Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 09:14 AM

477 posts, read 1,051,530 times

Advertisements

Ok, so as most can probably tell from my recent posts, I am in the process of buying a home in Richardson. We're living with a family member in Garland right now. I like the huge garbage cans that Garland supplies it's residents. I just remembered that I did not see one of these at the home we are trying to buy, so I went to the City of Richardson website to see what type of receptacles they provide/if any and I see that they won't even pick up trash if it's in a garbage can that *I* purchase from Home Depot or somewhere. They want trash only in bags it says.

Is this correct? Can someone who lives in Richardson chime in? Seems like bags would be a good way to have neighborhood strays/animals get into the garbage and make a mess often. Just seems strange that they won't pick up any garbage out of a can. It's not a deal breaker for sure, but I've got to say I'm shaking my head at a town that has a higher tax rate than Garland and they won't even pick up trash from a can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 09:57 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globe9 View Post
Ok, so as most can probably tell from my recent posts, I am in the process of buying a home in Richardson. We're living with a family member in Garland right now. I like the huge garbage cans that Garland supplies it's residents. I just remembered that I did not see one of these at the home we are trying to buy, so I went to the City of Richardson website to see what type of receptacles they provide/if any and I see that they won't even pick up trash if it's in a garbage can that *I* purchase from Home Depot or somewhere. They want trash only in bags it says.

Is this correct? Can someone who lives in Richardson chime in? Seems like bags would be a good way to have neighborhood strays/animals get into the garbage and make a mess often. Just seems strange that they won't pick up any garbage out of a can. It's not a deal breaker for sure, but I've got to say I'm shaking my head at a town that has a higher tax rate than Garland and they won't even pick up trash from a can.
Richardson is old, so its alleys are narrow. The type of trucks with the automatic arms to pick up garbage cans often cannot fit down them without smacking into tree limbs, fences, etc. They simply don't fit.

Would you rather put the cans out in front? I know I wouldn't. It's ugly.

Animals? Never had a problem with it. We have rabbits, raccoons, possums, coyotes, etc. in Richardson as is the case in most of DFW. I have never...EVER...had an animal tear into my garbage and strew it around.

Plus, look at it this way. When you have cans, you can only throw out what fits in the cans. In Richardson, you're not limited. You can throw out 20 bags if you want. They pick up trash twice a week, recycling once a week, and bulk trash once a week (by request). Our waste management is actually REALLY good.

So we don't use cans? So what?

Old 11-08-2012, 10:20 AM

I get not having the mechanical trucks. In Nola we didn't have the mechanical arm thing either, but the garbage man still picked up the trash that was in the garbage cans(2 of them, sometimes 3) that we bought from Home Depot. They were just the regular Rubbermaid type can with lid. I don't see why they couldnt do that. I have had issues with neighbors' trash in bags being ripped open by I'm assuming neighborhood cats or dogs in Metairie. I don't see how it wouldn't be a problem here, but maybe it won't. I can't wait to see what happens during crawfish season and those stinky suckers are sitting out there all night.
I just find it strange that we can't even use regular cans. Guess i'll have to get used to it.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:10 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,864,734 times
If you have to only use bags, the trick is to only put out the trash the morning of pickup. You can store it in a bin/can/whatever before pickup.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:50 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,407,747 times
I lived near audelia and buckingham for a few months while exploring the area and had the same large plastic containers that Garland uses so maybe it depends on the neighborhood?

Old 11-08-2012, 02:50 PM

127 posts, read 259,157 times
Rockwall does the same thing from what i hear. My father in law lives there and just takes the bags out of the trashcan and puts them on the street on trash days.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I get not having the mechanical trucks. In Nola we didn't have the mechanical arm thing either, but the garbage man still picked up the trash that was in the garbage cans(2 of them, sometimes 3) that we bought from Home Depot. They were just the regular Rubbermaid type can with lid. I don't see why they couldnt do that. I have had issues with neighbors' trash in bags being ripped open by I'm assuming neighborhood cats or dogs in Metairie. I don't see how it wouldn't be a problem here, but maybe it won't. I can't wait to see what happens during crawfish season and those stinky suckers are sitting out there all night.
I just find it strange that we can't even use regular cans. Guess i'll have to get used to it.

You shouldn't let that be a deal breaker. Richardson is a very nice place to live and I've never known anyone in town who said "Gee, I wish we had those big giant plastic wheeled bins that stink and take up a lot of space in the garage!"

Seriously. It's just trash in a bag.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:51 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,980,478 times
The key is: load your trash bags with dog poop.( if you have a dog)
And take the bags out in the morning don't leave them overnight.
We have discovered animals don't go ripping through the bags if they smell our dogs Poop.
We pooper scoop the backyard and dump it in with the rest of the trash.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:25 AM

Lol...not a deal breaker btw. Just have never heard of not using cans, even the small ones that don't require the use of a mechanical arm. Just will take some getting used to. I love the area though and can't wait to move.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Lol...not a deal breaker btw. Just have never heard of not using cans, even the small ones that don't require the use of a mechanical arm. Just will take some getting used to. I love the area though and can't wait to move.
You'll get used to it, it's really a non-issue. Richardson's city management is excellent. That isn't to say that the city doesn't have challenges to overcome, but I think they do an outstanding job shoring up the tax base with corporate office leases and rejuvenating older neighborhoods with public works projects. My street is slated to be re-surfaced in 2013 with money from a bond package that was passed in 2009. So things don't happen immediately, but they do happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas