Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 03:57 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,746,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Austin is a fake, plastic, Californicated version of its former self. I can scarcely bear to even look at it now.
Actually, its one giant Christmas tree waiting for someone to stuff it into a fireplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 03:59 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
I don't like country music or a lot of the local music offerings I've heard out here. There are so many little things I've come to realize don't work for me.

So there you go.
To be fair, I dont even know anyone here who likes country music and I gather the Dallas country music scene offerings are meager. Dallas does have a killer metal scene though. Thats what Im into.

I (no exaggeration) knew more people in LA that liked country than here. Most here seem to be into metal, top 40, and dance music (electronic and dubstep).

Old 11-12-2012, 04:08 PM

15 posts, read 77,113 times
Quote:
If you're happy, that is fine. Just remember that not everyone is. Texas beaches aren't nearly as nice as many in CA. And CA's beaches aren't nearly as nice as the likes of the Caribbean or Hawaii. I'll agree with you that there is plenty for a lot of folks here. For myself, personally, I don't find too much that I enjoy. I also dislike having to drive several hours to be able to enjoy many of these activities. I'm not a sports fan, I don't shop and I'm just not a fan. After giving it 3 years out here I can honestly say that I'm not a fan. Which is a large reason why I'm moving back to CA.

Now I agree with you and others who say that it is expensive in CA. It is, outrageously so. For me, I have a network of friends and family I left behind in CA who I truly miss and that is more important to me than cheap rent and shopping. My personality and beliefs are just too different from people in Dallas. I've made some friends but none who I would consider close. I miss the times when I was stressed out and just needed to go for a drive. I'd wind down a quiet canyon road, hit PCH and just drive along the coast and clear my head. It is just something that I personally enjoy. I'm sure someone will chime in and tell me to drive some back country road up to Oklahoma or something, but that's not the point. I couldn't adapt to the differences out here. I don't go to church, nor do I want to. I don't like country music or a lot of the local music offerings I've heard out here. There are so many little things I've come to realize don't work for me.

So there you go.
I see. My apologies for making you get into personal feelings in detail. Yes Dallas has larger commutes but is Cali so different? It seems rather large to me as well. I think they cancel each other out in that area. I do understand how you feel. I went to Seattle thinking it would be better but Dallas was home and I missed it.... now I am back.
I still think Tx offers the best living in the nation, but if Cali is where the heart is for you, go for it. You are right, rent and shopping mean nothing if there isn't happiness. I am sorry Tx isn't for you but happy you know where happiness is. Go to CA. and find your place. Personally, I still think that state is great as well. I do love San Diego. Have at it and good luck if you leave!

Old 11-12-2012, 04:12 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,223,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
To be fair, I dont even know anyone here who likes country music and I gather the Dallas country music scene offerings are meager. Dallas does have a killer metal scene though. Thats what Im into.

I (no exaggeration) knew more people in LA that liked country than here. Most here seem to be into metal, top 40, and dance music (electronic and dubstep).
I'm a metal fan, too but haven't discovered any good metal bands out here. To be honest, I didn't look because I haven't met any other metal fans, so no one to enjoy it with. Everyone I've come in contact with seems to enjoy Country. The stereotype holds true with the folks I've met.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Fox View Post
I see. My apologies for making you get into personal feelings in detail. Yes Dallas has larger commutes but is Cali so different? It seems rather large to me as well. I think they cancel each other out in that area. I do understand how you feel. I went to Seattle thinking it would be better but Dallas was home and I missed it.... now I am back.
I still think Tx offers the best living in the nation, but if Cali is where the heart is for you, go for it. You are right, rent and shopping mean nothing if there isn't happiness. I am sorry Tx isn't for you but happy you know where happiness is. Go to CA. and find your place. Personally, I still think that state is great as well. I do love San Diego. Have at it and good luck if you leave!
I wasn't commenting on commute times. I was more commenting on how yes, there are beaches here but they're several hours away and would require a hotel stay. Mountains... not sure the distance, but not a day trip. CA is large and sprawling, there's no doubt about that but at least where I lived things were easily accessible. That's part of why it is so expensive. You know I lived within 20 miles of the beach my entire life and never learned how to surf. It took moving to Texas to inspire me to learn when I get back.

You definitely get it. You had my Dallas experience, sort of, but in Seattle. Home is where the heart is. I also haven't felt a very warm welcome. Maybe that's my fault, I don't know. I've only been honest about where I'm from and in social situations never made it seem like I'm better than anyone or that CA was better than here. I only do that on C-D

Old 11-12-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I'm a metal fan, too but haven't discovered any good metal bands out here. To be honest, I didn't look because I haven't met any other metal fans, so no one to enjoy it with. Everyone I've come in contact with seems to enjoy Country. The stereotype holds true with the folks I've met.
What kind of metal do you like? Thrash, progressive, death, and black metal is very good here. Not too much nu-metal though.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
What kind of metal do you like?
I like a variety. Anything from classic Iron Maiden to Opeth to Protest the Hero or Meshuggah or Disarmonia Mundi.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I like a variety. Anything from classic Iron Maiden to Opeth to Protest the Hero or Meshuggah or Disarmonia Mundi.
Check out Turbid North (excellent progressive metal-good mix of fast and slow), Absu (one of the best black metal bands around), Sparrows (if you like really extreme Satanic death metal), Giant of the Mountain (Black Metal), Warbeast (good thrash), Kill the Client (deathcore), Protest (a good mix of Slayer, thrash and death metal), Moving Atlas (progressive rock), and Fair to Midland (more progressive rock).

Have you ever gone to any local shows? They arent hard to find.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:47 PM

Good stuff. Thanks. I haven't been to any local shows due to a lack of companionship and I'm an old fart now not wanting to go alone.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:12 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Try again, you spelled Houston wrong.
Nope. I even tried inserting Houston and my computer auto-corrected me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas