Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2012, 10:03 AM

37 posts, read 88,298 times

Advertisements

Hello, is there anyone who just moved to the Dallas area from SoCal? My family and I are seriously thinking of moving out to LA - Santa Clarita to be specific? I may have a good job offer and we are just trying to get some feedback from anyone who has moved to Dallas from that area. We currently live in McKinney and just love it (people, school, etc) and are trying to see what the big differences may be? What have you missed from SoCal, etc?

I know all about the cost of housing out there being much more then it is here in Dallas. However, do you like your move or do you miss SoCal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 12:26 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,225,208 times
Your post is slightly confusing. You say you currently live in McKinney but are wanting to move to L.A. but are asking about folks who moved from L.A. to here?

Every day is different for me. I moved from Camarillo 3 years ago, so not too far from SC. It's nice to have TJ's and In n Out now. I don't like doctors office staff and a lot of doctors out here. From my experiences they seem to be more about the dollar than the care. I mean, I like some stuff out here. Oak Cliff and Deep Ellum can be fun and there are cool neighborhoods and restaurants all over.

I took a trip home about a month ago and it made me realize how much I miss CA. I know a lot of it is because all of my friends are there and I lived there my entire life. I miss being able to just escape and go drive the canyons or along PCH. I miss going to see my friends bands play in Hollywood. I miss being able to hop in the car last minute and go to Vegas or San Diego.

All that said, Dallas has given my wife and I opportunities like buying a house, career advances for her. Me, not so much... I make less now than 10 years ago because my industry and specialty isn't out here.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:40 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,614 times
Its been over ten years.

Bungle sums up some of it.

I do not miss the taxes or the ineptitude of the local and state governments or the militancy of some people.

Texas is what California was in the 60s in most respects but without the natural beauty.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:53 PM

112 posts, read 314,754 times
I have an affinity for Santa Clarita, though I have only visited there once. My husband proposed to me at mile 13 of the Santa Clarita marathon a few years ago. Nice town. (I know, no help at all... sorry... )

Old 10-11-2012, 04:03 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,225,208 times
I should mention too, that many areas of Santa Clarita are newer construction similar to McKinney/ Frisco. It is rare to find newer construction homes in much of So Cal.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:13 PM

205 posts, read 480,994 times
I grew up in the Santa Clarita area. Its grown so much from when I was a kid. There is lots of stuff to do. I moved out of CA and moved to SFL and moved to Tx 1yr ago and have had a hard time adjusting! I think Texas has great education, cheap housing but there isnt anything to do here. I personally would rather live in in Santa Clarita, your not far from the mountains, beach, disney. Theres so much to do there. They have really built up the area with new homes. However I do think it is very expensive to live there. Taxes in Ca are crazy high. From a fun factor Santa Clarita hands down but for a more economical point, I think TX is better and easier to live in.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:08 AM

217 posts, read 381,981 times
It is hard to move from Socal to Texas..... stark difference in a lot of things. You don't appreciate what you have until you don't have it is the case with many people.

Texas is fine, it really is, but if you have lived in a paradise like Socal, then its going to be a hard adjustment due to various things.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:16 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,801,803 times
To clear up the confusion, I believe the OP is looking for info on the SoCal LA-Santa Clarita area from those that have moved here from there, since they currently live in the DFW area.

DFWtoLA, you might want to post in the
Los Angeles Forum to receive the local input.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:15 AM

205 posts, read 480,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Lost View Post
It is hard to move from Socal to Texas..... stark difference in a lot of things. You don't appreciate what you have until you don't have it is the case with many people.

Texas is fine, it really is, but if you have lived in a paradise like Socal, then its going to be a hard adjustment due to various things.
I totally agree, we are in that boat now. We moved from paradise (Fort lauderdale). Now we realize it wasnt so bad. Yea its expensive and houses are small but living in a beautiful place is awesome!

Old 10-15-2012, 11:38 AM

37 posts, read 88,298 times
Thank you Moderator! I have been away for a few days. Sorry for any confusion my question may have posed.

Basically, I am interested in thoughts that people may have that have moved from from SoCal (specifically from Santa Clarita area) to the DFW area. What are your comparisons of the two, what do you miss from SoCal, why did you move, etc.

My family and I are seriously considering a move from McKinney (DFW) to Santa Clarita and looking for personal perspective from anyone who may have seen both places. Just FYI...I have the same type of question in the Los Angeles forum. People move TO SoCal for different reasons of why they move FROM SoCal!

Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: