Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 07:09 PM

20 posts, read 24,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDallas View Post
There's a few here. Hunt oil and gas, cheif oil and gas, browning, kosmos energy. The southwest petroleum company located in ft worth. Halliburton has an office in Carrollton. A few mineral and royalty rights companies such as Venable royalty. Have you googled oil and gas in Dallas?

Yes! I have applied to some you mentioned but I got the usual "no experience" rejection!!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 08:02 PM

472 posts, read 1,097,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmaureen View Post
Yes! I have applied to some you mentioned but I got the usual "no experience" rejection!!
Thanks!
I hate that. How are you suppose to get experience if no one gives you a chance. I feel your pain, I'm currently job searching also. Its not pleasant.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:54 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
Quote:
Thanks!
Try Midland, you may get lucky and find someone to work with you. Example, I got my CDL and trucking companies generally want even look at you with you having at least 2yrs experience. I got a job driving 3 days after receiving my CDL in Midland...not just driving but hauling fuel. The reason was due to a shortage of drivers. The same thing could happen with higher end positions. Example, Pioneer is set to build a new building there in Midland and their going to need attorneys, geologist, engineers etc.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:31 PM

Midland/Odessa/Permian basin and Houston are the oil spots.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Try Midland, you may get lucky and find someone to work with you. Example, I got my CDL and trucking companies generally want even look at you with you having at least 2yrs experience. I got a job driving 3 days after receiving my CDL in Midland...not just driving but hauling fuel. The reason was due to a shortage of drivers. The same thing could happen with higher end positions. Example, Pioneer is set to build a new building there in Midland and their going to need attorneys, geologist, engineers etc.
Wow! Thanks! Learnt Midland is about 5hrs from Dallas?

Old 11-01-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDallas View Post
I hate that. How are you suppose to get experience if no one gives you a chance. I feel your pain, I'm currently job searching also. Its not pleasant.
Tell me about it!!!!!! It is sad that no one has the time for "non experienced" applicants regardless of background and educational qualifications! Good Luck in your search! Hope you find something soon!

Old 11-01-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Tell me about it!!!!!! It is sad that no one has the time for "non experienced" applicants regardless of background and educational qualifications! Good Luck in your search! Hope you find something soon!
You too!

Old 11-01-2012, 10:18 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Just moved to the Dallas area and looking for a job in the oil and gas industry. I have an MBA and about 8 years of legal experience (no oil and gas experience)....any leads? Can't seem to find anything!!!! Thanks!

Are you looking for legal in O&G? Or just O&G?

Old 11-01-2012, 12:04 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Dallas is O&G lite, mostly smaller independents HQ here or US operating arms of a Canadian O&G company. Houston has the HQ operations of O&G which is where needs to legal are going to be. If you are "stuck" in Dallas and want an O&G, try Hunt as previously mentioned or Pioneer. Both are HQ here and have lawyers on staff.

Good luck.... for scale, Houston has about 30 O&G jobs for each one in Dallas. Midland is a large operating area, not many large O&G HQ there... great for engineers, drivers, geologist etc....but not so much for lawyers.

Not a lot of lawyers needed in house by O&G firms as serious legal work is outsourced to law firms by a HQ lawyer... so Houson is where that happens in droves.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:28 PM

871 posts, read 2,688,928 times
Quote:
Thanks thanks thanks for all the advice guys. Its really helpful! I have my legal experience in IP. I was in IP in the DC/VA area but I really really want to gradually transition. I wouldn't mind getting into an O and G law firm but the problem is finding one....Pappy97 and Turtlecreek80, do you know guys know any o and g law firms here in Dallas hiring?
@ Lakewooder...that will also be a good route...I don't have any contract experience but willing to take a course in contract management if I can find one too...Thanks guys!
Hiring? No,

and just to be clear, you are an attorney, right? I'm still confused on that.

Do you have the creds to be at a big firm? There are big firms in Texas that do Oil and Gas (naturally) as well as IP, if you wanted to try to apply for an IP related job and then transition at such a firm into Oil and Gas (As I mentioned in my previous post).

If it's a small firm, I'm sure there are smaller firms that do some O and G in Dallas, but I don't know them. Also don't know any smaller firms that do both IP and O and G (in relation to my previous idea of finding an IP job and trying to transition into O and G).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas