Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 01:27 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosgreat View Post
If you don't mind me asking... or if anyone else has any experience / insight......

what area/location did you do your basement in?

what is the approx sq ft / measurements / how many courses high ?

what was the approx cost of basement?

was it that big of a deal to find a contractor with experience doing a basement?
North Dallas
a 20 x 25 add on to the house I can't remember the exact price but it was under 10k unfinished.
dont know what courses high means
Not everyone does it but when you call around the contractors who don't, can lead you to the ones who do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 03:23 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
I grew up in Kansas and Iowa, we had basements up there. They were not included in the sq footage of the house because they were unfinished. From what I've heard before, a basement (unfinished) is not included in the sq footage because it is not a heated/cooled area. Same thing goes for garages, for example.

My parents are looking to move, we saw a few houses that have basements in the McKinney area, all with walkouts. Average age of the homes was probably about 2002-2003. They were finished, and what would have been about a 4500 sq/ft house becomes about a 6000sq/ft house with a finished basement.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:16 PM

82 posts, read 238,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
North Dallas
a 20 x 25 add on to the house I can't remember the exact price but it was under 10k unfinished.
dont know what courses high means
Not everyone does it but when you call around the contractors who don't, can lead you to the ones who do.
what I mean by how many courses is basically what is the height of your basement.....
thanks......

Old 11-08-2012, 08:26 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosgreat View Post
what I mean by how many courses is basically what is the height of your basement.....
thanks......
I went a foot higher than normal, a 9 foot ceiling

Old 11-09-2012, 12:02 PM

812 posts, read 2,184,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I grew up in Kansas and Iowa, we had basements up there. They were not included in the sq footage of the house because they were unfinished. From what I've heard before, a basement (unfinished) is not included in the sq footage because it is not a heated/cooled area. Same thing goes for garages, for example.

My parents are looking to move, we saw a few houses that have basements in the McKinney area, all with walkouts. Average age of the homes was probably about 2002-2003. They were finished, and what would have been about a 4500 sq/ft house becomes about a 6000sq/ft house with a finished basement.
That sounds like Mallard Lakes on Virginia Pkwy. I seem to recall hearing about a lot of failed basements there. Very nice houses... Toll Brothers I think.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:37 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
I've wondered the same thing. I'm from Atlanta and basements (in newer homes at least) are common. When my parents went shopping for a new house they made sure it had a basement. Dallas doesn't seem to be that much warmer than Atlanta in winter so is the soil type the reason for the difference between Dallas and Atlanta as far as basements are concerned?

Old 11-12-2012, 08:47 AM

6 posts, read 15,135 times
Question failed basements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggolf View Post
That sounds like Mallard Lakes on Virginia Pkwy. I seem to recall hearing about a lot of failed basements there. Very nice houses... Toll Brothers I think.
Could you elaborate about the failed basements? I have looked in this neighborhood and liked the housing I saw there.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:25 AM

17 posts, read 33,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
I'm really curious as to why people think that basements would be safe in a tornado. Many times in a tornado the house collapses. If you are in a basement, then you are buried in a hole under all of the debris, making it harder to be rescued.
Well, it's probably better to be in a basement with the house collapsed on top of the basement than to be in the house with the house collapsed on top of you directly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas