Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2012, 10:10 AM

3 posts, read 10,634 times

Advertisements

I saw a previous post on this City-Data.com re: the Dallas blog about Jewish neighborhoods.

My family and I will be relocating to Dallas from Jacksonville, FL for my daughter's high school, Yavneh Academy in 2014. My husband will be transferring within his company to Irving.

We are searching for both a shul and an rental (1 level apartment or 1 level home) near the shul. We are modern Orthodox. The rental must be within 1 mile from the selected shul. We don't want to spend more than 1200 p/mo, if possible. PLEASE NEED ALL ADVICE.

If you have any recommendations, please let me know. THANKS AND GRATEFUL FOR ADVICE...
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 11:01 AM

690 posts, read 1,721,775 times
If it helps any, according to some of the previous forum entries state that there is a large population of jewish people living around 635 and Hillcrest. That would be North Dallas/Richardson area.
You may consider using the search command on the top page and view previous postings.
In addition, Irving/Las Colinas where your place of business would be located would be a straight commute.

Shortcoming: Road construction on 635 will be continues for the next five years.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:18 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,618,737 times
it looks like your daughter's school is located in North Dallas, near Forest and Central/75.
That is very close to the Jewish Community Center. (jcc-dallas.org). the JCC may be more than a mile from the school, but it is all very close. I would reach out to the JCC for more information.

This area will be 20-30 minutes from your husband's job, depending on what part of Irving he is in.

Good luck with your move.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:28 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,083,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dididvora View Post
I saw a previous post on this City-Data.com re: the Dallas blog about Jewish neighborhoods.

My family and I will be relocating to Dallas from Jacksonville, FL for my daughter's high school, Yavneh Academy in 2014. My husband will be transferring within his company to Irving.

We are searching for both a shul and an rental (1 level apartment or 1 level home) near the shul. We are modern Orthodox. The rental must be within 1 mile from the selected shul. We don't want to spend more than 1200 p/mo, if possible. PLEASE NEED ALL ADVICE.

If you have any recommendations, please let me know. THANKS AND GRATEFUL FOR ADVICE...
I was raised Conservative, not Orthodox, so I don't know of any modern Orthodox shuls other than Shaare Tefilla, which unfortunately is in a wealthy area so the odds of finding a rental in your price range are not great. You definitely won't find a house for that.

Personally I would reach out to Shaare Tefilla if I were you; they may have resources that we do not here. Best of luck.

http://www.shaaretefilla.org/

Old 10-22-2012, 12:05 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,413,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I was raised Conservative, not Orthodox, so I don't know of any modern Orthodox shuls other than Shaare Tefilla, which unfortunately is in a wealthy area so the odds of finding a rental in your price range are not great. You definitely won't find a house for that.

Personally I would reach out to Shaare Tefilla if I were you; they may have resources that we do not here. Best of luck.

http://www.shaaretefilla.org/
This. I'm assuming you (the OP) walk ro Shabbat services, thus needing to be within one mile. There is another smaller congregation in the same area but it's not all Modern Orthodox, more of a mix. There is an Eruv (I believe that's the word) for that area. I don't know if Modern follows the Eruv rules or not, there are many traditional Orthodox in Dallas, as well. Shaare Tefilla and Yavneh are very close. You might contact both Yavneh and Shaare Tefilla for some info on housing. The Jewish community in that area is very tight and I bet they'd have some good suggestions. For what it's worth, it's a very pretty area. Good luck!

Old 10-22-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
This. I'm assuming you (the OP) walk ro Shabbat services, thus needing to be within one mile. There is another smaller congregation in the same area but it's not all Modern Orthodox, more of a mix. There is an Eruv (I believe that's the word) for that area. I don't know if Modern follows the Eruv rules or not, there are many traditional Orthodox in Dallas, as well. Shaare Tefilla and Yavneh are very close. You might contact both Yavneh and Shaare Tefilla for some info on housing. The Jewish community in that area is very tight and I bet they'd have some good suggestions. For what it's worth, it's a very pretty area. Good luck!
Shaare Tefilla is definitely not the only shul in that area but it's the biggest. There are some small congregations that meet in houses in Melshire Estates, but most of the Orthodox families there go to Shaare Tefilla. The eruv in north Dallas covers mainly Melshire Estates but I think some of it crosses Preston Road.

There is also an eruv in far north Dallas; I think the main Orthodox shul up there is Toras Chaim, near Hillcrest and Frankford. You may have more luck finding something in your price range up there.

Congregation Toras Chaim of Dallas: About Us | Congregation Toras Chaim

Old 10-22-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Shaare Tefilla is definitely not the only shul in that area but it's the biggest. There are some small congregations that meet in houses in Melshire Estates, but most of the Orthodox families there go to Shaare Tefilla. The eruv in north Dallas covers mainly Melshire Estates but I think some of it crosses Preston Road.

There is also an eruv in far north Dallas; I think the main Orthodox shul up there is Toras Chaim, near Hillcrest and Frankford. You may have more luck finding something in your price range up there.

Congregation Toras Chaim of Dallas: About Us | Congregation Toras Chaim
Yes, I'm aware of that eruv as well, but it puts them too far from Yavneh. Are the small congregations in Melshire part of DATA? I can't think of anything affordable in that area, but it would put them closer to Yavneh.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Yes, I'm aware of that eruv as well, but it puts them too far from Yavneh. Are the small congregations in Melshire part of DATA? I can't think of anything affordable in that area, but it would put them closer to Yavneh.
They'd be driving their daughter to Yavneh. Orthodox Jewish people only don't drive on the Sabbath, and kids are not in school on those days.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:36 PM

The eruv Congregation Shaare Tefilla, Dallas, TX | About Us > Our Neighborhood. OT, I'm always looking for it when I'm in that area because I think it's such an interesting concept.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
They'd be driving their daughter to Yavneh. Orthodox Jewish people only don't drive on the Sabbath, and kids are not in school on those days.
True.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: