Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 08:49 PM

9 posts, read 11,168 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the replies guys. How do you like the State Thomas area? I'm interested in the Manchester Townhomes there. But, as I've also noted, I'm considering something close to work as well. Have to decide quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 07:32 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,289,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cms808080 View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. How do you like the State Thomas area? I'm interested in the Manchester Townhomes there. But, as I've also noted, I'm considering something close to work as well. Have to decide quickly.
It's a great area! One of the most Walkable neighborhoods in the city. State Thomas is - IMO - the best residential neighborhood in Uptown. It's tucked off McKinney so it's a bit quieter and less traffic-y than all the apartments off McKinney, Cole, and in the West Village. At the same time, there's a lot in the neighborhood itself as far as restaurants, sports bars, other bars & lounges, a great little coffee shop, yoga studio, athletic fields, etc so if you're too lazy to walk the 2 blocks to McKinney you can probably find what you're looking for in the neighborhood.

There was a poster a whole ago who picked the Manchester apartments so you can use the search function and look up his threads for more info.

I would really pick Uptown if I were in your shoes. You'll probably find if a lot easier to make friends with literally tens of thousands of young professionals living in Uptown. The commute you are considering isn't a particularly stressful one because 90% of the time traffic is moving & flowing (vs inching to work in gridlock).

Old 10-12-2012, 11:52 PM

So, it looks like the Manchester Townhomes are out of the question in State Thomas area, as their lowest unit is going for 1472. Also, I've decided to try and find a place around the 1000-1100 range now.

Anywhere in uptown area that is safe for around my "new" range? Or what about Addison Cr.?

I was also told the Northend Apartments across from the AAC is priced at 1k. I'm at a loss guys and need opinions. Since I start on Oct. 29, I may end up having to do an extended stay hotel for a month while I get a feel for the area. My job will be located in Richardson.

Thanks again for everyone's replies!

Old 10-13-2012, 09:03 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,393 times
Take the extended stay, find out where you are. Uptown might have more to offer than you realize.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:25 AM

know of any "clean" "newer" extended type stays? Residence Inn in North Park Dallas is 1500 for a month, which would be fine. Any ideas?

Old 10-14-2012, 08:01 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,265,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cms808080 View Post
So, it looks like the Manchester Townhomes are out of the question in State Thomas area, as their lowest unit is going for 1472. Also, I've decided to try and find a place around the 1000-1100 range now.

Anywhere in uptown area that is safe for around my "new" range? Or what about Addison Cr.?
I'm not sure about anything around that range in Uptown but you may could find something around the West Villege are which borders Uptown

http://www.apartmentguide.com/neighb.../West-Village/

Old 10-14-2012, 10:16 PM

great, thanks... i'm coming to dallas tomorrow to drive around and sign a lease somewhere... richardson, addison cir., uptown (somewhere) or just go with an extended stay for a month

Old 10-15-2012, 01:35 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,407,747 times
For your budget, you may want to look into renting a privately owned condo and/or getting a room mate. <$1200 in uptown is going to be difficult for anywhere you would want to invite people over.
DART between Richardson and CityPlace (uptown stop to catch the trolley) has never been a problem for me but once you get into downtown between Pearl-West End, it gets increasingly precarious. I rode the Richardson-West End route daily for a year and though there were some uncomfortable moments, I rarely felt unsafe. The worst part was waiting on the platforms and experiencing 'flexible' scheduling by the trains.

The suggestion to get a month at an extended stay is a good one. Addison Cir/galleria area is within your budget but you would need to drive everywhere. Richardson is mainly established families.

Midtown at a place like the Phoenix might be a good compromise. They have 1 bedroom units within your budget, it's close to SMU hangouts as well as the popular M street/Greenville area and the DART station at Mockingbird

Last edited by jdallas; 10-15-2012 at 01:48 PM..

Old 10-15-2012, 03:28 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,289,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post

Midtown at a place like the Phoenix might be a good compromise. They have 1 bedroom units within your budget, it's close to SMU hangouts as well as the popular M street/Greenville area and the DART station at Mockingbird
Phoenix is a good suggestion, as is The Village neighborhood, which is a collection of apartment complexes located off 75 and Lovers Lane. They are MUCH more affordable than uptown (should be able to stay below your budget) and are about a 10 min cab ride to Uptown and a 15 min drive to your office. Great neighborhood with lots of amenities and young professionals.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:00 PM

Well... I'm in Dallas... Drove around (a lot) today and looked at some places. Definitely don't want to live in Richardson. It's way... to family oriented. I looked at the Bryson in Uptown by West Village. I think I can get them to come down to 1200 from 1270 on one of their studio apartments. It's not like most studios, as the bedroom is separate, it just doesn't have a door.

I'll check out the Village tomorrow. It's a bit overwhelming as to how many apartments there are.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas