'm not trying to start anything, I just want to know the honest opinions of people who really live the Dallas area and have experiences they can share that will shed some light on the things I've been reading. Your responses will help me make the transition. Thanks!

Old 10-07-2007, 10:32 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,438,492 times
You really aren't going to have a problem in Dallas, especially with Dallas moving into the Minority majority category. One the other hand if you paint your house bright pink hoist a mexican flag and march for La Raza in the street you might.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:39 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,300 times
There are Racists everywhere, Dallas has a HUGE Mexican population, I'm half Mexican (half Chinese) and yeah i experience an occasional snob, but people can't tend to treat us like trash if were so populous. Dallas is minority majority already with most population being Hispanic and African American. there is the Farmers Branch thing but thats only if you are illegal, and anyways those people in my opinion will end up hurting there own economy. Now granted I have an Asian last name but people size me up as Hispanic on a daily basis, some people size me up Asian on a daily basis...I have people talk to me in Spanish, if anything I would think that the border states are probably the most welcoming Hispanic Friendly cities. Even many conservatives (which i do tend to lean towards) don't have a problem with Hispanics. I am not very religious either. You really shouldn't have a problem, anyone to turn down a Hispanic as a customer (even if they do dislike them) would be stupid because we have such a high Hispanic population.
Hope you're happy with your choice.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:48 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,146,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seconddessert View Post
My husband and I are considering a move to the Dallas area (from Chicago) in the spring. We've been to visit once already (only for 2 days) and thought we'd do just fine, but one thing concerns me.

In a few of the posts on this forum, I've read that there is a significant anti-Mexican sentiment in the Dallas area and that people are not terribly shy about expressing it. I was also told this by my husband's co-worker, who has lived in Dallas for two years now.

Considering that I am Mexican (my husband is not), and I have a Mexican last name (which tends to precede me with things like reservations, appointments, etc), you might understand why I'd be worried about moving to a place where there is--if I choose to believe my sources--a lot of anti-Mexican sentiment.

With that said, I know that there is racism everywhere, but in Chicago I've been lucky not to have to deal with more than a handful of overt remarks and almost no inappropriate behavior. I.e. No one has ever refused to give me an appointment for a service after I've given them my last name.

I realize I'm not always going to have that luxury wherever I go, which is why I like to be prepared. So what I really want to know is if there is a strong possibility that people will behave badly toward me because I am Mexican? Offensive remarks I can deal with, but rude and exclusionary behavior is intimidating and requires different tactics. I'm up for the challenge. I just need to know what I'm getting myself into or if there's really nothing to be overly concerned about.

And to give you a sense of who we'd be running into in our daily lives in Dallas, my husband has a Ph.D. and would be relocating to work in an international company with operations in the Dallas area. I'm finishing up my Ph.D. and will be looking for academic jobs there. We are very interested in buying a home in the M Streets, Lower Greenville, or Lakewood area. We've got dogs, no kids, and are not religious.

Please understand that I'm not trying to start anything, I just want to know the honest opinions of people who really live the Dallas area and have experiences they can share that will shed some light on the things I've been reading. Your responses will help me make the transition. Thanks!
I see it as anti-illegal sentiment since a lot of people equate Mexicans with illegal immigrants. Not all illegals are Mexican, but a significant percentage are.

You may hear some things that you perceive as hostile...I'm not going to lie to you. However, you should realize that the majority of people around here seem to be fine with LEGAL immigration; it's ILLEGAL immigration that pisses them off. Texas is a huge draw for illegal immigration into the USA and there's tons of illegals around here; they are very open about it.

Also, Dallas has a significant Hispanic population already and as such there are lots of very successful Hispanic entrepreneurs, medical professionals, lawyers, executives, etc. Since I'm not Hispanic myself I couldn't really say if it's "harder" to succeed here but plenty of Hispanics have.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:59 PM

170 posts, read 847,030 times
Where in Dallas do you plan on living? That will make a big difference.

Yes, there are many racist/ anti-mexican sentiments in the D/FW area.

With that said, you have two advantages:

1. You are a woman.

2. You speak fluent English-I am assuming by reading your posts.

Those two factors will be key in you probably not experiencing any outward racism. Just be prepared to encounter hateful views directed towards Hispanics in general in most places in Dallas as many are in fact not only anti-mexican but anti-anything not American.

An example is the city of Irving. They are in the national news now as they are working with the Federal Government to arrest illegals and detain them until immigration arrives. Since that happened Irving, which is a city with a majority Hispanic population both legal and illegal, became a tough place for Hispanics to live.

American citizens of Hispanic descent are now being pulled over in the city for minor/no reason and intimidated by police even when walking along the streets. Many longtime residents of Hispanic descent are now moving away because they say the city has become unlivable.

The other suburbs and Dallas do not have such laws (yet) but the sentiments are similar. But given your advantages I stated above you shouldn't have any major problems. Just make sure you don't mind hearing and seeing racism towards other Hispanics. Many are bothered by it even if it is not happening directly to them.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:03 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,238,506 times
The problem isn't with Mexicans, it's with illegals Mexican immigrants. There is a huge population of Mexicans in Dallas. There are more Mexicans than any other minority, and soon to be more Mexicans than any other race period. Mexicans and Texans have been living side by side for so many generations, and the two cultures so interwoven that it would be impossible to seperate the two.

Most people are just sick of the let me come here and break your laws, then demand amnesty, welfare, and bilingual everything.

If someone judges you by your last name alone, they are a truly ignorant person. I would almost never expect something like that to happen, but I know it does. I assure you there won't be more problems than there would be anywhere else.

You guys sound like educated professionals, you won't be lumped in with day laborers and migrant workers.

As I said before the whole thing mostly comes down to illegals with entitlement issues. Regardless of race or nationality Dallas does not take to kindly to anyone with entitlement issues.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:06 PM

46 posts, read 202,701 times
Oh please. There are people in Dallas prejudiced against white people. Most people with 1/2 a lick of sense won't judge your based on your name. I think the group of Hispanics you are referring to as being singled out are the ones entering the country illegally, having child after child here on our healthcare, schooling them here yet never learning English theirselves. If you have your PHd and live on the M Streets chances are you will fit in just fine--even if you are polka-dotted.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worried'n'FRISCO View Post
Oh please. There are people in Dallas prejudiced against white people. the ones entering the country illegally, having child after child here on our healthcare, schooling them here yet never learning English theirselves.
Thank you for proving the point I was making in my post above.

No, no anti-hispanic sentiment in Dallas at all

Its easy to use the illegal immigration debate as the scapegoat for our prejudices but I won't allow it.

Sorry folks. I have witnessed too much hate in this area to give it such a free pass like that. Especially when the OP has such genuine concern.

Until there is a great awakening in the American South, anybody with a name other than Bob Smith or Jimmy Johnson or with skin color an inch to the right of pale will be seen as a foreigner.

Fluent English but your name is Rodriguez? You are an immigrant. I wonder if you are here legally?

Dressed nicely but you have brown skin and broken english? Illegal immigrant who is taking our jobs/women/children/perks and bringing the country down by straining our resources.

10 white people arrested over the span of 2 days for violent crimes? Shameful, but lets move on.

2 Hispanics arrested last month for crimes? See, all those immigrants do is come here, commit crimes, and make our country unsafe. Lets put on american flag t-shirts grab our binoculars and head for the Rio Grande.

I actually remember an instance about 5 months ago where a Hispanic woman-who from what I could tell was an American due to her fluent English- felt sick at a restaruant. Somebody called 911 and the police, firetrucks and ambulance came to tend to her.

Then out of nowhere these 2 middle aged men dressed in button down shirts, very obvious the corporate world types began to say something to the tune of:

"See what these Mexicans do? How much do you think all this is costing? Look at all the fire trucks and ambulances. Now we have to pay for this s*it in taxes because some damn immigrant who shouldn't be here in the first place felt light headed?"

And so on and so forth. If you are moving to the area find a neighborhood with enligtened people, yes there are many of them in D/FW. Move there and live there. You will make many friends and be fine. But don't think for one second that as you go about your day around town you won't be judged and looked at a certain way because of the way you look/ sound/ and your name.

If you can deal with it, then you will be ok. Otherwise, I would recommend another area with less prejudices towards Hispanics. Trust me, I lived in the metroplex for 26 years and only in the past 2 have people began to verbally distinguish illegal hispanics from Hispanic Americans. Before that, and to this day in their hearts, all Hispanics just crossed the river yesterday. They are not truly American

And no, I am not Hispanic. I am the son of European Immigrants. Maybe that has something to do with how much I fight for the little guy, the people who are oppressed. I have seen my mom-who is Italian- be laughed at in her face by people because of her accent. I have seen people try to talk to my dad-who is Portuguese- in Spanish and give him forms in Spanish much to his dismay. And let me point out my Dad has light skin and bright green eyes, but speaks fluent English with an accent.

Maybe others who are not that close to the immigration issue are not as sensitive to it's many factors. Its easy to say there is no bigotry in Texas when you have never witnessed your parents be on the receiving end of it.

And to further stress my point let me once again remind you that my parents are European, light skinned, my dad has green eyes and my mother has bright blue eyes. Imagine what the Latin American Hispanics have to go through when they stand out more easily.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:34 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embraer View Post

An example is the city of Irving. They are in the national news now as they are working with the Federal Government to arrest illegals and detain them until immigration arrives. Since that happened Irving, which is a city with a majority Hispanic population both legal and illegal, became a tough place for Hispanics to live.
I believe that you mean Farmers Branch, Irving hasn't quite gone into that yet, I hope not. Almost all of southern Irving is Hispanic. I live in Irving, I love it... but yeah,
You really shouldn't bump into problems unless you plan on moving into some desolate city with less then a population of 1000. Even Cities outside of them metro have a large Hispanic population.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
I believe that you mean Farmers Branch, Irving hasn't quite gone into that yet, I hope not. Almost all of southern Irving is Hispanic. I live in Irving, I love it... but yeah,
You really shouldn't bump into problems unless you plan on moving into some desolate city with less then a population of 1000. Even Cities outside of them metro have a large Hispanic population.
I forgot about Farmers Branch, thanks but unfortunantly Irving has now gone down that road as well but with much more fury:

Hispanics in Irving feeling disheartened | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | News: Local News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/DN-irvimmigration_07met.ART.North.Edition1.424c966.ht ml - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas