Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 10:01 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,116,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by globe9 View Post
We're new to this area, so I'm not sure what is customary in this situation. We're buying a brick, ranch style home in Richardson. Offer was accepted and house is under contract. We had inspection on house this past Saturday. The inspector was thorough and said that the house is in very good condition. He said it was obvious that the home was well-maintained for it's entire history thus far. There are some minor things of course, but nothing we can't take care of for relatively small expense. With 2 exceptions.
He said the A/C is 20 years old. It's working fine, but he said due to it's age, we can expect it to go out at anytime. The other thing is the water heater. It is also old and will need replacing in the near future. We are having an A/C guy go out and look at the system to give us his more expert opinion and replacement cost. The water heater isn't that big of a deal to me as they're also relatively inexpensive to me($500-$600), but the A/C could be a $5,000 expense or more.

I'm not expecting the seller to replace the A/C, but would asking for $2,000 or $2,500 off agreed price be fair? Is this customary? We're not getting the house for a steal or anything. The seller is getting a fair price IMO. It's in the high end of what comps sold for per sq ft.

What would you do? Just looking for honest answers and opinions on this. Thanks!
Thought your offer was already accepted? So, you want to renegotiate your already accepted offer on a house w/ an excellent inspection because of equipment that may eventually give out. If I were the seller, I'd be thinking you were nitpicking and move on to another buyer. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 10:13 AM

551 posts, read 1,092,625 times
As far as the AC goes there are various levels that one might consider "working." Testing it when it's 60 degrees outside is not going to tell you if it's going to handle 110 degree heat. If its 20 years old I can almost guarantee that it's will not cool your house to acceptable levels (72-74) in the height of summer. I would get a couple quotes, go to the home owner with the inspectors report and the replacement numbers and see if you can work something out. You should always try. The worst they can do is turn you down.

Water heater is easy. $450 and half a day and you can replace that. $1000 if you pay someone.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:19 AM

477 posts, read 1,047,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Thought your offer was already accepted? So, you want to renegotiate your already accepted offer on a house w/ an excellent inspection because of equipment that may eventually give out. If I were the seller, I'd be thinking you were nitpicking and move on to another buyer. Just my opinion.
Yes, offer was accepted, but after inspection, there is another negotiation. This is what our realtor told us and even gave us another form to fill out for this negotiation. When we sold our home in Nola, we had this extra negotiation as well. We gave our buyer a $1500 allowance for issues that came up during inspection. She accepted.
The seller could move onto another buyer, but its not like this home was just listed last week. It's been on market for a while. Seller also told our agent that she has another mortgage on the home she currently lives in. I think she is motivated. Again, we are NOT asking for her to replace A/C. I was just asking what the norm was here in TX on things such as this.

The gas hot water heater is in a closet in the garage. I do believe the inspector mentioned something about it not being vented properly, so that may be something we ask for. The gf is meeting someone today who will look at those 2 things and we'll go from there. The house was not listed "as is" btw and I don't feel as if we are trying to screw over the seller either.

Will definitely look into the fine print on the warranty.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:21 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,143,342 times
Quote:
Yes, offer was accepted, but after inspection, there is another negotiation. This is what our realtor told us and even gave us another form to fill out for this negotiation. When we sold our home in Nola, we had this extra negotiation as well. We gave our buyer a $1500 allowance for issues that came up during inspection. She accepted.
The seller could move onto another buyer, but its not like this home was just listed last week. It's been on market for a while. Seller also told our agent that she has another mortgage on the home she currently lives in. I think she is motivated. Again, we are NOT asking for her to replace A/C. I was just asking what the norm was here in TX on things such as this.

The gas hot water heater is in a closet in the garage. I do believe the inspector mentioned something about it not being vented properly, so that may be something we ask for. The gf is meeting someone today who will look at those 2 things and we'll go from there. The house was not listed "as is" btw and I don't feel as if we are trying to screw over the seller either.

Will definitely look into the fine print on the warranty.
It's not as-is but that doesn't mean the seller is obligated to replace expensive systems just because they are near the end of their useful lifespan.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It's not as-is but that doesn't mean the seller is obligated to replace expensive systems just because they are near the end of their useful lifespan.
I'm not asking to replace. I believe I've stated that 2 or 3 times now.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:28 AM

19,557 posts, read 17,824,718 times
Quote:
I'm not asking to replace. I believe I've stated that 2 or 3 times now.
Don't let the chatter bother you. You've done nothing other than what's customary. There is no way, unless you are nosey like me, that you would know pre-inspection about the condition of the home's working gear.

The bottom line is 20yo AC is worth negative $2/3K maybe worse. A crapped out water heater is worth negative $500 at least - all relative to a similar homes with these items in new or much newer condition.

Only you can decide if the pre-inspection price is attractive enough for you to eat the cost of re-installing the old gear or not.

IMO another way think about this is.......would it be worth your time, sweat, emotion etc. to pay the $4/5K to replace all this stuff or not. If not and the buyer wont'/can't budge keep looking. If so buy it, fix it and forget it - plus enjoy the hot water and cheap cool air. Or negotiate something in the middle.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:31 AM

19,557 posts, read 17,824,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post

I've never been involved in a home sale or buy that worked any differently than the OP has described. At least around here offers are contingent upon inspection - maybe it works differently sometimes but not generally.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:15 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,626,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I've never been involved in a home sale or buy that worked any differently than the OP has described. At least around here offers are contingent upon inspection - maybe it works differently sometimes but not generally.
In Texas,offers are not contingent upon inspection. My understanding is the TREC residential purchase contract is basically "as is." but provides for an option period. Following the 3-5 day option period, during which the inspection takes place, the buyer can decide if the deal (negotiated sales price) makes sense vs. the comps and the condition of the property. If the deal makes sense, the contract is alive and the sale is pending. If the deal no longer makes sense to the buyer, s/he can walk away. That's basically the way the TREC contract is set up. However, often before "walking away" the buyer will decide the deal doesn't make sense as it stands and asks for concessions in terms of price reduction or repairs. This is all normal.

Don't pay attention to personal attacks of posters regarding your question about asking for concessions. It has become almost a punishment to post one's questions at times. There are always people who find pleasure in responding to questions in "attack mode." I don't understand why others find enjoyment in whipping out mean responses.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:36 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,904,400 times
Agree about the pointlessness of the OP beat down, however...

Other than logistics, I don't see any difference between asking for the AC to be replaced, and asking for 100% of the money needed to replace the AC. So, to me, it seems that the OP is, indeed, asking for replacement of the AC effectively, even when he insists he isn't.

FWIW, when I sold my last house, the buyer wanted me to fix X, Y, and Z. I gave him a $5k discount and told him to get it all fixed himself. That way, it is done to HIS satisfaction, not that of a homeowner going out the door. That is how the OP should approach this - just needs to figure how much value is left in an AC with somewhere between 0-3 years left in it.

Edit- re-read original post. Never mind. $2-3k off for an iffy AC unit seems fair.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post

Edit- re-read original post. Never mind. $2-3k off for an iffy AC unit seems fair.
Glad you went back and reread b/c I'm not asking for a new A/C or $5k. The age of A/C was not on disclosure. I do happen to think an allowance of $2-$2500k is fair. That would include other repairs that inspector pointed out as well. Seller can say no or offer lower. It's just a negotiation.
Just wanted to come here and see what the norm for something like this is. It gets very hot here and a functioning A/C is a necessity.
Will know more when its looked at this afternoon. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas