Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 08:55 AM

49 posts, read 218,940 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I have to make a decision to complete a natural sciences degree at UTD or SMU. (I know there are other schools in the area, but these two are the only ones that offer the degree option I want.) I hope to go to grad school after I do that, at SMU, UTD, or TAMU (distance), but I'm not sure I will. So I want to get a BS degree that will serve me well without grad school. Obviously, there is a huge price difference between UTD and SMU, even if I get a 50% scholarship to SMU.

Does the price difference make a huge difference in educational quality?

If I am seeking a job in local government in the Dallas area, will SMU be a huge help? (Let's assume my GPA at either school is above 3.75, and at either school I have done at least one relevant internship.) Do people around here respect science degrees from UTD?

Thank you for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 10:54 AM

937 posts, read 2,905,969 times
I do not think it would make a huge difference if you went to SMU vs UTD. If the costs of SMU are a huge difference then go to UTD.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:36 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,147,153 times
UTD is a great school in the sciences. I have worked gov't jobs for the past 13 years and I can tell you that they don't care where your degree is from (as long as it's not from one of those bogus online degree mills) you will be fine. When I was interviewing many of my prospective employers said "WOW UTD huh?? Great school!" I was pleasantly surprised. UTD has a great science and engineering program. It is a very good school overall. I have worked with many UTD grads in the past that are both in private and public sector. UTD is priced lower but will give you all the great access to the sciences, engineering, etc. I think you will be impressed with the quality of the professors. Most are PHDs.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:39 AM

26 posts, read 78,881 times
IMO if you want an NatSci, Math, EE, CS, or tech degree then you should go to UTD. I don't know how good SMU's corresponding programs are, but I doubt they're better than UTD even disregarding the difference in cost.

(And I see that while I've been writing this CTR36 has authoritatively beaten me to the punch!)

Also *IMO*, SMU is a "connection" school where your career path is based who you know, what fraternity/sorority you were in, etc. So if you are looking at a career in business/management/etc. then an SMU diploma "buys" you a leg up on people with similar skills/education.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:56 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
You do not have to be a Greek at SMU if you are friendly and outgoing -- you will meet people who will help and there is a vast network of alums in Dallas. Also SMU has a good placement record getting people into grad schools.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:27 PM

937 posts, read 2,905,969 times
No doubt SMU has some great connections due to the large amount of wealthy people there. But that doesn't mean you do not get a good education and that is not its only purpose. Classes are small and professors are accessible. But I do agree that in this case UTD would be the better choice considering the tuition difference.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:14 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
UTD has always had a reputation for being a very difficult school, starting back to when it did not offer freshman and sophomore level classes. (It used to be just an upper division/grad school.) I'd save your money and go to UTD.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:30 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
UTD has always had a reputation for being a very difficult school, starting back to when it did not offer freshman and sophomore level classes. (It used to be just an upper division/grad school.) I'd save your money and go to UTD.
I agree. Many execs went to UTD for grad school and it has always carried a good reputation. I do have a relative that graduated w/ their Bachelors from UTD about 4 years ago and landed a job w/ another state then came back to the Dallas area and had no problem getting a job w/ a local city.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:14 AM

49 posts, read 218,940 times
Thank you for your helpful feedback, everyone.

I'm still waiting to find out what kind of scholarship package I get from SMU, which I'm applying to because they have the exact degree I want, but it's good to know that I don't have to feel I'm missing out on something critically important if I end up going to UTD.

If any recent natural sciences graduates from UTD come across this thread and want to comment, I'm still open to your thoughts.

Thanks again!

Last edited by DallasDreamer; 10-10-2007 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 10-10-2007, 08:40 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Good Luck DD -- I know SMU is very expensive and my niece in SoCal is considering that cost/benefit delimma now. Personally, I'm very glad I went there - I have I made several close friends, have a lot of friends from organizations like The Daily Campus, The Rotunda, Delta Sigma Pi, dorms, etc.. plus a dozen from my high school class were there - so we are still 'in contact' with a lot of people. SMU is small enough that you can do such things. I know a lot of graduates who were not really friends back then, but now we are 'reunion friends' and we have a great time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas