U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 01:31 PM

7,886 posts, read 11,034,044 times

Advertisements

I agree putting a new pool in will cost much more than you will get back in home price when you sale later, however, I believe in a higher end price range you will sell the home much faster with all other things being equal of course. I like having a pool even with no kids and not using it a lot. My house has many rooms over-looking the pool and the view is awesome and makes me "feel" cooler in summer time to look at it. We also have a nice outdoor eating/living area that we enjoy several months of the year....we enjoy having the pool view with it as well.

I bought my home with a pool which value wise is the ideal way to go.....to put one in with the capital loss would make it a tougher decision.. Is adding a pool later a function of how accessible the yard is to the equipment or more complicated than that with the equipment and pool lines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 01:54 PM

4,206 posts, read 15,001,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
So what is the monthly maintenance cost over time? Including repairs, etc?
Less than $100 monthly and as far as maintenance, over the last 9 years, only had one issue and the home warranty covered it. We only paid $75 for the service call.

Naima

Old 10-26-2012, 02:06 PM

40,617 posts, read 47,671,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
Less than $100 monthly and as far as maintenance, over the last 9 years, only had one issue and the home warranty covered it.
I used to figure about $100 a month but a few years ago started using $150 a month by the time you include electricity. Some of that depends on if you have a spa, heater, automatic controls, etc.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:28 PM

36,927 posts, read 58,180,177 times
and the pool pump does have to run in winter too, doesn't it--same with using chemicals although not as often/much--
so the monthly maintenance is x12--not just the 6 or so months you can use a pool...
now if you are willing to heat your spa you can use it year round...

Old 10-26-2012, 02:43 PM

16,227 posts, read 24,617,056 times
I would love to have my own pool. I can fully see myself swimming early am's...sitting w/ coffee. OR swimming and enjoying late nights by firelight. It is certainly up to the individual...but there has got to be something said for having your quiet time, relaxing and enjoying or sharing your pool w/ friends and family...rather than strangers. Strangers whose children are running around, peeing in the pool, or worse...

Old 10-26-2012, 02:56 PM

4,206 posts, read 15,001,072 times
If Carillon is the place you're considering, check on 2 things with the builder and HOA that will really pay for themselves quickly.

Can you install a well on your property? You would be able to use the well water for the pool and sprinkler. City won't allow you to connect it to the house.

Can you install an underground propane for heating the pool?

We did the 2 above things in a previous home when we lived in Southlake. The well was 187ft deep and we paid $2500 today that same well will cost 8K. I know cuz just helped a customer put one in. You also wouldn't be affected by the city restrictions of watering your lawn during drought season.

The cost of filling the propane was $130 and we only filled it about twice a year. So for a 40,000 gallon pool that was an excellent investment.

Naima

Old 10-26-2012, 06:40 PM

7,886 posts, read 11,034,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
and the pool pump does have to run in winter too, doesn't it--same with using chemicals although not as often/much--
so the monthly maintenance is x12--not just the 6 or so months you can use a pool...
now if you are willing to heat your spa you can use it year round...
I agree it is year around cost, I believe mine runs me around $200 per month without major repairs or replacements. That allows for electricity as well as chemicals and periodic small maintenance items annually or so

Old 10-26-2012, 08:39 PM

186 posts, read 436,710 times
Pool is a luxury item same as lets say air conditioning, its much cheaper to use wall units instead of central system but people who can afford enjoy the convenience. You can live with artificial grass and save money on landscape care but its just not the same. You can use community pool or city pool but its not like having your own 24/7 private pool in your backyard. One thing is for sure that its cheaper and convenient to buy a house with pre existing pool than to get your own pool installed but of course people invest in new pools all the time if they can afford.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:25 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,488,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
60K is a lot of dough man...
Agreed...but from what I understand, he's pretty spot on about the price

Old 10-27-2012, 05:55 AM

40,617 posts, read 47,671,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
Agreed...but from what I understand, he's pretty spot on about the price
I've seen people put easily $50-250K into a backyard. Building a pool in some of the clay soil areas of DFW can cost an extra 50% due to the preparation of the soil, piers, extra work to it's foundation, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas