U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 08:33 PM

5 posts, read 6,610 times

Advertisements

Hello, My husband, 2 yr old daughter and I are moving from Long Island, NY to the Dallas, TX area. I'm a 1st time buyer looking at either Frisco or Flower Mound to settle down for at least the next ten years or so. I have a couple questions 1) We're really torn between the 2 areas. If you were to choose between the two locations, which would you choose and why? 2) For Flower mound, which high school is better: Marcus HS or Flower mound HS? 3) We've been all over, and love Toll Brothers homes, however, online reviews have been terrible about them. My question is, has anyone recently purchased a newly built home from them (within last couple years) and have major issues with them? I haven't seen any recent complaints about them. 4) We put a deposit (refundable) on a lot, but now we're wondering should we go through a realtor for the remainder of the process if we go through with it? We had asked before deposit if they would negotiate on price, and they said no. Wondering if realtor would be able to reduce price. 5) Is there a rebate or anything for going through a realtor, or for first time buyers? I had read something about that and wasn't able to get much info on that. Sorry for so many questions. We greatly appreciate any information/advice you have to offer!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 09:20 PM

2,313 posts, read 6,842,760 times
I'll weigh in on the builder and quality questions/concerns that you have and leave the others for more knowledgeable and/or experienced individuals as I don't live in that area.

Every builder wants to build you the perfect home. However every builder, no matter how good their reputation, is susceptible to building a less than desirable quality home. The major problem builders have are the quality control provided by the building supervisor on your project and/or in your development. I've inspected new builds by the same builder, being built at the same time, in two different developments spaced far apart, and being supervised by two different building supervisors. This is a builder that has a reputation for an average built home. In one development the homes were definitely shortcutted and much less than desirable quality. In the other development the building supervisor was totally incredible and bent over backwards to make the home buyers experience a positive one!

There are four things that I would recommend that you do. First if the development is currently in progress with other homes being built then take a minute and visit others under construction by that builder. Try to do this while the workers are there and talk to them. Ask them questions and look at the product being built. Get a feel for the types of contractors that development/builder is is using and see how they handle themselves on the job. Go back to those homes at close of business and see what the site looks like as far as general clean-up. Don't expect it to be clean but if they are leaving trash strewn around, crap all over including public areas, then you can get an idea of the quality of contractor they are using. And for those who think that is a load of malarkey since it is a building site then go find an actual professional framer, mason, electrician, etc., and look at their job site at the end of the day. Anyone with the pride and organization to at least perform some clean-up and policing of their areas tend to be very neat and methodical.

The next thing is to knock on doors of nearby neighbors who the builder has built homes for and introduce yourself to them. Let them know your getting ready to build and ask them what they thought of their experience. Not only is it a great way to start meeting your neighbors but also to learn what you need to ask and watch for with the builder and/or their supervisors.

Next is to be prepared to become intimately involved in the home's construction. You don't have to perform the construction obviously but be prepared to visit the site on a very regular basis to check its progress and watch for potential problems you might see and be aware of. Bring out some Gatorade, sodas, snacks, etc., and have a sit down with workers and offer them a break and what you have. A professional tradesperson won't talk all day but is proud of their work and will help educate you about the home and their part in the build. You'll be surprised how much you can learn about your own new home!

Have your home properly inspected by your own third party Inspector(s). The inspections performed by the City Building Department are not meant to be as extensive and complete as your own Inspections. The builder might be contracting for third party QC inspections but those Inspectors work for the builder and not you! They inspect to the standards or requirements of the builder and may or may not be as thorough as your own Inspector. These builder third party inspection reports are generally not made available to you anyhow. Even if they were you do not know what they are inspecting, how they are inspecting, and if they are actually performing a thorough inspection.

Good luck on the build!

Old 11-17-2012, 08:17 AM

8,564 posts, read 10,253,816 times
NY to Dallas area- advice needed

Welcome to Flower Mound...

Flow Mo Rap - YouTube

Old 11-17-2012, 09:17 AM

108 posts, read 150,060 times
A few months ago I moved with my son from MA to FLower Mound (he goes to FM high school). I chose this high school as it seemed they had slightly higher ratings. Marcus is also a great school - can't go wrong with either. I have to say I love FLower MOund and how everything I need is right here. I haven't traveled around much to give a perspective on Frisco but as you will see in all these posts, where you will work is critical. THere is lots of construction going on in many areas and you don't want to be spending hours in a car. You said your daughter is only 2 so you still have years before high school rolls around so I would focus more on the town (FM or Frisco) and where you will be working. Good Luck and I will say it is different down here than New England, but so far so good!

Old 11-17-2012, 01:08 PM

81 posts, read 117,584 times
First I would look at where your job is going to be. That might make your decision easier. I live in Flower Mound and have for 13 years. We love it here. Flower Mound schools are rated higher than Frisco schools but we also just liked the area better. I wouldn't worry about if your house is zoned to Marcus or Flower Mound High school. Both are really good schools and who knows which one will be rated higher by the time your daughter gets to high school anyway. Focus on getting a great elementary school and most of them in Flower Mound are.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:29 PM

12,489 posts, read 24,282,413 times
Flower Mound's schools are significantly better than Frisco's.

Both suburbs are on the northern fringes of the Dallas side of the metroplex, so again goes back to office location and how much of a commute you can tolerate.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:59 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. We will definitely use all your advice Escanlan. As far as work is concerned, my husband works in Oklahoma currently, and plans on transitioning to Dallas area eventually. As long as there are hospitals nearby, it doesn't matter which area we move to. We just want a family friendly area with shopping, groceries, etc. nearby. Preferably a less traffic area. Seems like homes are a little cheaper in Flower Mound vs Frisco (Toll Brother communities). It sounds like most of you prefer Flower Mound so far (same as me). My husbands all about Frisco, however he hates traffic (part of the reason we left NY). Based on what I've read so far, Frisco seems to have more traffic, is that correct?

Old 11-17-2012, 03:55 PM

10,611 posts, read 22,599,503 times
Honestly, both places have their own share of traffic. Frisco is on the Dallas North Rollway and 121, both of which are heavily traveled toll roads. FloMo isn't on a freeway, so it gets traffic on its surface streets heading out of town in the morning and back into town in the evening. Neither city is particularly close to a large hospital. Most of the big hospitals in DFW are along I35E in Dallas and just south of downtown in Fort Worth. There are a few isolated hospitals in the suburbs, but those are the big ones.

So your husband will be commuting into Oklahoma for work every day? No matter where you live, that's going to get REALLY old...

Old 11-17-2012, 04:04 PM

Christie his schedule is 1 week on/ 1 week off. The weeks he is working we would be in Oklahoma, the weeks he's off Dallas. I can't stand Oklahoma (at least where we live) because there's absolutely nothing here, except for his work, which he loves. As much as I can't stand OK, I love Dallas lol. Eventually we want to settle permanently in the Dallas area.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:09 AM

Can anyone comment on the realtor part?
Moderator cut: no names allowed, send OP a DM

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-18-2012 at 11:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas