Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 08:12 PM

19 posts, read 26,677 times

Advertisements

I have a possible job opportunity in Dallas,TX (no specific area as it will be primarily working from home and flying). I am currently living in Northern California (Berkeley) and will be transferring with my current company. I am looking for advice on what areas of Dallas are lgbt friendly with plenty of restaurants, coffeeshops etc. within a short distance. I have read from other threads that Oak Lawn is a diverse and hip community that would accomodate a young professional gay couple.

Any other areas I should consider? I have visited Austin and really enjoyed the vibe there, so if I can find something like that in Dallas it would be perfect!

Ideally, I would like to rent a 1/1 for $1000 or less.

Thanks all for any advice and or feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 09:03 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,393 times
You got it, Oak Lawn. Or Uptown, just east of Oak Lawn, across Turtle Creek - it's a creek/park. Google maps, search zip code 75219. A very blue spot in a colorful part of town.

In Oak Lawn, you'll be more interested in the area referred to as North Oak Lawn, between Lemmon Ave and Highland Park. The border street there is Hawthorne. There is an area in Oak Lawn referred to as the Crossroads with several club and entertainment places, Party on the Block Dallas. 'The Crossroads' is a reference to the intersection of Cedar Spring @ Throckmorton. There was a bookstore there, Crossroads Bookstore. Plenty of apartments, condo's, and townhomes in this area. Whole Foods grocery at Lemmon Ave @ Dallas North Tollway. North Oak Lawn is very safe for walking, day or night.

Uptown runs along McKinney (parallel to US75), from about Pearl St on the south to Knox on the north end. Full of apartments and condo's. The south end is called State/Thomas - two streets called State, and Thomas. A wide variety of style of townhomes.

http://www.dallasvoice.com/scenes-20...t-1094440.html

Last edited by Willsson; 10-25-2012 at 09:15 PM..

Old 10-25-2012, 09:46 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,170,572 times
It's unfortunate that Crossroads bookstore in Oak Lawn is long gone.

The OP should also know that North Oak Cliff, near the Bishop Arts District, is also quite LGBT friendly. Some say that "Oak Cliff is the Austin of Dallas," because of the old-growth trees, some rolling hills and diverse community.
North Oak Cliff, Dallas, Texas | Best Old House Neighborhoods 2011: the Southwest | Photos | Home & Real Estate | Money | This Old House

Old 10-26-2012, 12:13 AM

What zip code is Oak Cliff located in? I am doing a quick search on apartments and would love to research that area more. Thanks!

Old 10-26-2012, 05:32 AM

Oak Cliff is a broad area that includes more than one zip code but Bishop Arts District is 75208.

However, be warned: it's an older area in the throes of gentrification. Everything's not all nice and shiny like in Uptown. There isn't a lot of new construction apartments/condos (yet), if that's what you're looking for. However, there are a couple new properties nearby:

Luxury Apartments Dallas | New Apartments Uptown Dallas - Zang Triangle

Rent Apartment in Dallas Texas - Alta West Davis Apartment in Dallas TX (construction not yet finished but they are leasing apparently so it should be done soon)

If you're looking for an older building that's been updated, try Good Space who have restored lots of buildings in the area and control several rental properties that seem to be in your price range:

Good Space- Bishop Arts District Dallas Living Working

Also, this is an older building that's condo but I've known people who have rented units from individual owners. Nice building.

http://lakeclifftower.com/

If you're looking to purchase an older home, I'd say check out Oak Cliff neighborhoods like Kidd Springs, Stevens Park, Kings Highway, Winnetka Heights and Ravinia Heights. And, if you've got lots of bucks to drop, Kessler Park, if you want a huge, older home/mansion.

Here's some more information about the Bishop Arts District and Oak Cliff:

http://www.dmagazine.com/Home/D_Home...Spotlight.aspx

http://www.gooakcliff.org/

The Bishop Arts District - Home

Bishop Arts District - Oak Cliff - Dallas, TX

Hope this helps. Oh, and I'm originally from California as well. Welcome to Texas!

Last edited by TrueDat; 10-26-2012 at 05:57 AM..

Old 10-26-2012, 07:42 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,849,240 times
Love the floorplan names at the Alta West Davis--you can tell who they are marketing to...

Old 10-28-2012, 02:34 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,485,800 times
It's a little over $1000 but the Illume has the best location in oak lawn and amazing amenities.http://www.ilumedallas.com/

Old 01-23-2013, 10:39 PM

What is North Dallas area like (75254)? Is this considered the suburbs? How would this area compare to Bishop Arts district?

Old 01-23-2013, 10:43 PM

That's Far North Dallas, right? North of I-635 near Preston Rd? It's very suburban, lots of mini-malls and shopping centers. It's nothing like the more quaint Bishop Arts District and the surrounding Oak Cliff area.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:55 PM

I am planning a research trip next week to Dallas. As mentioned in the previous thread my partner and I will be relocating for a job opportunity. We are young, no children, and want to explore what Dallas has to offer. Most replies are pointing me into the Bishop Arts district for the diversity, nightlife, and access to public transportation. My job will primarily be in downtown dallas with some remote work.

Does anyone have any recommendations on dog friendly apartment complexes that are within a close proximity to the Bishop Arts district, uptown, Oak Lawn, or any other "gayborhoods"?

I've heard conflicting opinions of South Dallas (questionable pockets of areas that are unsafe) what's a local's prospective?

Irving seems to be within a 30 minute commute, what is life like for a young professional there?

I haven't had much luck using rent.com and any help is truly appreciated, thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: