Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2012, 11:12 PM

121 posts, read 166,180 times

Advertisements

The last time I went to the counter to check my bags I noticed that the AA agents have become the baggage Nazis. Back in the old days they never really cared unless your bag was ridiculously heavy.

I'm wondering - since they work off tips - do the curbside check-in people care what your bags weigh?

If anyone has any information about this I would appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 04:56 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Yes, they all care. If your bag weighs over 50 lbs, you will pay extra!

Old 11-05-2012, 06:12 AM

173 posts, read 399,083 times
Ticket agents enforce to the ounce! You MAY have a little more leeway with the curbside guys, but not much. A healthy tip, given up front, sometimes will get you a few extra pounds I have found. I always carry one of the portable scales with me to be sure I don't get stuck paying extra- and I am a Platinum level flyer...

Old 11-05-2012, 06:22 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
We saw people at the Orlando airport last Thanksgiving having to unpack suitcases that were over the limit and put them in boxes--don't know if they were mailing them home or what but it looked pretty ridiculous and was slowing down other people trying to check bags (like us)
And don't know if they saved any money anyway...
That was about the time the airlines went to really enforcing their weight rules...
Unfortunately they still don't really check carry-ons for size limitations as thoroughly...

Old 11-05-2012, 08:53 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
We saw people at the Orlando airport last Thanksgiving having to unpack suitcases that were over the limit and put them in boxes--don't know if they were mailing them home or what but it looked pretty ridiculous and was slowing down other people trying to check bags (like us)
And don't know if they saved any money anyway...
That was about the time the airlines went to really enforcing their weight rules...
Unfortunately they still don't really check carry-ons for size limitations as thoroughly...
Leaving Cabo last summer we did a redistribution of our clothing when one bag came in too heavy. We didn't hold up the line though, which is just rude.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:25 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
They weren't still in line--
But people whose bags are overweight and or have other problems always get into "discussion" at the counter with the agents and it just takes time for them to realize they can't argue their way out of it...

One time we were overweight by couple of pounds and the agent let my husband slide because of his AA membership rank--
We just made sure to evenly space stuff when we returned...

Old 11-05-2012, 12:41 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
They weren't still in line--
But people whose bags are overweight and or have other problems always get into "discussion" at the counter with the agents and it just takes time for them to realize they can't argue their way out of it...

One time we were overweight by couple of pounds and the agent let my husband slide because of his AA membership rank--
We just made sure to evenly space stuff when we returned...

Ahh, I see. I've flown enough to know there was no discussion to be had. LOL. We just moved out of the way figured it out. To the OP, sometimes they're sticklers, sometimes not. Best to just keep your bag under the weight limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas