Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 11:14 AM

37 posts, read 76,485 times

Advertisements

I am SO confused. I seems like everywhere I look, "new Preston Hollow" has different boundaries. So, what are the real boundaries of new Preston Hollow? What are the boundaries of North Texas? What is the area called, west of Midway and/or west of Marsh? What areas around here are safe/unsafe, or undesirable?
Need (at a minimum) a nice, middle class area, near St. Monica /St Rita: 3 br (prefer 4) house, fenced yard, SAFE, under 2K/mo rent. Is that possible? I have found a few, but as I have not yet visited, I am not familiar with the feel and safety of the areas. Where, location wise, should I focus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 11:22 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
"North Texas" goes up to Oklahoma.

Boundaries are what people want to make of them. There is no "legal" description that says "Preston Hollow" for most of the Preston Hollow area. Different legal names are used, but over time, people have considered the "area" around the initial subdivision the term.

When you say West of Midway or West of Marsh, what's the perpendicular street you're concerned about? Midway and Marsh go through Farmers Branch, Carrollton, Far North Dallas, and into Plano...

I think you're too concerned about the terms as opposed to just finding a place in an area. Get with a leasing agent and they can help you out.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:39 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newTX View Post
I am SO confused. I seems like everywhere I look, "new Preston Hollow" has different boundaries. So, what are the real boundaries of new Preston Hollow? What are the boundaries of North Texas? What is the area called, west of Midway and/or west of Marsh? What areas around here are safe/unsafe, or undesirable?
Need (at a minimum) a nice, middle class area, near St. Monica /St Rita: 3 br (prefer 4) house, fenced yard, SAFE, under 2K/mo rent. Is that possible? I have found a few, but as I have not yet visited, I am not familiar with the feel and safety of the areas. Where, location wise, should I focus?
There is no such thing as 'new Preston Hollow.' There are various existing neighborhoods that realtors call 'new Preston Hollow' to attract buyers.

There's no 'official' boundary, but the most widely accepted definition of PH seems to be NW Hwy to the south, Royal Lane to the north, Hillcrest Road to the east, and DNT/Inwood to the west.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:49 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
Quote:
I would try to stay for sure east of Webbs Chapel (west has taken a turn for the worst), east of Marsh would be better but not sure if there is anything under 2K. There isn't a new PH, just a realtor term. What have you found? With an address there are some posters here who could tell you yay or nay.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
"North Texas" goes up to Oklahoma.

Boundaries are what people want to make of them. There is no "legal" description that says "Preston Hollow" for most of the Preston Hollow area. Different legal names are used, but over time, people have considered the "area" around the initial subdivision the term.

When you say West of Midway or West of Marsh, what's the perpendicular street you're concerned about? Midway and Marsh go through Farmers Branch, Carrollton, Far North Dallas, and into Plano...

I think you're too concerned about the terms as opposed to just finding a place in an area. Get with a leasing agent and they can help you out.
OP said near St. Rita or St. Monica.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:58 AM

19,786 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Preston Hollow, Dallas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think "Preston Hollow" is difficult to define for number of reasons. Much of the proposed town of Preston Hollow was west of Inwood and very little of the proposed town would have bordered Hillcrest to the east (I'm not sure Hillcrest per se existed then). Making things worse the folks who proposed Preston Hollow as a town had plans to add a number of surrounding neighborhoods over time.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:04 PM

37 posts, read 76,485 times
Sorry, I guess I was expecting mindreaders! LOL, I should provide more info. On the maps I have seen, north of LBJ, is considered Far North Dallas/Richardson/Farmers Branch, etc. While, possibly open to those areas, I am for now, focusing on south of LBJ.
From my research, if I am going to send my children to Catholic elementary schools, there is probably no use in me paying the premium to live in the Park Cities. I am looking to rent for at least 2 years, so that I can better get to know Dallas.
I say "new" Preston Hollow, only because I understand that the original PH was limited to only a small area, something like Walnut/Marsh/NW Hwy/ Preston. There is not much rental property in that small area, and none of it is within my budget. So, wanted to avoid that debate, which I have seen several times on here, LOL!
So, if I am looking at a map, using 35E as my western boundary, LBJ as my northern boundary, NW Hwy as my southern boundary, and 75 to the east. Within that area, what is safe/not safe, etc? Which areas should I focus in on, and which areas to avoid?

Old 10-22-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Preston Hollow, Dallas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think "Preston Hollow" is difficult to define for number of reasons. Much of the proposed town of Preston Hollow was west of Inwood and very little of the proposed town would have bordered Hillcrest to the east (I'm not sure Hillcrest per se existed then). Making things worse the folks who proposed Preston Hollow as a town had plans to add a number of surrounding neighborhoods over time.
It is complicated, that's for sure. They call the neighborhood I grew up in (Forest and Inwood) PH now but when I was growing up it was just North Dallas. If you tell someone you live in North Dallas now, they assume anything from Far North Dallas to Frisco. I say "PH area" now to avoid confusion.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:17 PM

19,786 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Sorry, I guess I was expecting mindreaders! LOL, I should provide more info. On the maps I have seen, north of LBJ, is considered Far North Dallas/Richardson/Farmers Branch, etc. While, possibly open to those areas, I am for now, focusing on south of LBJ.
From my research, if I am going to send my children to Catholic elementary schools, there is probably no use in me paying the premium to live in the Park Cities. I am looking to rent for at least 2 years, so that I can better get to know Dallas.
I say "new" Preston Hollow, only because I understand that the original PH was limited to only a small area, something like Walnut/Marsh/NW Hwy/ Preston. There is not much rental property in that small area, and none of it is within my budget. So, wanted to avoid that debate, which I have seen several times on here, LOL!
So, if I am looking at a map, using 35E as my western boundary, LBJ as my northern boundary, NW Hwy as my southern boundary, and 75 to the east. Within that area, what is safe/not safe, etc? Which areas should I focus in on, and which areas to avoid?
I live in that area and my kids attend/have attended Catholic schools.

1. The areas along and east of I35 but west of Webb Chapel are spotty with some neighborhoods being crappy, some decent and some quite nice.
2. It's tough to find any rental homes within the nicer parts of the rectangle you mentioned.
3. From along The Tollway ranging just east you might find some nice older homes for rent. Also just north and west of Preston Forest Village Shopping Center.
4. I focus on the area boxed in by Forest, Midway, Walnut Hill and Marsh. Some homes just west of that area would be fine too.

Best of luck.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:29 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
You want to stay east of Webb Chapel, for sure. If you're south of Walnut Hill, definitely stay east of Marsh (and preferably east of Lakemont Drive (Midway Hollow neighborhood gets a little "block by block" west of Lakemont).

You are looking for neighborhoods called Sparkman Club Estates, Disney Streets, Midway Hollow, Melshire Estates, etc to keep you an easy drive to those schools (west of Preston and east of Marsh/ Webb Chapel).

You're probably going to need to be VERY flexible with the range of properties you look at to stay within $2k rent for a house. That is definitely on the low side for this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas