Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 09:53 AM

87 posts, read 135,402 times

Advertisements

They just got approval for 8th high school for Frisco and anticipating two more. It's nuts. Quantity over quality issue is keeping them down. It is already hell driving there in mornings as there are multiple 20 mph school zones in everyone's path. There are almost 60 schools.

Last edited by Mulching; 03-05-2013 at 10:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 08:08 PM

953 posts, read 1,829,815 times
it seems that this thread was created just for some regular Frisco-haters to come here and comment ... It is not as bad as some posters make it look. Frisco is changing rapidly. OP just visit all areas well, talk to parents and figure out what works for you. Nothing beats Coppell school district and location. I actually put Plano far behind Coppell in that regard... Get a 15 year old nice house in Coppell and call it a day. If you want new, I hope you have $600k+ unless you buy a rowhouse in Coppell at Main St.. made by Darling Homes.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulching View Post
They just got approval for 8th high school for Frisco and anticipating two more. It's nuts. Quantity over quality issue is keeping them down. It is already hell driving there in mornings as there are multiple 20 mph school zones in everyone's path. There are almost 60 schools.
How can you not maintain quality with small class size approach to high schools? I dont think they are mutually exclusive...

Old 03-09-2013, 10:01 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sree5 View Post
I need some help deciding which would be a good ISD for my child. Planning to buy a house, but not sure of the LOCATION. I dont think commute is my preference altough commute to DFW airport is imp b'coz my husband keeps travelling every week.

Having a hard time to decide between how well are the frisco schools rated ( keeping in mind the middle and high schools) when compared to coppell schools. But the value for your bucks is in Frisco, which is a fairly new town with good neighborhoods, more happening places, and decent size homes. As far as schools are concerned, Iam not sure of their exemplary rating (considering SAT's, TAKS, and other merit scholarships). So how imp is a school district in a kid's path to future with good middle and high schools, experienced teachers, good overall scores, IB League, acedemics and electives, and other cultural activities.

It all begins in the middle school, when the students carve their path for the future careers. In that regards, i feel i'am partly inclined towards coppell schools, but bang for the buck is in Frisco ( which my husband is inclined to)
I do respect other's opinions and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
If you will have kids in middle school and or High school in the near future who are very bright or gifted,I would consider Coppell and Frisco both. Frisco will be changing in coming years (my guess,for the better).If you could get all your needs met in Coppell as far as housing,lifestyle and location do Coppell,if not consider Frisco.If it were between Highland Park with all needs met vs Frisco then Highland Park. Coppell vs Frisco,I would still have Frisco in the mix.If you will not have children in Middle school or High School for a long time,I would probably choose Frisco.

Like Frisco ISD,there is no guarantee Coppell ISD will not see some changes in the near future....

Dallas/North Lake: Cypress Waters Development

//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...at-effect.html

Our price range was under $500,000 with young children who are years off from middle/high school.We went with Prosper

Old 04-25-2015, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,859 times
Hi - our family (3 kiddos, 5, 8, 10) is moving from San Diego to Dallas in June, employer is in Plano. I've been reading all the threads and doing my school research. With all that - I'm still not clear on why Frisco schools are considered to be weaker than Plano and Coppell. Sites like GreatSchools and SchoolDigger give high marks, state test scores seem to be on par and smaller classrooms SEEM to make good sense. I've read that it's the competitive nature of the populations of Coppell and Plano that make a difference, but judging from the home prices in Frisco I'm assuming driven, successful parents live there as well.

Is there a difference in teaching methodology? Materials? Classes offered? Teacher experience/education?

thanks!

Old 04-25-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal-TX View Post
Hi - our family (3 kiddos, 5, 8, 10) is moving from San Diego to Dallas in June, employer is in Plano. I've been reading all the threads and doing my school research. With all that - I'm still not clear on why Frisco schools are considered to be weaker than Plano and Coppell. Sites like GreatSchools and SchoolDigger give high marks, state test scores seem to be on par and smaller classrooms SEEM to make good sense. I've read that it's the competitive nature of the populations of Coppell and Plano that make a difference, but judging from the home prices in Frisco I'm assuming driven, successful parents live there as well.

Is there a difference in teaching methodology? Materials? Classes offered? Teacher experience/education?

thanks!
Short answer: Frisco is a hot shot startup while Plano and Coppell are matured successfull. You pick what you want!

Old 04-25-2015, 09:27 PM

144 posts, read 207,512 times
Frisco doesn't have an impressive performance record yet and it is evolving, expanding, rezonning and adding a kid per minute and a school per semester so pendulum can go either way or just keep hanging in the middle. Only time can tell but there is plenty of affordable new construction which has its charm without a doubt.

Coppell and Plano are college prepatories with consistent stellar performance. Their location and schools keep attracting educated families and businesses. Selling or leasing out properties is very easy because they are mostly builtout and demand is high as you aren't competing against builders.

All three school districts are way above national average but none is perfect and flawless. It is a matter of personal preference.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:58 PM

786 posts, read 1,221,630 times
Quote:

thanks!
Coppell & Plano are the "known"
Quantities. The issue is Frisco ISD is establishing a model with more schools, whereas Plano has three Senior highs and Coppell has 1. That being said, it's harder to maintain consistency when things are in constant state of flux, boundaries are being redrawn etc. You have more
Of a transient population due to this and not the same established pattern present ok PISD and CISD. Not to say the pupation a as whole isn't affluent, but its a different situation than established, built-out districts that have their formula
For success down to a science, also, with larger schools
Comes more courses and opportunities.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:01 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,050,613 times
Quote:

thanks!
For me it boils down to SAT and ACT scores. The lowest scoring Plano school, Plano East, outscores the highest scoring Frisco school. Plano West outperforms the top Frisco school by 100 points.

Dallas, Texas Area School Information: 2013-2014 SAT Scores for Dallas-Fort Worth Schools

Old 04-26-2015, 07:30 PM

504 posts, read 800,571 times
Quote:

thanks!
There is a lot of biase on this forum against Frisco. I have lived in Coppell for 2 years before moving to Frisco and find Frisco schools to be better than Coppell. Like you noticed there are tons and tons of sites that put Frisco schools ahead of Plano and Coppel but dare you say it on this forum and people will come out swinging. In reality the difference is negligible. They are all very good school districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas