Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 02:57 PM

986 posts, read 1,271,553 times

Advertisements

I can't stand missing a bargain.

But I looked it up on UHaul's website -- $4.15/gallon.

At Academy, I get 15 pounds from Blue Rhino in a 20 pound container (apparently) for $14.99.

4.25 pounds = 1 gallon

Therefore I'm paying $15 for approx 3.529 gallons of propane.

That's $4.25/gallon.
UHaul charges $4.15/gallon.
So we're talking about saving 35 cents per tank?

I'd spend more than that on gas getting out to LBJ/Garland. I think I'll just keep going to Academy to swap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 04:08 PM

551 posts, read 1,098,236 times
Depends on the price of propane which fluctuates just like gasoline. If you have a bone dry tank and fill it to 20 lbs (which is full) than that's about 4.77 gallons. Right now it's about $2.30 a gallon. So it would be about $11 to fill it. Most of the time you will have little left so you wont need a full refill, just about 4 gallons so that about $9.20.

With a swap you pay $18 and are losing anything left on the tank. Plus you only take home 15 lbs or 3.57 gallons. You're effectively paying $5.04 a gallon vs $2.30 for the convenience of swapping.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:11 PM

931 posts, read 2,134,109 times
$ 4.39 a gallon at the pump but you only pay for what you get

U-Haul Moving & Storage at L B J Frwy - Garland: Trucks for sale

Old 12-17-2012, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,844 times
Northwest Propane on Harry Hines is very good. I just got a tank refilled there today. They are very professional, and very helpful. They have everything related to propane at the shop; hoses, valves, new tanks of every size, grilling accessories, etc. They even sell a propane powered lawn mower! It was very cool looking. I want one of these so that I can help to decrease our dependence on foreign oil.

Anyway, they filled 20 lbs. of propane into my tank for $20.25. I know it was 20 lbs. because I had a bathroom scale in the back of my car and I weighed the tank before and after. They have been in business since 1946 I believe. I had heard stories that U-Haul sometimes only puts 15-17 lbs. in your tank but charges for 20 lbs. Also, I would rather have someone very experienced filling my tank, and not an 18 year old kid who just started working at U-Haul.

This is their website:

http://www.northwestpropane.com

This is an interesting place to visit. They are very friendly inside the office.

I believe that they may be changing locations next year, so call before you go.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:11 PM

297 posts, read 512,401 times
Any of your gas and welding supply stores may also refill propane. Most will swap them out but some do refills..
Now, on the issue of how much they fill it to some do not fill all the way due to weather. Here in Dallas when we have
dramatic swings in one day and they fill it early when it may be cold and the temp is going to rise 20+ degrees or more you are going to lose product anyway when it vents off which you want it to do.

One reason you might want to refill is if your tank is newer and has been inspected. Most don't charge you to test if it is out of test date if they know you have been swapping them out and realize it is a part of just doing business. When it comes to your other gases and it is a tank you own and refill they will charge you to retest.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:03 PM

36 posts, read 72,301 times
altfuelprices.com

Alternative fuel prices and fill stations for the entire US, propane, natural gas, e85, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas