Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 08:11 PM

2 posts, read 10,150 times

Advertisements

I am a Hairstylist and have been for 21 yrs. I am new to the state of Texas so I am not in a salon just yet. However, I need someone to cut my hair also... I drive too far and I am not 100% happy. Since I have been here I have had 3 bad haircuts. 2 in the same week. it went from worse to more worse -so even I know the feeling. I am semi- happy now but determined to not have to drive 100 miles round trip for a decent cut. :-( but in my attempts to change twice now- it has not been a good experience AT ALL. now after 2 years of growing out a bad hair cut- I am right back to where I was then because I am back to growing out another bad hair cut and $105.00 later. 2 whole years of growing my hair have ended once again in one bad hair cut.

The thing is with the price of a hair cut. In "today's world" the average price for a good hair cut is 30.00-40.00. As with everything in today's world -prices have increased. A lot of places here in Texas (galaxy of salons etc...) places like that are booth rental. These stylists rent that booth and pay weekly rent. Some places rent is about 150.00 and higher a week. the stylist not only needs to cover that rent for the week---they also need to make a living after the rent is paid. Which means they also must buy their own supplies, shampoo, color, perms, brushes, dryers etc... Hair color and perms have increased in price immensely. Continued education classes are costly as well.

The lower end salons are very inexpensive due to the fact that "normally" (not always). Those stylists are fresh out of school and their experience cannot support the higher prices. They normally do mainly cuts only also. (Best cuts/smart cuts)
That is why you can get a hair cut there for maybe 15.00.

The old saying "you get what you pay for" comes to mind. However don't be fooled by the price. A lot of stylists are not "great" and they are working in the bigger top dollar salons. the reason for that is this- those ritzy salons -your hair cut price includes seeing that decorated nicely and very lavish atmosphere... but the stylist gets only a portion of the service. Commission is not more than normally 50 % and that is why the price is so high. the stylists need to make a living and the salon needs to make the high rent payment.

When renting space you typically can't charge less than 25/30.00 for a cut simply because the reason those places exist for one reason. For the stylist to make more and work less. they want 100% for the services they provide. I can't tell you how many heads of hair I had to cut in a day at 15.00 a pop with normally a buck or two tip... to make 300.00 a week and feel totally exhausted after being on my feet 10 hours straight w/o even taking a break to eat. We call em chop shops. these places are always packed with people who just will not pay 30.00 for a hair cut.

I currently pay 50.00 w/tip for a hair cut. I don't like it until it grows out at least a month or two (literally) I also drive 46 miles "each" way. All I can say is when you find a stylist, stick with them at least 2 times before leaving. Communicate and be sure to say what you liked best and what you did not care for with the last hair cut. It is far easier to make adjustments rather than start over again with a new stylist.

Sometimes we need to cut your hair more than once to know exactly what you like and dislike. A good hair cut is also worth it 4 times a year at 30-40.00 a visit. Just think of the other things we spend money on- :-) We owe it to ourselves to find a good stylist that can work with our hair and help us look our best. There are no two heads of hair alike- and there aren't two sylists alike as well. Everyone has their own style and way of cutting.

My clients (before i moved) came to me- most of them for at least 10 yrs. I was part of their family. I was a good listener- so not only did they pay me for a hair cutting service they unloaded everything on me from new babies, new houses, marriages, divorces, finances. You name it- I heard about ALL it. I LOVED it though! I was also there personal therapist. I enjoyed taking care of my clients and over the past 20 yrs I have learned how to build a clientele and also keep a clientele. I always gave the best scalp massage and mini neck massage. Those extra 2-3 minutes my clients really enjoyed. I was as flexible as I could be and I listened to what they wanted me to do. I also encouraged pictures. Nothing like trying to read what you have going on in your head and mind reading what you are expecting. :-)

My clients were loyal and they even added to me to their Christmas list every year, invited me to weddings...they cooked for me... always bought me gifts for my birthday...

It was a wonderful life!! Everyone was happy because they loved me and I enjoyed their company and I enjoyed keeping them looking at their very best.

I had to relocate here to TX because my husband transferred with his job.
I miss working in a salon and I cannot wait to find my new "home away from home" and build relationships with people here in my new home town. :-)

If you found a good cut at a lower price salon you are very lucky. Those stylists eventually get tired of getting too little of a pay check and move on to bigger and better things usually on their own and booth renting. So the prices will go up. As the rent increases so will the salon prices.

Last edited by renay; 03-22-2008 at 08:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 06:16 AM

32 posts, read 85,451 times
Default Thank you, renay

As a newcomer to McKinney, I have struggled finding a hair salon. I get my hair cut every 4 to 5 weeks so am looking for a reasonably priced but experienced stylist. Your posting explained everything - thank you for taking the time to explain the "business" to consumer.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:52 PM

4 posts, read 6,436 times
That is NOT true stylists such as myself work for chains here in Texas. It isn't true that they are fresh out of school and can only get the $15. At the place I work I straighten out bad cuts bought at a place that charges $55+. I've been working for this chain for 5 years the pay is good and the tips are great. People charge too much for haircuts thinking they warrant the cost THEY don't no matter how good you are. Look for someone who listens to what you want, takes you with them from start to finish as they cut they tell you why and how this is done to ease your mind. Know what you want and get familiar with a stylist who can give you that even if its a chain. You can ask how long a person has had their license *(though some are fantastic even if they've only had it a few years) You can also request a stylist at the chains. You are a stylist then you should know this and stop acting superior because you may not cut hair as good as you think you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas