U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-27-2015, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Frisco
63 posts, read 125,480 times
Reputation: 54

Advertisements

SoCal-TX: welcome to Dallas!

When choosing where to live and evaluating the school districts in the metroplex,
any motivated child is going to do well in any these ISDs (academically speaking). The
question is where would your child/children be happiest?

While the SAT test numbers for Plano ISD is impressive, what about the experience of going
to school there? With a graduating class of over 1000 students, it does make it harder to
reach the top 10% ranking or to make a varsity sport. Whether that is a good or bad thing
depends on your perspective and a realistic assessment of what motivates your child.

I went to a large public high school with a graduating class of over 1000 students and
preferred the 4A class size of Frisco ISD for my children. The con is that you should
expect rezoning to come up unless you are certain your neighborhood will not be rezoned.

A few other things.
1. Many of the top students attend college prep classes as a supplement to their public school
education. The SAT results of these top students is not solely a result of an ISD's
excellence but also in many cases the additional prep work that they pay for.

2. Allen ISD and Plano ISD have an IB program that Frisco ISD and other districts do not.
That might be a deciding factor on what district to choose.

3. Test scores are not the sole factor on college admissions. Grades/class rank and outside interests/
leadership are critical as well. Make sure your child is challenging themselves and taking
AP and not on level classes if they want to get in a more selective college.

Good luck to you and your family!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-27-2015, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Southlake. Don't judge me.
2,885 posts, read 4,405,538 times
Reputation: 3771
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
Can you provide the source of that data? It seems like a personal blog that anyone can type up


Can you provide source of data please?
The Texas Education Agency (TEA), Texas Academic Performance Reports

You can go into there and bring up the numbers for any school. I believe there is also a functionality to download data into Excel (I know there used to be).

The blog referenced has historically been accurate, with the data posted matching the TEA data, so I assume whoever runs the blog pulls the data and then organizes it into the various lists.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Southlake. Don't judge me.
2,885 posts, read 4,405,538 times
Reputation: 3771
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoTex View Post
SoCal-TX: welcome to Dallas!

When choosing where to live and evaluating the school districts in the metroplex,
any motivated child is going to do well in any these ISDs (academically speaking). The
question is where would your child/children be happiest?
I completely agree with this.

While the SAT test numbers for Plano ISD is impressive, what about the experience of going
to school there? With a graduating class of over 1000 students, it does make it harder to
reach the top 10% ranking[/quote]

NO!!! NO IT DOESN'T!!! AARRGHHH!!!

Top 10% means "TOP 10%"!!! That means you have to do better than, well, 9 out of 10 kids at the school, WHETHER IT HAS 10 KIDS or 10 MILLION!!!

If anything, a SMALLER school might make it more difficult, because, say if it was a really small (25 student) class, you might be graduating that one year that 2 REALLY smart siblings happen to be in your graduating class.

Anyway, 10% is 10%. The "size of the class" matters NOT! Sorry, but this drives me bats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoTex View Post
or to make a varsity sport.
Now THIS is true (assuming the team size is the same, and my understanding is that this is generally the case). And the rest of your post is spot on. I would note that a larger school often offers additional extracurriculars (clubs and maybe some "specialty" classes") that a smaller school may not, but that is the sort of thing anyone moving should research and is not always the case.

Some kids function better in larger campuses, others in smaller. There are tons of variables.

Frisco catches flack here because of the numerous Plano/Frisco comparisons and the fact that it seems to be touted as a top notch district (as in, top 5 or so) when the metrics do not bear that out, but it's still very good compared to most of DFW.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 11:24 AM
 
3,478 posts, read 6,167,924 times
Reputation: 3237
That is the one thing that sucks about the large schools...unless you have been in the sport/activity for YEARS and played club, you have a snowflake's chance in hell of making varsity. All the varsity swimmers at my HS were on the club team (so their schedule was 5-7 am club practice and 3-4:30 pm varsity practice EVERY DAMN DAY). It was an unspoken requirement that my sister be playing club volleyball to make varsity this year. And whaddya know, the varsity coach was also the club coach. In this aspect HS sports are unreal.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Frisco
63 posts, read 125,480 times
Reputation: 54
synchronicity: i get the 10% thing you are talking about. thanks for clarifying.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 12:42 PM
 
16,162 posts, read 14,671,363 times
Reputation: 14590
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
That is the one thing that sucks about the large schools...unless you have been in the sport/activity for YEARS and played club, you have a snowflake's chance in hell of making varsity. All the varsity swimmers at my HS were on the club team (so their schedule was 5-7 am club practice and 3-4:30 pm varsity practice EVERY DAMN DAY). It was an unspoken requirement that my sister be playing club volleyball to make varsity this year. And whaddya know, the varsity coach was also the club coach. In this aspect HS sports are unreal.

Your point is a good one, however, I think somehow you have some bad information. It's a UIL (NTR Volleyball too most likely) rule that HS kids cannot play for the same HS and club coach during any year. Generally club teams practice 2x per week with extras thrown in around tournaments and nationals. Club and HS seasons don't overlap unless a HS team goes deep into the playoffs or unless a club teams goes to nationals.

Girls volleyball in particular is so competitive around here.......virtually every kid on any of the top say 25/30 high schools plays club and HS.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 02:43 PM
 
13,110 posts, read 26,459,184 times
Reputation: 12978
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
Can you provide the source of that data? It seems like a personal blog that anyone can type up


Can you provide source of data please?
I pulled the stats from the blog EDS linked above. The person who runs the blog is reputable and sources the data from the TEA website....which is awesome because the TEA website is a PITA to navigate!! Some of the posts are also sourced from the DMN.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 03:47 PM
 
3,478 posts, read 6,167,924 times
Reputation: 3237
Quote:
Your point is a good one, however, I think somehow you have some bad information. It's a UIL (NTR Volleyball too most likely) rule that HS kids cannot play for the same HS and club coach during any year. Generally club teams practice 2x per week with extras thrown in around tournaments and nationals. Club and HS seasons don't overlap unless a HS team goes deep into the playoffs or unless a club teams goes to nationals.

Girls volleyball in particular is so competitive around here.......virtually every kid on any of the top say 25/30 high schools plays club and HS.
They were definitely different seasons, but I'm pretty sure the HS coach was involved in the club team. I'll have to ask. Either that, or she was "unofficially" required to play for X club team (to the tune of thousands) to be "ready" to make varsity.

Now swimming...I know for a fact that the varsity swimmers were swimming both club (year round) and varsity at the same time. The HS coaches often coached for the club team, but not at the varsity level--usually for the elementary/middle school club level. Granted, it has been almost 10 years so maybe things have changed, but that's they way it was.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 02:47 PM
 
64 posts, read 80,378 times
Reputation: 34
Sree, Something to think about is if you will be able to drop your children to school, or if you prefer that they walk themselves.

Frisco has a LOT of schools with more being built every year. Frisco's philosophy (as others in this forum have pointed out) seems to favor smaller sized but numerous schools. One advantage of that approach is that it makes it more likely that your child's school is just a short walk away from where you live, So you won't have to always drop your child off to school yourself.

Frisco is different from many burbs in offering this convenience. I don't know about Coppell and if you are likely to have the same convenience there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2015, 12:40 PM
 
40 posts, read 41,684 times
Reputation: 15
Smile Frisco Vs Plano HS reputation?

Hello City Data people,
I have a question. Do out of Colleges get impressed if a student is from a highly Competitive Plano High School than he/she is from Frisco ISD? How about a fairly competitive high school like Liberty High?
If the student has good scores, would the Colleges choose a student from Plano West over Liberty HS in Frisco just because the student who attended Plano West is better prepared and has gone through more competition or they just look at Test Scores? I know, extra curricular achievements count but keeping that point separate I am just trying to understand how much a High School's reputation 'helps' or 'hurts' a student.
Is this a reason why we are not seeing many Frisco High School graduates attending out of State prestigious Universities like Plano High School graduates?

Thanks in advance for all your responses.

Last edited by mila01; 09-18-2015 at 12:50 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top