Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 11:25 PM

56 posts, read 94,548 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to Dallas for work. I'm current located in Raleigh, NC. Here's some basic info - trying to figure out a good location for short and long term purposes.

- Likely to move in about a month.
- 29 y/o gay male with a partner
- Would like to rent for probably 6 months to get used to the area
- Will be working in North Dallas
- Want to get a feel for the price range of living in an active/lively, urban-ish area
- I have a dog that will need to move with

Any words of wisdom as to where I should look, places I should consider, etc? Thanks much!

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 11:41 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times
Exactly where in North Dallas are you working? That's a pretty big area. The most urban-ish areas of Dallas are Uptown (just north and west of downtown), Oak Lawn (west of Uptown and the heart of the traditional gayborhood), Knox-Henderson (north of Uptown), Deep Ellum (just east of downtown), North Oak Cliff (southwest of downtown), and downtown itself. I'd suggest Uptown or Oak Lawn, lots of apartments and condos to choose from, and you'd be making a reverse commute, assuming your job is farther north, either up Central Expressway or the Tollaway.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:39 AM

812 posts, read 2,183,874 times
Are you planning a trip here before you move? Do you have contacts at your new job that can advise you?

Agree with True that the urban core in N Dallas might be your best bet for lifestyle, walkability, club and restaurant scene. Reverse commute is still a commute and it can be brutal here. Just too many people here! Suggest you hook up with a realtor or rental agent to help in your search.

Good luck.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:26 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8IWON View Post
I am considering a move to Dallas for work. I'm current located in Raleigh, NC. Here's some basic info - trying to figure out a good location for short and long term purposes.

- Likely to move in about a month.
- 29 y/o gay male with a partner
- Would like to rent for probably 6 months to get used to the area
- Will be working in North Dallas
- Want to get a feel for the price range of living in an active/lively, urban-ish area
- I have a dog that will need to move with

Any words of wisdom as to where I should look, places I should consider, etc? Thanks much!

Mike
It really depends on your budget and work location. You really want to consider living close to work. Anyhow, when I think N. Dallas, I think Richardson, Parker, Frisco, and Plano. I don't know much about Plano for those with alternative live styles but we have a good friend who is gay and lives in Richardson/635 area and he seems to likes it.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:11 AM

3,983 posts, read 5,014,989 times
Come back to us and tell us where in North Dallas...traffic really is a monster, so living closer is better. If you want night life then you can drive there when you feel like it...but everyday for work, again, you'll want to live closer to your job. Right off the bat though, I was thinking of Adison. I know it is relatively central to the north Dallas area...good luck. Give us a few more details and we could help a bit better.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:14 PM

Hi all! Thanks for the follow up. To clarify, I believe my office will be near the intersection of 635/LBJ and 75/N Central Expwy. Not sure what the 'common names' are for those roads, but that's the best I can tell from the map.

Yes, I am planning on visiting first. But, no, I don't know anyone at the new workplace, so I can't rely on that to help me out.

I really appreciate the help so far - I'll do some digging on those areas and see what they have to offer. I may contact an agent as well to make things easier.

Finally, i don't know about budget yet as I don't have my offer until sometime next week, and have to resolve what I'm doing with my current home.

Any other thoughts? Thanks!

Old 10-19-2012, 11:31 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8IWON View Post
Hi all! Thanks for the follow up. To clarify, I believe my office will be near the intersection of 635/LBJ and 75/N Central Expwy. Not sure what the 'common names' are for those roads, but that's the best I can tell from the map.

Yes, I am planning on visiting first. But, no, I don't know anyone at the new workplace, so I can't rely on that to help me out.

I really appreciate the help so far - I'll do some digging on those areas and see what they have to offer. I may contact an agent as well to make things easier.

Finally, i don't know about budget yet as I don't have my offer until sometime next week, and have to resolve what I'm doing with my current home.

Any other thoughts? Thanks!
Cool. 635 and Central aren't too far north. For an urban feel you can go with Oak Lawn or Uptown areas. Are y'all into clubs and the gay scene? In that case I'd suggest Oak Lawn. If not, then there are many urban areas you could look into. I never want to assume because someone is gay, they prefer a largely gay area.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:04 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,093,497 times
You'll be working near what is called 'The High Five'. There are five flyover's that all converge at that area~just to let people know who are locals and you'll have a bit of the slang of DFW already.

The good thing about True's recommendations is that they would all be counter traffic (for the most part) to work. Depending on budget Knox-Henderson is a great area. There are also some nice townhome & 2/2 small homes that are pricey but are in nice areas. Also Richardson would be close the area that is nice, as is Addison w/ an abundance of restaurants etc., but is a more of a graduate age group type of place in general that would be outrageous to get to the high-five.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:01 PM

Awesome! Really appreciate everyone's input and help. Going to spend a little time looking into the above mentioned areas, as well as take a trip that way, and then will respond back letting everyone know our thoughts!

Mike

Old 10-22-2012, 08:46 AM

3,983 posts, read 5,014,989 times
I used to live off of the intersection of Hillcrest and Arapaho. THat was about 5-10 minutes to the intersection of LBJ & Central. There are tons of apartments over there, some old and not so great, some pretty new and very nice, and everything in between. I would suggest looking in that area as well.

The reason I say this is because DALLAS TRAFFIC SUCKS. I know folks are talking about reverse commutes but as someone also suggested, it's STILL a commute and you just never know the amount of suckage that day. You don't want to be exhausted by the time you get to work...save the "commuting" when you're relaxed and going out for fun. JMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas