Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 01:40 PM

741 posts, read 1,750,715 times

Advertisements

I read somewhere in this forum that ethanol actually reduces the vehicle mileage? Is this true?

I could not find a Gas station in Irving area so far that does not mix ethanol in the Gas.

If you are aware of any in Irving/Dallas area could you please let me know

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 02:38 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times
Unless I am mistaken, the Clean Air Standards require our gas to be mixed with ethanol to lower emissions. I know I have seen stations in Oklahoma City that sell "pure" gas.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:28 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,064,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
I read somewhere in this forum that ethanol actually reduces the vehicle mileage? Is this true?

I could not find a Gas station in Irving area so far that does not mix ethanol in the Gas.

If you are aware of any in Irving/Dallas area could you please let me know

Thanks!
Only in America.

We are required to mix ethanol with gasoline in an effort to quell a fake oil shortage. Only to drive mileage down and down a lot - as any HS chemistry student could have told them - because per volume ethanol contains 20/25% less thermal energy than gasoline. And we harvest the ethanol from feed corn mostly. So more or less everything related to food costs more too. Genius.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Unless I am mistaken, the Clean Air Standards require our gas to be mixed with ethanol to lower emissions. I know I have seen stations in Oklahoma City that sell "pure" gas.
It's a little bit than and a lot of lobbying from corn producing states.

If the Feds were at all serious about clean air they'd be pushing natural gas.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:42 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,404,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Only in America.

We are required to mix ethanol with gasoline in an effort to quell a fake oil shortage. Only to drive mileage down and down a lot - as any HS chemistry student could have told them - because per volume ethanol contains 20/25% less thermal energy than gasoline. And we harvest the ethanol from feed corn mostly. So more or less everything related to food costs more too. Genius.
I agree completely the green energy religion of some does at times ignore the laws of nature and common sense. I have family in Durant Ok and has located an Exxon dealer just north of Denison on the west side of US 75. I always fill up either coming or going to get the higher BTU content gasoline.

I wonder what the exhaust contents are better or worse than with non ethanol spiked gasoline, especially when one considers you have to run more to go the same distance on a gallon or tank full of fueld.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I agree completely the green energy religion of some does at times ignore the laws of nature and common sense. I have family in Durant Ok and has located an Exxon dealer just north of Denison on the west side of US 75. I always fill up either coming or going to get the higher BTU content gasoline.

I wonder what the exhaust contents are better or worse than with non ethanol spiked gasoline, especially when one considers you have to run more to go the same distance on a gallon or tank full of fueld.
Among the many dumb things we do ethanol in gas is one of the most dumb. I was wrong above ethanol has a full 1/3 less energy than gasoline.

To recap:
1. We've diverted much of an agricultural staple, feed corn, into our gasoline. Causing feed corn prices to increase significantly - causing food prices of all sorts to increase significantly as well. That alone renders the ethanol gas craze a dumb move.

but it gets worse-

2. Ethanol significantly damages gasoline as a fuel. Almost everyone sees a 10-20% decrease in mileage. Ethanol/gas blends cost more to produce and deliver than straight gasoline. And for a few added bonuses it damages many soft rubber/plastic parts over time, performance suffers significantly - fewer miles per tank, less responsive engine etc.

It's just unbelievably stupid.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:32 PM

348 posts, read 830,479 times
http://www.exxon.com/USA-English/GFM...soline_Map.pdf Here's a map from Exxon showing gasoline requirements. The DFW area is under strict requirements. I don't know what all those labels mean, but the red stripes seem to mean ethanol is required.

The ethanol mandate is a pay-off to corn farmers, who are already extremely paid-off, which is why we have corn flakes, corn chips, corn-fed beef, plus high-fructose corn syrup in just about everything, and now corn in gasoline. Getting people to buy more corn is government policy. The stated reason for the mandate is pollution reduction. Since ethanol is not mixed to a concentration of greater than 10%, the reduction of energy content in the fuel is not more than about 3%, but ethanol sometimes reduces fuel efficiency by much more than that. I think it has something to do with the way it burns and how the car's computer adapts to the combustion conditions. My car gets noticeably more MPGs when I get non-ethanol fuel.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:18 PM

741 posts, read 1,750,715 times
Are you aware of any Gas stations around Dallas/Irving area that has 0% ethanol in Gas

Thanks!

Old 10-21-2012, 09:29 PM

931 posts, read 2,134,404 times
I saw my gas mileage drop 12 to 15 percent. Ethanol is costing us more for gas. It takes away feed for livestock and drives prices up. Its a giant ripoff.

I can't think of anyone who is green is for ethanol its a farmers aid project from Congress. Constantly changing the mixes does not help either.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:41 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,492,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete53FR View Post
I saw my gas mileage drop 12 to 15 percent. Ethanol is costing us more for gas. It takes away feed for livestock and drives prices up. Its a giant ripoff.

I can't think of anyone who is green is for ethanol its a farmers aid project from Congress. Constantly changing the mixes does not help either.
I'm somewhat green and I agree with everyone here. It makes no sense at all. Something I don't understand, how is it that it's allowed to not use ethanol in some places and not in others?? I saw a sign at Highport Marina today (Texoma) that says their gas does not contain ethanol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas